Cycling Northern Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Me and a friend are thinking about touring possibly Northern Ireland. There's the Giant's Causeway. What else is there? I've heard the coast route is good. We might cycle around the Isle of Man on the way.

classic33

Leg End Member

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh!

What have you done?

Now I'm going to have to plan a trip to NI!

It looks wonderful, and I have family just over the border.
Tap the tag "Ireland", as shown in the picture, and you'll get a few more ideas that have been posted over the years.

kenam

Regular
Ards peninsula can be lovely, cut across toward Antrim then north. Lots of great routes and roads.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A2 Coast Rd from Larne all the way round. Stop at the Glendun Viaduct (or turn off here through Slievenorra) Vanishing Lake(Loughareema Road) descend into Ballyvoy for a pint at Hunters Bar then the short leg to Ballycastle.

Carrick a Rede rope bridge at Ballintoy and onto the Giants Causeway (there are also some Game of Thrones locations in area?)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Broadening the perspective a little bit, remember that the province of Ulster comprises three counties from the Republic as well as the six of Northern Ireland:

By Future Perfect at Sunrisederivative work: Hogweard (talk) - Ireland_complete.svg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16459639

I think that's just asking to be cycled around. I did this in October 1985, starting and finishing in Dublin, and going clockwise. This was my route, about 520 miles in total, probably the most satisfyingly complete tour I ever did:

It's opinion, of course, but in my view the four "must sees" are the Mourne coast road in South Down, the Fermanagh lakeland, County Donegal, and the Antrim Coast. They all link up easily. The particular locations mentioned in this thread are mostly in Antrim and would be hard to miss when following the coast all the way round.

If I ever go again, I'd particularly like to see the twin cathedrals in Armagh, both dedicated to St Patrick, symbolically opposing each other across a valley running through the city. At the time I was advised against venturing that way.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
4093ECEA-572A-4885-8F6C-22A8540B113B.jpeg

Nice route...one change I would suggest is circled in blue - much less busier with traffic and more scenic...there is a ferry across strangford lough and the coast road to Newcastle has stunning views of the Mournes...and is flat too :smile:

83B5078B-C1EC-4616-AF4C-F43C51A6C0DB.jpeg

61FB3FEA-D122-48DF-B072-342A17D77ECF.jpeg

Last edited:

davidphilips

Veteran
View attachment 499651
Nice route...one change I would suggest is circled in blue - much less busier with traffic and more scenic...there is a ferry across strangford lough and the coast road to Newcastle has stunning views of the Mournes...and is flat too :smile:

View attachment 499653
View attachment 499654
Ferry from portaferry to Strangford only costs £1 for cyclist and bike (one way) or Free with a bus pass, this is one of my regular runs and have to agree its a great cycle.

Top Bottom