Cycling on the A14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's up to someone whether they want to cycle on a particular road or not. Quite often the reasons are down to 'no reasonable alternative' and the people putting in the criticism haven't thought sufficiently about the issue (like with the A50 thread).

Sorry not seen the A50 thread. Certainly there are plenty of alternatives to the A14 which are much more pleasant and scenic, it is the sheer number of HGV's currently going to and from Felixstowe that make this road on a weekday a life lottery.

Is there any google of this cycle lane ?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sorry not seen the A50 thread. Certainly there are plenty of alternatives to the A14 which are much more pleasant and scenic, it is the sheer number of HGV's currently going to and from Felixstowe that make this road on a weekday a life lottery.

It's not that I don't think some roads are utter madness to cycle on, merely that you'll get a cyclist who wants to ride from x to y and not a to b and for them it makes sense because there isn't always a parallel road, sometimes it'll be parallel ish, sometimes you get lucky. I'm very lucky on one ultra fast dual carriageway as there's a very nice parallel old road before the bypass was built. There's also such a huge variation in opinions, some people think roads I regard as totally tame are bad, others are a bit hard core than me and ride more often on some of the roads I regard as bad. Bans on cycling tend to penalise cyclists very heavily, it might not be this cyclist or that cyclist but one they've never thought of. When I talk about the bans on cyclists here I always get answer back from the authorities 'but why would you want to cycle on there' or 'no cyclists live up there'.

Will1985

Über Member
If the A14 is that bad why is it allowed? I am pretty sure I read that CTT has a traffic flow limit which cut out some "bad" roads like this...
You are correct that there is a traffic flow limit, although there are workarounds. If we take the V718 course up in Hull for example, it is the fastest course in the country and peak season TTs are scheduled to theoretically finish before the next batch of trucks roll off the ships at the port. In actual fact what happens is that the last 10-20 riders get a massive boost from passing vehicles. This is why Hutchinson has done a 17:57 on it! On a quiet Sunday morning it is no quicker than many single carriageway courses. The average traffic count for the whole event is quite low, but far too high if you only measure the last 30 minutes or so.

I drive from Bury St Edmunds to Birmingham on a frequent basis and know the roads very well - east of Cambridge it is generally a safer road IMO which is also why I'm happy to race on the B10/34 (west of BSE) which is quite fast but feels very safe. Equally there are numerous variants of the E2 which take in the A11 and A14 just east of Cambridge - I'm not so confident about that one.
I'm pretty sure there used to be a TT near Kettering but before the road was improved.

There are times when I feel safer racing on dual carriageways rather than single carriageways, especially when you are being passed by lorries and FastTracs. Timetrialling is safe IMO with signs and marshals, even though there are deaths nearly every year. You can't mitigate for morons in cars...event or no event. FWIW, I don't think I'd readily ride on a super fast DC outside of an event unless I absolutely had to.

A couple of years ago I ended up cycling on the A14 for about 3 miles up to Stowmarket after coming back from the Dun Run, when I became "temporarily unsure of my position". That's one navigational mistake I certainly wouldn't want to repeat. I don't mind normal dual carriageways but as others have said, it's more a quasi-motorway.

Maz

Guru
I cycled from Leicester to Cambridge last year. The direct route would've taken me along the A14.
No way I would do that!

I have cycled along it Fenstanton to Cambridge, I found it a little scary and a thrill, those lorry's really can drag you along, my mph increased without doing anything!.(I'd say 'Suck you along', but I know someone will edit and quote that line.) :smile:

I didn't know it was a cycle route, is it? I'd seen the signs at the exits guiding you to exit and re-join rather than just carry straight on. I did it on a weekend and most Lorries were great at overtaking in the far, outside lane,even though we were in the 'hard shoulder'
I knew a keen cyclist who regularly used to commute Huntingdon to Bar Hill because it is so straight- (old Roman Road) and fast (he didn't die, he just moved away!) Anyway, once was enough for me, we took the longer country route part NCN51? back from Cambridge and thankfully the the guided bus route (Which they want to make the new NCN51) is there now to cycle on....until the buses get going or they sort out the slight flooding problem.

The country Village route as an alternative to the A14 is longer and less direct, country roads aren't always safer. The Cycle route along side the bus guided track could have been a nice fast route but its a loose graveltrack(due to cost) which does almost doubles the time over the 12 mile route, I found, than if you take the smooth concrete guided bus track! Plus it is quite open to the wind, but that is the Fens for you.
I recommend trying the concrete track before the buses get going! As long as you are ok with keeping to a narrow 60cm ish width.

maggie_0

Thanks about the Station road - across to Milton tip. Currently I do go through Fen Ditton, but live on Station Rd so that track sounds tempting - will try look it up on the map and see if I can figure out the way. Roughly how long is the route from Quy to the Science park that way? Which farmer owns the land, feel like I should ask before I trespass - seen the "no access signs" up on the old railway route.
Shame in a way that the old railway route is shut and so overgrown, I think that would be quite a nice way into town too.

Suppose I won't be cycling for a while, have an ACL op next week and the recovery could take a while. :sad:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thanks about the Station road - across to Milton tip. Currently I do go through Fen Ditton, but live on Station Rd so that track sounds tempting - will try look it up on the map and see if I can figure out the way. Roughly how long is the route from Quy to the Science park that way? Which farmer owns the land, feel like I should ask before I trespass - seen the "no access signs" up on the old railway route.
Shame in a way that the old railway route is shut and so overgrown, I think that would be quite a nice way into town too.

Suppose I won't be cycling for a while, have an ACL op next week and the recovery could take a while. :sad:

Hi Maggie- I'll PM you the farmer's details when I get home from work later. The no access sign he told me is to discourage cars/ motorbikes as he's fed up with flytipping. He has no problems with cyclists but prob no harm to call him - he appreciated it when I did. (If anyone else plans to use this route- please contact the landowner first)

Attached, the quiet route to the Science Park from Quy across the Fen. Probably not accessible yet, but great in Summer when dry. . Cross reference with O.S map for detail. Google Earth says it's 4.9 miles- doddle!

Attachments

• Quy to Science Park Quiet Route.jpg
    Quy to Science Park Quiet Route.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 48

maggie_0

On Saturday I was driving to Bury St Edmunds on the A14, and there was some sort of cycling event taking place - looked way too crazy to me! Possibly a time trial?

I couldn't believe although there were 3 lanes I saw 2 cars who didn't actually pull into the middle lane, just drove straight past the cyclists in the same lane not giving them a lot of space, at 70+ mph...
unsure.gif

On Saturday I was driving to Bury St Edmunds on the A14, and there was some sort of cycling event taking place - looked way too crazy to me! Possibly a time trial?

I couldn't believe although there were 3 lanes I saw 2 cars who didn't actually pull into the middle lane, just drove straight past the cyclists in the same lane not giving them a lot of space, at 70+ mph...
unsure.gif

Proximity and speed of vehicles are good for time trials - granted its pretty dangerous, thats without the shitty attitudes you get from some motorists.

CTT has flow limits on their courses though, so you shouldn't get many like this.

martint235

Dog on a bike
For once I agree with Marinyork. Cyclists are allowed on A roads and it's personal choice whether you use them or not. If I'm on my own, I tend to take the direct route from a - b which often involves A roads. I think the busiest I've been on is the A2 at Gravesend in Kent which is just after it has been declassified from the M2 (there is no change in the road or the traffic, just a sign saying end of motorway). I was once asked, very politely, to leave by a Highways Agency man who admitted he had no right to ask but said he would feel more comfortable if I did!

Bits of the A20 are also a bit busy but with both the A2 and the A20, I've never had any problems with traffic until I've passed within the M25 and then the nutters seem to come out!!

frank9755

Cyclist
For once I agree with Marinyork. Cyclists are allowed on A roads and it's personal choice whether you use them or not. If I'm on my own, I tend to take the direct route from a - b which often involves A roads. I think the busiest I've been on is the A2 at Gravesend in Kent which is just after it has been declassified from the M2 (there is no change in the road or the traffic, just a sign saying end of motorway). I was once asked, very politely, to leave by a Highways Agency man who admitted he had no right to ask but said he would feel more comfortable if I did!

Bits of the A20 are also a bit busy but with both the A2 and the A20, I've never had any problems with traffic until I've passed within the M25 and then the nutters seem to come out!!

Me too - let's not try to make A-roads no-go areas for cyclists!

I've not ridden on the A14 but I have done quite a lot of A-roads and dual carriageways - generally either in a time trial or when touring.

While most are ok and in many ways they feel safer than narrow single carriageway roads, there are some I wouldn't do. I found myself on the A3 near Godalming recently, just for a couple of miles, and it wasn't very pleasant. But last year I was trying to get from Beaconsfield to Hertford and, after several hours of going nowhere slowly on Sustrans routes, it was a real relief when I adopted plan B, got onto the A414 and did the last half in a third of the time of the first half. The A30 in Cornwall is fine too - did that the other week.

Top Bottom