Cycling performance and Age.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
What the biggest factor in the decline in your cycling speed as you age ?

For myself its the fact that I can't stay injury free enough to do regular training. Although this year Ive discovered the joy of dead lifts - so I am regularly riding right now - where as previous years its March/April before I start going out.

Is it lost muscle mass, ? decreased cardio performance, increased Fat/Weight ? - or other factors

Any experience/Views welcome ?

Has we age, muscle mass, VO2 max all decline. We can massively slow the decline, by lifting weights and doing high intensity intervals.

In the past I did a fair bit of endurance riding for preparation to go to Tenerife in the winter. Since last October I've been doing Zwift races several times a week. I've now added in weight training again& really enjoying the DOMs feeling

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I don't really do any training as such. I just go out a couple of times a week for between 30 and 80 miles (it varies), and ride events. But I can still do 600k in a weekend, so I have another Super Randonneur badge to add to my collection (Route below for information – Bryan Chapman Memorial). At 69 I have a few medical issues, but basically I'm lucky enough to still remain reasonably fit & able. If my knees creak, they do so less on the bike than otherwise.
BC600.JPG

Top Bottom