1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling Paramedics

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by starseven, 31 Oct 2007.

1. starseven

starseven Guest

Whilst surfing you tube I also spotted these Cycling Paramedics, was it a bit of publicity or are they still in business??

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

They had one in Birmingham but I think he's gone, or going soon. It's a nice idea, but not practical. Motorbikes work better.

3. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

There was one on last Friday's CM. They're very effective in London.

4. walker

walker New Member

see them all the time in London. Good for close by call outs, anything over 8 miles and there not that great

5. Carwash

Carwash Señor Member

There were some active in York I think (c.3 years ago), but I've not seen them since I came back - are they still about? Arch? Mickle?

6. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Saw at least a couple in Manchester in the summer, not sure if they're still deployed or not.

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

One had left his bike unlocked while popping into a shop on Bishopsgate the other day, I had a fleeting thought of nicking it but then the moment was gone!

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Yes they are. It was a cycle paramedic first on the scene when I last had to call for an ambulance. He was with me within 2 minutes, the van turning up after about 5. Sadly, too late already, but somehow the bike connection was a tiny, tiny comfort and distraction.

9. johnr

johnr Über Member

I think the St John's Ambulance have their own cycle crew who worked their magic during the London bit of the TdF.

10. rob_mcp

rob_mcp New Member

I'll ask the one in Aylesbury next time I see him!

11. Alcdrew

Alcdrew Senior Member

I saw one doing a show type thing in Milton Keynes the other day. Never seen one working.

12. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Surely that's a good thing! :blush:

13. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

They are often to be seen patrolling the centre of York. I saw one once, looking embarrassed, because the rain had got into his two-tone and shorted it, and it was making all sorts of odd whines and funny noises...

14. Bokonon

Bokonon Über Member

There is, or was (I haven't seen any recently,) a couple in Leeds. Apparently very fast at getting to incidents in heavy traffic, though that isn't really surprising.

The bikes were equipped with a fairly loud ambulance-sounding siren and a totally ineffective flashing blue LED lamp. I once observed a paramedic trying to ride through a junction against a red light whilst on 'blues and twos.' It appeared that drivers could hear the siren and were being a little cautious, but as they could not see an emergency vehicle were proceeding anyway (as would be their right, as they had the green light) and treating the hi-viz cyclist as any other RLJer.

15. atbman

atbman Über Member

Leeds still operating