cycling on canal towpath encounter with dog walker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hello everyone..my first post as had an incident this morning and could do with some advice.
I cycle an 18 mile route 3 or 4 times per week. 10 mile of the trip is canal towpath.
was cycling on the towpath into a head wind and probably doing 9 or 10 miles per hour.
the stretch of canal has a mooring spot for about 30 boats and for about a mile it has a 5mph speed limit.
any way as I am cycling I saw a bloke standing at the side of the canal talking to someone on a boat at the far side of the canal...he had 2 huge dogs on a long lead and the lead stretched right across the tow path, causing me to stop.
He then turned to me and aggresively stated that there was a 5mph limit on here ( despite not seeing my approach speed ) and was as good as threatening me in his whole demeanor.
I rode away suggesting to him that he should keep his dogs under control and not block a cycling path.
I accept that I was doing more than 5mph but I really believe that his handling of his dogs and the way he conducted himself was far more of an issue.
I could easily bump into this guy again and would like to know the best way to handle him in your opinion.
cheers.

Norm

A cheery smile, a wave and a call of "Good morning, how are you today?"

OP
OP
M

matt butler

I do that already norm...ring my bell and job lot...this guy just had a real attitude...can understand if I had been doing 15-20 mph but was into a headwind.
If I felt I was cycling recklessly then I would have said fair cop....but I wasnt and always cycle with pedestrians in mind.

OP
OP
M

matt butler

I definitely think we will recognise each other Lee...my point is that I feel he was the one causing a potential accident with his thin lead stretching across my path....he then assumed that I was belting along despite not seeing me coming....could you just walk away from a situation if you really felt that you had done nothing but break a 5mph speed limit ( I was going jogging pace ).

Eddie

Exactly why I never go on any form of cycling infrastructure. I'd rather ride on a dual carriage way than share a canal path with idiotic dog owners and be subjected to a 5mph speed limit.

Pauluk

matt I wouldn't sleep at night if I let every pillock I encounter get to me. Most peds I meet along my local tow path are absolutely fine but you're bound to meet the odd one or two belligerent people on your bike travels.

What you have described pales into insignificance compare to what some people on here have endured so don't let it bother you. Also remember peds and peds with dogs have priority on a shared facility and as you have pointed out you were slightly in the wrong anyway even if he behaved in an ignorant way.

Just forget about it and if you meet him again, don't let it put you off, just go very slow until you have passed him

OP
OP
M

matt butler

been cycling 3 years pauluk and really considerate to motorists and pedestrians....I feel that the vast majority are fine but this guy was just spoiling for a war...he was at least 3 stone bigger than me and perhaps if we meet again I may come off worse but I am spitting feathers that he actually feels that... a...he is in the right and... b...he thinks he has the right to prevent me from cycling on my normal route ( which I take to avoid boy racers etc ).
really not sure how I will react if he stops me again.

Peteaud

Veteran
If you pass him again just say hello on the way past.

Kill em with kindness always works, even if they are a bit of a jewson.

(jewson - plank)

Lee_M

Guru
I definitely think we will recognise each other Lee...my point is that I feel he was the one causing a potential accident with his thin lead stretching across my path....he then assumed that I was belting along despite not seeing me coming....could you just walk away from a situation if you really felt that you had done nothing but break a 5mph speed limit ( I was going jogging pace ).

Oh god no, I'm crap at letting this go, but I am 6'3" and weigh 15 stone so tend to just try and let go of it otherwise I might just push him in the canal

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
That incident ended when you rode away. Treat any future encounter with a fresh slate.
He may very well have known that he was causing an obstruction with his dogs, and as you say, he didn't see your approach. So, he could have just been feeling a touch embarrassed as he was also talking to someone at the time, so got a bit defensive with you.
The chances are he is normally an A1 bloke, so let it go, take it nice and slow when around animals and folks and hopefully, all will be well with the world.
If you do see him again and he turns out to be one nasty nutter :wacko:, come back and tell us and I reckon the advice will be adjusted accordingly. ^_^

Norm

I do that already norm...ring my bell and job lot...this guy just had a real attitude...can understand if I had been doing 15-20 mph but was into a headwind.
If I felt I was cycling recklessly then I would have said fair cop...
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise but, unfortunately, some people in life will be twats. IMO, the two alternatives (at the extreme) are to smile, wave and say Hi, or lump him one. Anything other than the cheery wave might be heading down the latter path.

If the options are to baffle him by cheerfulness or slap him, I'd always start with the former.

Glyn

Regular
I’m with the cheery good morning it’s difficult for people to be nasty if you’re being nice, mind you there’re a lot of nutters out there

If you do exchange words you can point out, as you are on a byway and if his dogs cause an accident he will be liable.

Top Bottom