Cycling Paramedics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was one on last Friday's CM. They're very effective in London.

Carwash

Señor Member
There were some active in York I think (c.3 years ago), but I've not seen them since I came back - are they still about? Arch? Mickle?

domtyler

Über Member
One had left his bike unlocked while popping into a shop on Bishopsgate the other day, I had a fleeting thought of nicking it but then the moment was gone!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
There were some active in York I think (c.3 years ago), but I've not seen them since I came back - are they still about? Arch? Mickle?

Yes they are. It was a cycle paramedic first on the scene when I last had to call for an ambulance. He was with me within 2 minutes, the van turning up after about 5. Sadly, too late already, but somehow the bike connection was a tiny, tiny comfort and distraction.

rob_mcp

I'll ask the one in Aylesbury next time I see him!

Arch

Married to Night Train
They are often to be seen patrolling the centre of York. I saw one once, looking embarrassed, because the rain had got into his two-tone and shorted it, and it was making all sorts of odd whines and funny noises...

Bokonon

Über Member
There is, or was (I haven't seen any recently,) a couple in Leeds. Apparently very fast at getting to incidents in heavy traffic, though that isn't really surprising.

The bikes were equipped with a fairly loud ambulance-sounding siren and a totally ineffective flashing blue LED lamp. I once observed a paramedic trying to ride through a junction against a red light whilst on 'blues and twos.' It appeared that drivers could hear the siren and were being a little cautious, but as they could not see an emergency vehicle were proceeding anyway (as would be their right, as they had the green light) and treating the hi-viz cyclist as any other RLJer.

Top Bottom