Cycling Paramedics

Twenty Inch

There was one on last Friday's CM. They're very effective in London.

Carwash

Señor Member
There were some active in York I think (c.3 years ago), but I've not seen them since I came back - are they still about? Arch? Mickle?

domtyler

Über Member
One had left his bike unlocked while popping into a shop on Bishopsgate the other day, I had a fleeting thought of nicking it but then the moment was gone!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
There were some active in York I think (c.3 years ago), but I've not seen them since I came back - are they still about? Arch? Mickle?

Yes they are. It was a cycle paramedic first on the scene when I last had to call for an ambulance. He was with me within 2 minutes, the van turning up after about 5. Sadly, too late already, but somehow the bike connection was a tiny, tiny comfort and distraction.

rob_mcp

I'll ask the one in Aylesbury next time I see him!

Arch

Married to Night Train
They are often to be seen patrolling the centre of York. I saw one once, looking embarrassed, because the rain had got into his two-tone and shorted it, and it was making all sorts of odd whines and funny noises...

Bokonon

Über Member
There is, or was (I haven't seen any recently,) a couple in Leeds. Apparently very fast at getting to incidents in heavy traffic, though that isn't really surprising.

The bikes were equipped with a fairly loud ambulance-sounding siren and a totally ineffective flashing blue LED lamp. I once observed a paramedic trying to ride through a junction against a red light whilst on 'blues and twos.' It appeared that drivers could hear the siren and were being a little cautious, but as they could not see an emergency vehicle were proceeding anyway (as would be their right, as they had the green light) and treating the hi-viz cyclist as any other RLJer.

Top Bottom