Cycling on the A14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

I have recently started to work on he Science Park ... from Quy ... right now I am having to go into town and out again ...

Are you using the NCN route ? Out the back of the Newmarket Road Park and Ride, Ditton Meadows, Stourbridge Common, over the bridge, Green End Road, Milton Road. That's quite a pleasant route, a mile more, but miles more smiles.

I have recently started to work on he Science Park, and coming in from two junctions east on the A14 (Quy) the shortest route recommended by cycle jounrey planner (http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/) was to go on the A14. This would be a nice shortcut for me - right now I am having to go into town and out again, but did not somehow feel safe to go on the A14 especially in rush hour.... :tongue: Wish there was a more direct east-west route tho!

I used to live in Bottisham and often went into Cambridge not too far from the science park, I always went down under the A14, on the cycle path, right to Fen Ditton, straight on at crossroads then cycle path alongside river, over bridge into Water Lane, Green End Rd and Milton road. All fairly hassle free and mostly quiet.

I have recently started to work on he Science Park, and coming in from two junctions east on the A14 (Quy) the shortest route recommended by cycle jounrey planner (http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/) was to go on the A14. This would be a nice shortcut for me - right now I am having to go into town and out again, but did not somehow feel safe to go on the A14 especially in rush hour.... :tongue: Wish there was a more direct east-west route tho!

If you favour cycle-paths take the NCN as pshore suggests.

If you want the shortest route do what totallyfixed says, turn right at High Ditch Rd down to Fen Ditton, over the cross-roads and down to the end of the High Street which then runs in to the cycle-path at the river. These two roads are very quite anyway.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cross wind most of the time on that bridge, used to make riding my motorcycle over it interesting..
I'm sure you're right. You can feel it in a car - the design of the side of the bridge will accellerate a side wind. And it is high up. But - come a strong westerley........

They do time trials along it fairly regularly. There have been a number of deaths over the years. I have ridden the road a few times between Ipswich and Felixstowe, but with age comes wisdom, or cowardice, and I don't think I would do it now.

If the A14 is that bad why is it allowed? I am pretty sure I read that CTT has a traffic flow limit which cut out some "bad" roads like this...

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I used to live in Bottisham and often went into Cambridge not too far from the science park, I always went down under the A14, on the cycle path, right to Fen Ditton, straight on at crossroads then cycle path alongside river, over bridge into Water Lane, Green End Rd and Milton road. All fairly hassle free and mostly quiet.

That's definately the route I'd choose (I live in Swaffham Bulbeck). There is another, pleasant alternative from Quy would be west down Station Road, then turn left along the old railway line (not public access - but the farmer's a top bloke and has no problem with bikes) and then right along the drove way that comes out at Horningsea Road. Cross the River Cam at Bait's Bite Lock and the head for the Science Park through Milton. This is definately only a Summer route as too muddy in winter, but unbeatable if you enjoy the countryside, have time for a pint on the way home and aren't in a rush. Which I rarely am. I shudder at the thought of cycling on the A14 :ohmy:

RRCC

Guru
The most terrifying road signs that I have ever seen are the "beware pedestians crossing" signs on the A14 near the junction with the M1

pshore

This thread has provoked a thought for me.

When I first got back into cycling, I would always find myself navigating in my head like I would in the car, trying to take the quickest and most direct route to anywhere.

After a while, you start to discover the alternative routes which are often far more pleasant, and for me, seem to put me back in touch with the communities we travel through. The non-direct routes are far more interesting and you start to enjoy journeys rather than dread them.

If you are going to spend time to get to some place, you might as well enjoy that time even if it does take a little longer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I first got back into cycling, I would always find myself navigating in my head like I would in the car, trying to take the quickest and most direct route to anywhere.

After a while, you start to discover the alternative routes which are often far more pleasant, and for me, seem to put me back in touch with the communities we travel through. The non-direct routes are far more interesting and you start to enjoy journeys rather than dread them.
I agree!

When I plot a new route, I start off drawing a straight line between the start and finish points.

I then work out possible ways of avoiding any significant built-up areas that the line crosses. Villages are okay, small towns I can put up with, large towns and cities - no thanks!

Then I try and eliminate as many A-roads and busy B-roads as possible. I often end up with a route which is 90% unclassified roads, and only passes through a few villages (preferably ones with good cafes).

This method works for me! I don't ride in heavy traffic very often; my routes are scenic and quiet. A14 - no!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Don't see the fuss. This forum has got a bit nasty, we seem to be having rather a lot of anti-A road cycling threads at the moment.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Don't see the fuss. This forum has got a bit nasty, we seem to be having rather a lot of anti-A road cycling threads at the moment.

Don't see the fuss ?, on the road that leads to Britains busiest container port and getting busier with HGV's year on year .....

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Don't see the fuss ?, on the road that leads to Britains busiest container port and getting busier with HGV's year on year .....

It's up to someone whether they want to cycle on a particular road or not. Quite often the reasons are down to 'no reasonable alternative' and the people putting in the criticism haven't thought sufficiently about the issue (like with the A50 thread).

Top Bottom