Cycling on dual carriageway and car beeps...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
These days my cycling is mostly for pleasure, so i don't plan dual carriageways and roundabouts as my route, but it's hard to avoid them completely.

I find them okay with lots of careful observation, enthusiastic signalling and owning the lane.

It's a little worrying when you know there's been a cyclist fatality there previously.

Twilkes

Guru
Before I did JoGLE about twenty five years ago, someone gave me advice (or I read it) that when approaching an on-slip while you're on the main carriageway, you should look and signal left as soon as you can, to pass in front of any vehicles that might be accelerating but before they reach their target speed, move to the left of the slip and then carry on and join the main road again as if it was continuous.

Never had a problem doing this, and most drivers realised what I was doing, and it keeps you from coming into conflict with vehicles whose drivers are trying to check mirrors or look round for traffic while merging.

I did ride on the expressway near our house once

Great road for riding on - nice surface and not much traffic

Mind you - that was a mistake due to lack of cycle path signage (no indication that the shared cycle lane was ending)
and it was during the first lockdown so there was very very little traffic - only got passed my one car!

No way I would do it at any other time - speed of the cars - and especially the lorries - is too high and there is only a short hard shoulder type thing
and you would be very unsafe when you came to a junction

however, I have checked and bike are actually allowed - no signs saying any prohibited traffic
so I presume horses are allowed as well!!!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've ridden (and will continue to ride) short sections of "national speed limit" DCs. My issue with it isn't that it's necessarily unsafe, but that it's horrible. But sometimes unavoidable.

Some DCs, where you have a bit of hard shoulder and good sightlines are fine (but still horrible). Yet others, in more urban settings with lower speeds and frequent roundabouts are similarly safe (and horrible). And yes, others are undeniably dangerous and I don't ride them.

Varies case by case.

Unfortunately the road planners sometimes leave little choice.

Jody

Stubborn git
What about a single lane (each way) road with traffic going 60 (at least!) ?

60 at least on a single lane road?

No I don't think they are safe either. Encountered one d*ck head to many which is why I stopped riding my road bike. It's not worth the risk.

presta

Guru
Didn't intend to cycle on it but it was the only real way to get from A to B on an unfamiliar route.
Same here. I don't use dual carriageways out of preference but there's a limit to how far I'll go out of my way to avoid one, and that limit varies according to how much energy I have.
I think that's a Scottish thing, the new A68 south of Edinburgh and the old A90 north of Edinburgh had that bylaw. I'm not sure if such bylaws are legal in England.
Cycles are banned on our bypass (Braintree Essex). I rode on this one at Oldham once because I was a bit lost and it was easy to identify on my road atlas.
Cycle on the A19 dual carriageway south from the Tyne Tunnel and there is more than a fair chance of you meeting your demise.
You will also get HGVs blasting full horn in an attempt to confirm your insanity as they try to pass without causing a major 50 vehicle+ pileup.

Like the A689 from Billingham to Stockton you are insanely allowed on.
I did the A66 through Middlesborough, then the A19 and A689 as far as Butterwick. I'd planned to cross the transporter bridge then head for Sedgefield, but I couldn't find the bridge.
I have been beeped at for using one of the main roads near me - not even a dual carriageway!
I thought I was in for a lecture about cycling on main roads when I saw a copper cross the road towards me as I was crossing the Mendips on the A38. It turned out he was bored sat in his van, and thought I might like the photo he'd taken of me with the speed trap camera.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Anyway this car goes past me and beeps. I wasn't in his way or owt and the road wasn't busy. Not sure what his beef was to be honest.
I have been beeped - not only the once either - on a local residential side street, with speed bumps.
The street is part of a NCR, leads to a school, a health centre and sheltered housing.
I wouldn't worry about it.

GetFatty

Über Member
I was once asked to leave the A2 near Gravesend by a motorway patrol. My mate was visibly knackered and the guy was very clear he had no right to ask me to leave but felt it would be best. I have cycled that stretch a few times since.

All uphill

Still rolling along
A few years ago I was surprised to see the definition of a dual carriageway.

This is one that I would cycle..

start.jpg

Top Bottom