Cycling myths or common-knowledge you'd like to see dispelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I compete in such things - trust me, *noone* will notice if my 2021 times are 25s faster than 2019!

(And it would be more like 40 riders, not thousands.)

TT = rider against the clock. So it's only really the top couple of places that anyone notices. People tend to notice roughly where they finish relateive to top-n-bottom (both in placings and time terms); but they rarely notice the times of individuals.
I think that's quite clear and simple! ;)

(In my OPINION it shouldnt' be rider+equipment against the clock, but that is a different issue, and I may hold the minority opinion! )

Suggest you stop trying to read this thread at teh same time as watching US election news. The male brain does not multi-task!*

*no doubt that's a myth too ...
yep it is of course - tho some women don't like you pointing this out - no-one really multi-tasks - they task swap like a ramshackle computer - kinda different.

Reactions: C R

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
TT = rider against the clock. So it's only really the top couple of places that anyone notices. People tend to notice roughly where they finish relateive to top-n-bottom (both in placings and time terms); but they rarely notice the times of individuals.
I think that's quite clear and simple! ;)

(In my OPINION it shouldnt' be rider+equipment against the clock, but that is a different issue, and I may hold the minority opinion! )
It is rider against the clock, the aero kit is available to everyone who wants it. And why not use the latest stuff to go faster for the same effort? That's progress and it is why we don't use the same bikes and clothing they did in the 1930s, things improve and move on.

I've raced with a rack+guards, and I've raced on a Lo-pro (admittedly old steel) bike. I know which was faster, but I also know it wasn't any more fun than the slower bike.

And I didn't trouble the podium with either setup, so why would anyone care how fast I went, OR what bike I used??

Clearly the 2 peeps above care a lot about having new faster stuff - fair enough. But bear in mind that's NOT the myth that was originally raised. Please try to stay on-topic!!! :smile: :P

C R

Guru
Myth: It is cool to ride around on bikes that are fancier or more expensive than mine. Fact: These people are doing it wrong, they are not proper cyclists and have more money than sense.

Myth: It is cool to ride around on bikes that are less fancy or cheaper than mine. Fact: These people are doing it wrong, it's a false economy and they are living in the past.
The corollary is that the bike I ride and how I ride is how things should be and everyone else either have more money than sense or are stuck in the past.

Svendo

Guru
yep it is of course - tho some women don't like you pointing this out - no-one really multi-tasks - they task swap like a ramshackle computer - kinda different.
Or to put it another way Brains are single thread processors; the variation is in efficiency of switching but that’s always less efficient than doing one thing at a time. ‘Never whistle while your pissing’ is I think how the Illuminatus’ trilogy put it; the risk being wet shoes!

Singlespeed bikes wear their drivetrain components more slowly so they last longer/need less maintenance.
One of my Rohloff Santos's is still on its first chainwheel sprocket and chain. It did 20,000 kilometres before i bought it at least 8 years ago. I think the same applies to my electric bike with shimano 8 speed hub which has 6000 miles on it. Wouldn't the same apply to singlespeed set up??

Top Bottom