Cycling on the A14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For once I agree with Marinyork. Cyclists are allowed on A roads and it's personal choice whether you use them or not. If I'm on my own, I tend to take the direct route from a - b which often involves A roads. I think the busiest I've been on is the A2 at Gravesend in Kent which is just after it has been declassified from the M2 (there is no change in the road or the traffic, just a sign saying end of motorway). I was once asked, very politely, to leave by a Highways Agency man who admitted he had no right to ask but said he would feel more comfortable if I did!

I cycled up to town on the A2 about 15 years ago and vowed never again. The A2 from Rochester as far as Bexley is a motorway in all but name. (with 4 lanes in parts) Not too bad I suppose if you cycle on the hard shoulder, but I found the issue came when you had to go straight on when there was a turning off. So although a legal right, I am not sure it is one I intend to exercise. As for taking primary!

Fortunately there is a lovely alternative now, as the old A2 between Shorne and near Ebbsfleet has been turned into a dedicated pedestrian/cycle route. This is very wide for most of the way, thereby minimising issues with pedestrians and dogs.

gotta be mad to attempt cycling those roads.

similar dual carriageway through Milton Keynes but i would always cycle the extra few miles to avoid it - too many deaths on such a short road.

C

chillyuk

Cycling is prohibited on the A120 between Stansted Airport and Braintree, although I have sen the odd cyclist going along it. With the old A120, I don't know it's new number, running parallel with the new road I can't see why anyone would want to cycle the new road. As for the A14, I used to regularly ride it between Ipswich and Felixstowe when I was going fishing. I admit to taking the cowards route though and using the hard shoulder.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Cycling is prohibited on the A120 between Stansted Airport and Braintree, although I have sen the odd cyclist going along it. With the old A120, I don't know it's new number, running parallel with the new road I can't see why anyone would want to cycle the new road.

That's just mental. There's a perfectly good bridleway called the Flitch Way along that whole route- have done it myself and it's great. Horses bugger up the surface in places but rather that than playing with the HGVs. This link shows the bit from Dunmow, but the whole thing is great for bikes.
Flitch Way

C

chillyuk

That's just mental. There's a perfectly good bridleway called the Flitch Way along that whole route- have done it myself and it's great. Horses bugger up the surface in places but rather that than playing with the HGVs. This link shows the bit from Dunmow, but the whole thing is great for bikes.
Flitch Way

Funny you should mention that but whilst out for a ride this morning I went through Great Hallingbury and noticed an signed entrance to the Flitch Way. I will have to get the hybrid out and have a little explore.

lukesdad

Me too - let's not try to make A-roads no-go areas for cyclists!

I've not ridden on the A14 but I have done quite a lot of A-roads and dual carriageways - generally either in a time trial or when touring.

While most are ok and in many ways they feel safer than narrow single carriageway roads, there are some I wouldn't do. I found myself on the A3 near Godalming recently, just for a couple of miles, and it wasn't very pleasant. But last year I was trying to get from Beaconsfield to Hertford and, after several hours of going nowhere slowly on Sustrans routes, it was a real relief when I adopted plan B, got onto the A414 and did the last half in a third of the time of the first half. The A30 in Cornwall is fine too - did that the other week.

I found the A3 a great road to cycle on plenty of space and a good surface. Used it for years between guildford and petersfield.

mog35

A road cycle lanes. I blame the planners

There's something similarly harebrained on the A2 near Gravesend:

http://maps.google.c...,185.61,,0,9.91

I pass this a couple of times a week while travelling up to London by coach. It's nice that you can easily access the hard shoulder of an eight lane de facto motorway if you fancy a gentle ride along it.

Cardiac

Über Member
I found the A3 a great road to cycle on plenty of space and a good surface. Used it for years between guildford and petersfield.
A key difference between that part of the A3 and just about any part of the A14 is that the A14 has a much higher percentage of HGVs en route to/from the ports on the east coast. Nothing wrong with them per se, but they are often restricted in the room they can give cyclists by the cars whizzing around them, cutting in front of them etc.

I would do everything that I could to avoid cycling on the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge. West of Huntingdon it would still not be my first choice, but it would be a fair bit safer I think.

martint235

Dog on a bike
There's something similarly harebrained on the A2 near Gravesend:

http://maps.google.c...,185.61,,0,9.91

I pass this a couple of times a week while travelling up to London by coach. It's nice that you can easily access the hard shoulder of an eight lane de facto motorway if you fancy a gentle ride along it.

That road is ok for cycling. Ok it's not going to be a quiet pootle but if you're looking for the quickest way from a - b it's difficult to beat. At that point, I've found drivers to be accommodating to the fact that I'm there, pulling over one lane in a proper overtake, no beeping at me, etc and I don't cycle on the hard shoulder if I can help it, behave like any other road traffic if you can. It's when you get inside the M25 on the A2 that the fun starts

mog35

That road is ok for cycling. Ok it's not going to be a quiet pootle but if you're looking for the quickest way from a - b it's difficult to beat. At that point, I've found drivers to be accommodating to the fact that I'm there, pulling over one lane in a proper overtake, no beeping at me, etc and I don't cycle on the hard shoulder if I can help it, behave like any other road traffic if you can. It's when you get inside the M25 on the A2 that the fun starts

Really? It looks terrifying to me! That said, I got stuck in a nasty traffic jam at Dartford Heath a couple of weeks ago, and a bike would've been very handy to zip through the barely moving traffic. I can't say I've ever seen anyone cycling along there.

In the next few months I'm planning to ride from London back home to Margate. I'll probably go a different way though!

frank9755

Cyclist

The first bit was fine - a nice, fast downhill, but then the inside lane was coned off so it went to one lane and I had to join the traffic stream and felt a bit exposed. Without the cones it may well have been ok.

asterix

Comrade Member
done that. Easy-peasy.

I have to say I've always fancied doing the Orwell Bridge on the A14. Early morning, following wind.......could be good!

I used to cycle to work - Ipswich/ Felixstowe before and after they built the bridge. For some time after it opened the A14 was a very quiet road because drivers hadn't discovered it and cycling over the bridge was very pleasant (the lanes are narrow though and I used the pavement, it is also quite a steep climb up to the high point IIRC).

Sometimes there used to be the early morning mist blowing along the river, when it reached the bridge it was blown upwards and over like a tunnel of fog.

Unfortunately the traffic very soon built up and I went back to my old route through Ipswich.

lukesdad

The first bit was fine - a nice, fast downhill, but then the inside lane was coned off so it went to one lane and I had to join the traffic stream and felt a bit exposed. Without the cones it may well have been ok.

Ah that would make a difference, did you get as far as Hindhead ? ( wondered if the tunnel is finnished yet). The old A3 between Liphook and Petersfield is IMO one of the finest bits of road for riding in the South. No traffic what so ever.

Top Bottom