Cycling myths or common-knowledge you'd like to see dispelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
You must have your handlebars as low as possible. No spacers are allowed and your stem must be angled down.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
KOPS - Knee over pedal spindle

Womens bikes

Power meters being for racers

Turbo training isn't real training

Disc brakes are dangerous

Strength training for endurance based sport

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You must have your handlebars as low as possible. No spacers are allowed and your stem must be angled down.
Technically, no bike is ever designed to be ridden with spacers under the stem. But there has to be some level of adjustment because hoomans aren't all the same

Quick release spindles/axles are obsolete.

Square taper is obsolete.

Bikes with "obsolete" parts will suddenly fall apart/the wheels drop off like a circus clown car.

And their sad owners will no longer be able to get spares.

And the marketing nazis have raided warehouses and garages across the nation/world and fired all the remaining bits off to a distant planet. Any that don't make it there will burn up on re-entry.

If Chain Reaction no longer stocks a certain bit of your bike you may as well just send it to the tip now or send it to a museum.

Quick note about the 'road tax' myth
Road tax (as they call it) is based on emissions
Hence if bike were charged - they would pay zero
However they would greatly increase the admin and postage and other stuff
Hence the cost to run it would rise
Hence - the costs for the people who DO pay it (i.e. the idiot car driver who is shouting at you) would pay more for it if bikes were included
Just a thought

More on topic

all car driver hate cyclists

I find that the vast majority of driver act perfectly well

of course if 500 cars pass you properly - you will remember the one that missed you by the thickness of a coat of paint!!

OP
OP
TempleDancer

TempleDancer

I find that the vast majority of driver act perfectly well

I'll probably get flattened by a white van tomorrow, but yep, in all my years of cycling I can count on one hand the number of properly bad encounters I've had with drivers.

For the most part, everyone is happy just to get along.
(I assume they are happy, they could be frothing with invective and spittle, but I can't hear them and they still pass me with enough room to spare).

D

Deleted member 1258

My neighbour couldn't understand why I had bought a bike when I already had a car.

With two of the engineering companies I worked for years ago I drove the works vans, it confused everybody when they realized I could drive but didn't own a car and cycled everywhere, same as a few years later when I brought my first car but continued to cycle to work and only drove in when it was raining.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With two of the engineering companies I worked for years ago I drove the works vans, it confused everybody when they realized I could drive but didn't own a car and cycled everywhere, same as a few years later when I brought my first car but continued to cycle to work and only drove in when it was raining.
someone at work asked if i had a driving license last week

I'll probably get flattened by a white van tomorrow
Maybe - I once on a forum/list countered someone's rant that London bus drivers hate cyclists by saying that in my experience they were generally excellent - that very day or the next I had a run in with one who almost knocked me off and couldn't have cared less - all has been well since.
I'd stay in bed tomorrow.

Top Bottom