Cycling on dual carriageway and car beeps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I have been beeped at for using one of the main roads near me - not even a dual carriageway!

I think some drivers are just surprised to see someone on certain busy fast roads and assume they should not be there

There are dual carriageways around Runcorn that I have ended up on a few times when I have been lost and following road signs - but they are labelled as an "Expressway" and look quite like a Motorway (with a cheap hard shoulder) and I would not like to ride on them
However, there is no signs saying you are not allowed until you get to the new bridge - where bikes are certainly not allowed

Naturally there are no signs saying where a cyclist should go rather than going across the bridge - just that you can;t go across the bridge

and - also naturally - all the signs direct you towards the Expressways and they all end up at the bridge (note the bridge - not The Bridge which refers to the old Bridge - just to make it simple!)

People should realise - road signs are for drivers - not cyclists

So stop signs, no access signs, red traffic lights don't apply to cyclists?🤔

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think that's a Scottish thing, the new A68 south of Edinburgh and the old A90 north of Edinburgh had that bylaw. I'm not sure if such bylaws are legal in England.

The A505 Baldock bypass is prohibited to cyclists. Maybe because it goes through a tunnel.
I do regret not sneaking through for a ride before it opened.

GetFatty

Über Member
It might be legal but dual carriageways aren't safe for cycling.

Sorry but I call rubbish on that. I've ridden a few long distances solo and frequently the quickest way from A to B is down a dual carriageway. You also find that quite often they have a better surface than smaller roads although some areas still prefer concrete slabs (yes I'm looking at you Essex). I also find that because there is extra space, motorists will often cross the lane marker to give you more space.

Don't cycle right up against the left hand side but also I wouldn't advocate taking the entire left lane, just make sure you're visible and it's clear you're not moving from your position.

Alex321

Veteran
It might be legal but dual carriageways aren't safe for cycling.

It really isn't as clear cut as that. Some are, some aren't.

The stretch of the A465 between Resolvcen and Aberdulais is frequently used for Time Trials I used to drive that road almost every thursday when I lived near Merthyr and had Morris dancing in the Swansea area, and roughly every other week during the summer, there would be a TT going on.

But that road is not super busy, and has very good sight lines.

There are a few others I would ride on quite happily, and a lot more that I wouldn't go near if I could possibly avoid it.

Jody

Stubborn git
Sorry but I call rubbish on that. I've ridden a few long distances solo and frequently the quickest way from A to B is down a dual carriageway. You also find that quite often they have a better surface than smaller roads although some areas still prefer concrete slabs (yes I'm looking at you Essex). I also find that because there is extra space, motorists will often cross the lane marker to give you more space.

Don't cycle right up against the left hand side but also I wouldn't advocate taking the entire left lane, just make sure you're visible and it's clear you're not moving from your position.

People do it and it's legal but for me, sharing a twin lane road with cars doing 70 is not safe.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

look quite like a Motorway (with a cheap hard shoulder) and I would not like to ride on them

Sounds like the road I was on - the A6 in Leicestershire.
I was riding on the 'cheap hard shoulder' as you put it... a marked-off area, about 4ft-wide, between the left rumble-strip and a solid white line. I felt safer in that area.
Maybe the driver took umbrage that I wasn't on the main carriageway.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sounds like the road I was on - the A6 in Leicestershire.
I was riding on the 'cheap hard shoulder' as you put it... a marked-off area, about 4ft-wide, between the left rumble-strip and a solid white line. I felt safer in that area.
Maybe the driver took umbrage that I wasn't on the main carriageway.

I know it was down to a navigational fail, but whilst not illegal, it doesn't seem to be a pleasant or desirable place to cycle, and quite dangerous too, especially around slip road area's and any side draft from large lorries passing 4ft from your right shoulder.

Punkawallah

Über Member
While it may be legal to cycle on dual carriageways, the likelihood of being wiped out by vehicles using slip roads is high.

Jody

Stubborn git
Sweeping oversimplistic statement made regarding cycling safety shocker.

I'll just nip over to the helmets thread for some more.

It is a sweeping generalisation but I can't see how you could argue a dual carriage way is safe for cyclists.

Crack on if you want to but it's a no from me.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

... quite dangerous too, especially around slip road area's and any side draft from large lorries passing 4ft from your right shoulder.

I take your point about the slip roads, but this was just a straight section between 2 roundabouts, a tad over a mile in length.

Top Bottom