Cycling on the A595

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DefBref

Über Member
I'm interested in how successful the upgrading of the cycle path on the coast past Seascale has been. When I used it a few years ago the bit with soft sand were sufficient to put me off pushing our loaded tourers along it. I would love to hear this wouldn't be a problem now.

I got a new toy so decided to film it for you. However it was my first time using the camera and I don't think I mounted it properly so its a bit shaky (well a lot shaky), hopefully you'll get an idea of the different surfaces you cover between Sellafield and Seascale. The worst bit is about 30 seconds in, when I go back round and under the bridge, the sand was a couple of inches deep covering the track but It was for only ten yards or so.

toekneep

Thanks for posting that DefBref. That looks perfectly manageable to me and after all we are suppposed to be cycling around the coast!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Be careful. I got a little blasé a couple weeks back on my tourer along there and went down it at the same speed as I do on my MTB. I hit a sand hole near the Sellafield end and put myself over the bars :blush:

It's fine at sensible speeds though.

toekneep

Be careful. I got a little blasé a couple weeks back on my tourer along there and went down it at the same speed as I do on my MTB. I hit a sand hole near the Sellafield end and put myself over the bars :blush:

It's fine at sensible speeds though.
We won't be rushing but thanks for the warning.

OP
OP
dr snuggles
I would get to Greenodd then turn left and go up the east side if Coniston lake then on to Ambleside and via Grasmere and Dunmail Raise to Keswick, shorter and easier.
Can you give me the specific roads? Is it basically straight up the A591 after Ambleside? I don't know the lakes at all so wouldn't have a clue which roads are rideable.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've never cycled the A595 but have driven it a fair few times and found it hateful - lots of folk trying to do 60+ on a road which mostly isn't suitable for the speed and in some places is so narrow and twisty that it would be considered a country lane in other parts of Britain.:ohmy:

To be fair, the sections mentioned in the OP are some of the better bits (in my experience) but I'd be inclined to favour the route suggested by @Hover Fly which is a bit more cycle friendly.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dr snuggles
Well I decided the night before that I would tackle the hills first thing and take the coastal route. Some of the steepest bits I've ever ridden especially after Ulpha Post office (very bleak at the top and also the only time I got wet the whole trip). I was travelling that slow the GPS kept pausing:ohmy: the knees had already taken a battering after the first two days on the Walney to Wear and never recovered for the remaining 3 days. There's also a VERY steep bit that I came down in order to join the A595 for the first time around 4.8 miles in. The A595 was fine for the small stretches I used and I'm pleased I took this route in the end cos the sun shone down in the afternoon as I rode up the coast. Shame I had to spoil it by staying in Silloth! Thanks again to everybody for all the help.
//ridewithgps.com/trips/2484091
There's a link for anybody that's interested

Top Bottom