Cycling on TV tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
graham56 said:
Dom, don`t think there was any mention of cyclists killing children although it did mention one child being hit on a ped crossing by a RLJ. I say the few bad cyclists give the rest of us a bad name. Sorry but i can`t condone them, likewise with the drivers turning left and hitting/ killing cyclists.

I'm just saying that it has shown a negative image of cycling and cyclists, led by that fucking nazi whore Erin Baker. If you feel different then that's okay.

Brock

It showed the very worse of various sets of road users, I thought it was reasonably gentle with cyclists tbh.

Smeggers

Failry well balanced i thought, if anything a little unsympathetic to the motorist. EG A lot of 'school runs' are justifiable.

graham56

Guru
domtyler said:
I'm just saying that it has shown a negative image of cycling and cyclists, led by that fucking nazi whore Erin Baker. If you feel different then that's okay.

I totally agree on your point there, can`t say more than that.

Peyote

Smeggers said:
A lot of 'school runs' are justifiable.

Possibly outside of urban areas, but in Hampstead? With TfL budgets providing such good public transport, and the fact that urban areas don't generally have a shortage of schools (i.e. generally v. short journeys: the Mr Angry 4x4 driving 2 miles?!) I'm struggling to believe that a lot of the 'school runs' in London are justifiable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just showed that many folk are just 'knobs' - the bloke in the Jeep, the guy in the VW van who drove 500 yards with the kids, the RLJ cyclists, the courier that got pulled and 'lost it'......

Some of those folk riding bikes with no clothes on should be locked up - horror on wheels...... :biggrin:

toontra

Veteran
The programme was full of offensive people, none more so than the cycle courier who was so abusive when stopped for RLJing that he was arrested for anti-social behavior. Is anyone seriously going to defend jerks like that? These are the p***ks that make my daily (cycle) commute regularly unpleasant by squashing past me at speed at lights, cutting me up whilst crossing junctions and generally making the whole commute a more unpleasant and aggressive experience.

I think that was the point of the programme, and in that respect it was successful.

toontra said:
The programme was full of offensive people, none more so than the cycle courier who was so abusive when stopped for RLJing that he was arrested for anti-social behavior. Is anyone seriously going to defend jerks like that? These are the p***ks that make my daily (cycle) commute regularly unpleasant by squashing past me at speed at lights, cutting me up whilst crossing junctions and generally making the whole commute a more unpleasant and aggressive experience.

I think that was the point of the programme, and in that respect it was successful.

I agree - well said. It is my experience too... it's a journey, not a race.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i must admit i was bemused by the invective on this site thrown at red light jumpers. until i saw the program tonight and realized that, in busy city streets (not like where i live), rlj-ers are such a menace.

domd1979

Veteran
Not even outside urban areas, since there's a statutory requirement to provide free home to school transport for pupils more than 3 miles from school.

Peyote said:
Possibly outside of urban areas, but in Hampstead? With TfL budgets providing such good public transport, and the fact that urban areas don't generally have a shortage of schools (i.e. generally v. short journeys: the Mr Angry 4x4 driving 2 miles?!) I'm struggling to believe that a lot of the 'school runs' in London are justifiable.

catwoman

I thought it was reasonably well balanced. The woman talking to the parking warden was quite funny saying she had to pick her kid up from school and then there was ballet and how could she do that without the car etc etc.....
The two men featured driving the big 4X4's just left me glad I'm not married to them! Mind you, I doubt I'd be their type anyway....:wacko:

bonj2

That was quite a good program, it sums up everything i hate about motoring and some motorists...

vbc said:
And not the good stuff. Programme about conflict between road users, might be worth a watch or may be just predictable.

BBC1, 9.00pm, Monday the 7th.
Tynan said:
superficial, shoddy and over dramatic is my prediction
well course it's going to be sensationalist-what do you expect, it's TV :ohmy::wacko:
its mainly for entertainment. But I thought it was ok, reasonably balanced and didn't anger me as much as i expected.

domtyler said:
Complete load of anti Cycling shite unfortunately. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
I think it was, but i think you're being a bit victimist - it was anti everybody (bar peds.) You can't deny that all sections of motorists got a slating aswell.
There were quite a few positive images of cycling, e.g. the clip from the TfL advert that cycling is the best mode of transport, and i'd say all the critical mass/naked bike ride stuff all the way through it was pretty much pro-cycling.
The motorists will obviously use it as ammo that cyclists like to cause obstructions, but personally, I think regarding the ones just sitting behind the CM procession beeping horns it just reflects badly on them.
Although I didn't agree with the implication that cyclists have only recently started to 'wage war on motorists for their right to the road'.

Brock said:
The halfwit on the school run was funny.
'They're seven years old! you can't expect them to walk 2 MILES UP HILL!! Utter madness!'
yes,he was funny. :biggrin: I'm not sure you get many people quite as arrogant as him (although a lot are similar), in fact i am almost tempted to believe he was an actor, he was so perfectly stereotypical of the worst type of moton. I also thought the range rover that got 'imprisoned' by cyclists at the end was funny, it would have been so much better though if it'd've been school-run-anger-management guy. :biggrin:

HLaB said:
He cracked me up too but the one I found really daft was the Van that ferried the kids to school 4-500 yards away, he needs the van to carry the dogs !!
:laugh: when he said "I'm parked illegally, but there's nothing I can do!
er,....ok!

graham56 said:
Dom, don`t think there was any mention of cyclists killing children although it did mention one child being hit on a ped crossing by a RLJ. I say the few bad cyclists give the rest of us a bad name. Sorry but i can`t condone them, likewise with the drivers turning left and hitting/ killing cyclists.

I noticed that at one time they did make the point that RLJing cyclists are a 'significant minority'.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One thing I did notice......there are lots of folk riding bikes in London :ohmy::tongue:

Blooming 'ek - don't see that many in a month in South Manchester - you need to be 'ard - gun crime you know - hoodies with guns...honest :wacko:

bonj2

Those bikes with blues and twos - i wonder if there's ever been an instance where the copon a mtb has switched them on for a roadie, and the roadie has seen him on his mtb and "fancied his chances" so to speak, and got awaywithit?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The RLJing thing is so biased as it's a picture of London that people will extrapolate to where ever they live. When I lived in York there were two quite bad RLJ incidents on a major junction where I lived a stones throw from with cars jumping and smashing cyclists. I myself got nearly polished off by a RLJer on the next junction down and regard it as the second most dangerous incident on a bike I've encountered. The two junctions in question were regular RLJ spots for cars. I only ever saw a handful of cyclists RLJ. I've never ever, ever seen a cylist RLJ in Sheffield. I didn't think there was any balance at all really when it didn't show much horrificly stupid driving that are the staple diet of such sister programmes on sky1/3, itv, bravo etc.

The lady wanting to get off to tennis and ballet was funny though.

Top Bottom