Cycling myths or common-knowledge you'd like to see dispelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
One moron (I don't use the word lightly), a young woman I worked with recently said it was unfair that us older people in social care had to cycle as we couldn't afford cars on our wages. I kid you not! Mind you, as an answer to her utter lack of concern about the environment when deforestation was mentioned she said we could easily just regrow forests in countries that don't use cars as much!

Twilkes

Guru
Actually I imagine you probably would be some seconds faster over a 40km TT on a whizz bang bike, compared with a non-latest, non-light, non-aero etc. bike regardless of your weight and fitness.

I'm pretty heavy (ok, not 100kg any more but I'm no lightweight) and I do normally ride around at 12mph on the flat. I think I'd expect to shave a few seconds off such an effort by using a fancy bike. If I was interested in doing 40km TTs. But I'm not.

Whether it would be actually 25 seconds or more or less I don't have a clue.

I think the myth is that if you are suddenly 25 seconds faster over 40km, anybody cares. Unless they're paying you to be fast.

The biggest myth among the cycle haters is

all cyclists.............

add in whatever
jump red light
ride on the pavement
knock down old ladies and ride off

anything - some cyclists do whatever - OK
just like not ALL car drivers drive while on the phone
some do
not all

but every time a cycle hating article comes up in the (enter name of newspaper here) you get comments saving ALL CYCLISTS

This may be wrong
but I believe that cyclist were more skilful and better when we had PROPER gear changes
10 speeds derailleur with no new fangled indexing and the levers on the frame - just in reach if you were low enough
so you have to take your hand off the bars for a number of seconds determined by you worthiness and change by using 'the force' or black magic
Damn that taught you to get in the right gear early
and steer through heavy traffic while doing do

damn snowflakes thinking they NEED gear changes on the bars and indexing

(of course I have indexed gears on my handlebars - I''m not stupid)

WHich brings up the myth that

if you spend load of money on more aero clothes, and pedals an bar and $everythingelse
and at the same time you spend loads more money on lighter forks and wheels and tyres

Then you are dedicated to fitness and this is shown by your improved times and speeds

err - no
if you want to get fit by cycling - make you bike and clothes comfy - so you can stay out longer on the same bike
more often
and eat better

and do it

classic33

Leg End Member
You must have your handlebars as low as possible. No spacers are allowed and your stem must be angled down.
Underseat low enough!
Mine.JPG

Top Bottom