Cycling on the A14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

My son and myself have just returned from a weekend visiting aircraft museums. On route from Cosford to Duxford we travelled along the A14 and low and behold we passed a cyclist travelling along the verge of the road. I was shocked to discover that this is actually a cycle lane running along the verge of a national speed limit unlit dual carriageway.
My question is, are there any members of this forum that cycle along this road?:thumbsup:

C

chillyuk

They do time trials along it fairly regularly. There have been a number of deaths over the years. I have ridden the road a few times between Ipswich and Felixstowe, but with age comes wisdom, or cowardice, and I don't think I would do it now.

We left Cambridge just over a couple of years ago and two of our older friends who we still see at time trials regularly cycle the A14. I did it once from Newmarket to Cambridge early on a Sunday morning and never again. BTW, TT's are not run on this part of the A14 but are nearer to Bury St Edmunds and I was never aware that the hard shoulder was ever meant to be used as a cycle path, but correct me if I am wrong.

JNR

They do time trials along it fairly regularly. There have been a number of deaths over the years. I have ridden the road a few times between Ipswich and Felixstowe, but with age comes wisdom, or cowardice, and I don't think I would do it now.

This road sounds like one near where I live where a promising club cyclist was recently killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-10901608

What are organisers thinking holding time trials along these sorts of roads? The road I linked to is basically a three lane motorway and nothing like the A road it is labelled as. Cycling along it would be absolute madness.

Camgreen

Cycling along the A14 would be utter madness IMHU; it can be dangerous enough driving on it!!!

Not quite the same road I know (almost as fast I'd say) is the A428 which is used for Time trials during the lighter Summer evenings; not sure if some of these involve any brief stretches of the A14 as both roads merge in places. Again you wouldn't catch me trying it, but each to their own I suppose.

pshore

I once got caught out on the MTB snapping a valve after a puncture. I called the missus for a rescue rendezvous and so not to make her go miles out of her way I decided to walk along the edge of the A14 with bike - J29 to 30 (Bar Hill to Dry Drayton just NW of Cambridge) it was just under a mile.

OMG, the thundering of trucks as they went past, I must have been nuts. I was walking right in the verge through stingers etc to keep as far away as possible, keeping left of any barriers around signs that might catch vehicles and save me. And, I have never seen so much litter, especially plastic bottles with yellow liquid in them.

I have never left home without a spare inner-tube since.

It is worse than a motorway in that area as it has motorway traffic, but no hard shoulder. There are crashes and hold ups very regularly between Cambridge and Huntingdon. I don't go on it on my motorbike in rush hour.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have ridden the road a few times between Ipswich and Felixstowe, but with age comes wisdom, or cowardice, and I don't think I would do it now.

Yep I did that once on a Saturday afternoon when I was running late and included a trip over the Orwell bridge. No matter how late I am running next time I won't be doing that again and I would not have even considered it had been on a weekday with the amount of HGV's there are on it.

PoliceMadAd

I've cycled the A50 in Derbys before, never again. 3 lane A-Road, 70 MPH traffic and lorries, won't be doing it again in a hurry.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
done that. Easy-peasy.

I have to say I've always fancied doing the Orwell Bridge on the A14. Early morning, following wind.......could be good!

Cross wind most of the time on that bridge, used to make riding my motorcycle over it interesting..

maggie_0

I have recently started to work on he Science Park, and coming in from two junctions east on the A14 (Quy) the shortest route recommended by cycle jounrey planner (http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/) was to go on the A14. This would be a nice shortcut for me - right now I am having to go into town and out again, but did not somehow feel safe to go on the A14 especially in rush hour.... :tongue: Wish there was a more direct east-west route tho!

Top Bottom