Cycling Northern Ireland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
View attachment 499651
Nice route...one change I would suggest is circled in blue - much less busier with traffic and more scenic...there is a ferry across strangford lough and the coast road to Newcastle has stunning views of the Mournes...and is flat too :smile:

View attachment 499653
View attachment 499654
I completely agree, but the circumstances were what they were. I've shown what actually happened rather than what I might ideally have done.

The Ards Peninsula wasn't on my plan that week, but in the event I left Co Donegal a bit quickly after quite a rough time, and this put me a bit up on my schedule. Later on I was visiting a friend who lived in a large, comfortable house just outside Downpatrick. With the extra time available I really ought to have diverted around Strangford Lough, but Downpatrick offered comfy armchairs, baths, food, wine and large beds. What would you have done? I couldn't have imagined that 34 years later I still would not have returned. :sad:

I love your sunset picture, by the way. I have one of the Mournes from the morning I left Downpatrick. Not the same quality of image, but the traffic volume is what we like to see:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I completely agree, but the circumstances were what they were. I've shown what actually happened rather than what I might ideally have done.

The Ards Peninsula wasn't on my plan that week, but in the event I left Co Donegal a bit quickly after quite a rough time, and this put me a bit up on my schedule. Later on I was visiting a friend who lived in a large, comfortable house just outside Downpatrick. With the extra time available I really ought to have diverted around Strangford Lough, but Downpatrick offered comfy armchairs, baths, food, wine and large beds. What would you have done? I couldn't have imagined that 34 years later I still would not have returned. :sad:

I love your sunset picture, by the way. I have one of the Mournes from the morning I left Downpatrick. Not the same quality of image, but the traffic volume is what we like to see:

View attachment 499766
Brilliant photo. I have just moved to the Downpatrick area from the north west of NI and still finding my way around County Down but it has some wonderful if not lumpy scenery.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Broadening the perspective a little bit, remember that the province of Ulster comprises three counties from the Republic as well as the six of Northern Ireland:

View attachment 499631
By Future Perfect at Sunrisederivative work: Hogweard (talk) - Ireland_complete.svg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16459639

I think that's just asking to be cycled around. I did this in October 1985, starting and finishing in Dublin, and going clockwise. This was my route, about 520 miles in total, probably the most satisfyingly complete tour I ever did:

View attachment 499632

It's opinion, of course, but in my view the four "must sees" are the Mourne coast road in South Down, the Fermanagh lakeland, County Donegal, and the Antrim Coast. They all link up easily. The particular locations mentioned in this thread are mostly in Antrim and would be hard to miss when following the coast all the way round.

If I ever go again, I'd particularly like to see the twin cathedrals in Armagh, both dedicated to St Patrick, symbolically opposing each other across a valley running through the city. At the time I was advised against venturing that way.

Interesting, I was wondering about cycling on to Dublin and coming back to Liverpool that way. I was thinking going Liverpool to Belfast to start with. I hear County Down is particularly beautiful. Me and my mate have about a fortnight, but two days of that are traveling. I prefer going to the pub than knocking myself out cycling these days, so a daily average of 60 miles would be maximum.

Also, I am aware Ulster includes three counties over the border. My Irish grandparents retired to County Cavan. Me any my brother used to spend our summer holidays with them in the early 80's. One complication of this trip is that I ought to visit my uncle who's on death row.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
What are the hostels like in Ireland? I cycled Mizzen Head to Malin Head about 15 years ago. I stayed in a hostel at Malin Head itself, but otherwise I stayed at B+Bs.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Broadening the perspective a little bit, remember that the province of Ulster comprises three counties from the Republic as well as the six of Northern Ireland:

View attachment 499631
By Future Perfect at Sunrisederivative work: Hogweard (talk) - Ireland_complete.svg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16459639

I think that's just asking to be cycled around. I did this in October 1985, starting and finishing in Dublin, and going clockwise. This was my route, about 520 miles in total, probably the most satisfyingly complete tour I ever did:

View attachment 499632

It's opinion, of course, but in my view the four "must sees" are the Mourne coast road in South Down, the Fermanagh lakeland, County Donegal, and the Antrim Coast. They all link up easily. The particular locations mentioned in this thread are mostly in Antrim and would be hard to miss when following the coast all the way round.

If I ever go again, I'd particularly like to see the twin cathedrals in Armagh, both dedicated to St Patrick, symbolically opposing each other across a valley running through the city. At the time I was advised against venturing that way.

Rather than go through Letterkenny which is a busy town traffic wise. You could go across to the Rathmullan - Buncrana ferry. You then may as well get over to Malin Head (most northerly point) then come down the north coast to Greencastle then get the Greencastle - Magilligan ferry and onwards to Coleraine.

Top Bottom