Cycling Routes around Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Josh James

Regular
Hi, I'm new to the site and looking for some tips on routes.

Just bought my first road bike, which I'll be using for general riding and exercise. I'm currently based in the Liverpool area and I'm looking for some suggestions on nice rides in the area that'll take around 45mins to an hour.

Ideally, I'd like to stay off the main roads as much as possible, and maybe find some open, green areas, but I'm open to hearing what people suggest.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

sittingbull

Veteran
Hi Josh & :welcome:

Keep an eye on the Informal Rides section, you've just missed out on this but it will hopefully develop into some further rides.

Depending on where you are the best way of avoiding traffic is to use the numerous parks we have. If you're in the south of the city Otterspool Prom is popular linking Aigburth and the Pier head.

Alternatively there's the Trans Pennine Trail going in one direction to Southport or in the other direction towards Warrington, extending as far as Hull I believe. Apart from a few short sections I think the majority of this is traffic free, however some sections are more suited to an MTB rather than a road bike.

A few of us regularly venture across the Runcorn Bridge to Delamere and the surrounding area but that involves main roads and takes longer.

Hope this helps :smile:

OP
OP
Josh James

Josh James

Regular
Hi Josh & :welcome:

Keep an eye on the Informal Rides section, you've just missed out on this but it will hopefully develop into some further rides.

Depending on where you are the best way of avoiding traffic is to use the numerous parks we have. If you're in the south of the city Otterspool Prom is popular linking Aigburth and the Pier head.

Alternatively there's the Trans Pennine Trail going in one direction to Southport or in the other direction towards Warrington, extending as far as Hull I believe. Apart from a few short sections I think the majority of this is traffic free, however some sections are more suited to an MTB rather than a road bike.

A few of us regularly venture across the Runcorn Bridge to Delamere and the surrounding area but that involves main roads and takes longer.

Hope this helps :smile:

Brilliant, thanks.

I know about the prom, and I'll definitely be trying that, probably more than once.

I live in the city centre at the moment; I'd like to bike to Formby beach. Do you know the best route, or is it quite straight forward?

sittingbull

Veteran
That's not a route I've ridden yet. I think it's inevitable you'll have to contend with main roads though and I'd try to avoid the Dock Road with the trucks and lorries and poor road surface.

Cyclist33

Hi, I'm new to the site and looking for some tips on routes.

Just bought my first road bike, which I'll be using for general riding and exercise. I'm currently based in the Liverpool area and I'm looking for some suggestions on nice rides in the area that'll take around 45mins to an hour.

Ideally, I'd like to stay off the main roads as much as possible, and maybe find some open, green areas, but I'm open to hearing what people suggest.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure.

Thanks.

You just missed a nice gentle beginners ride round Whiston and Hale last weekend!

How about the run down to John lennon airport? About 7 miles from the city centre. Go in daylight! Watch a few planes roar overhead, then back to town. Nice little ride and broken up into two halves...

I'm in Liverpool fairly often, let me know if you want to know the route.

Another good one is the waterfront ride from Albert Dock to Garston and back, lovely on a sunny evening.

Stu

PaulBrdmn

When I first moved to Liverpool (about 2 years ago) I once tried following the NCN route (57?) to Southport/Formby and I remember winding my way through Everton before getting to the Leeds-Liverpool canal which took me up to Rimrose Valley Park near Waterloo, at this point I gave up! It was a quiet enough route but far too rugged for the road bike, I'd also be interested to see what others suggest. Oh and avoid the Bootle Dock Road, I went down that on the way back and it was very, very busy.

I quite enjoy heading out into the lanes towards Hale/Cronton/Widnes. Best way for that I find is (from Liverpool Women's Hospital) to go Smithdown Lane-Earle Rd/Lawrence Rd-Wavertree Sports Park-Woolton Rd-Gatacre Brow-Naylors Rd-Netherley Rd (which also happens to be my commute). There's a lot of big wide roads there with good cycle lanes for the most part.

From there you can get to Water Lane and head towards Foxes Bank lane via Prescot Rd where there is a bit of a climb if you take the road opposite the cemetery followed by a quick descent into Cronton via Hall lane. You can then head back along towards Prescot Road by turning right at the lights in Cronton. It's usually quiet around there in the evenings and weekends.

You could also head out along Woolton Rd but turn right at Comptons lane (or a bit further on at Woolton Hill Rd and onto Beaconsfield Rd if you fancy a climb!) to get to Calderstones Park and follow NCN56 through Mossley Hill via Penny Lane, Greenbank Park, Sefton Park, Princes Park and towards the Anglican Cathedral. This is a route that my girlfriend and I do quite often and she enjoys it and also hates busy roads!

This is quite a ramble but I hope I have helped a little bit. You can get free Travelwise Cycle maps from most of the bike shops (or at least from Picton Cycles and Evans in town) or from www.letstravelwise.org/content68_cycle-maps.html (if I get the link to work...)

Cheers, Paul.

aces_up1504

The obvious problem is getting out of the city centre to some quieter roads

My choice would be the trans Pennine, heading from then pier head towards the festival gardens is probably 10 miles there and back and no traffic

Also jump the ferry across to Seacombe and ride along the front to new Brighton. Again traffic free.

Get the train to outside of city, cycle outwards towards maghull or Southport and get the train home if you have got a bit of time.

I will probably be arranging something in late may early June for around 20 miles in the Liverpool area if your interested

on the road

Über Member
There's some nice roads on the Wirral. I know you said Liverpool but you could try round by West Kirby or by Neston even, if it's not too far for you.

matthat

Über Member
Hi there, I'm from liverpool as well and have several routes tucked away in my head but generally just make them up when i'm out!! A ride in town is to link princes park and sefton park together then down to prom from eggy vale and back to town!! A route to formby is to ride along to crosby marina (yes its a bit busy but can't be helped) then follow the sea wall round to little crosby then lanes to hightown and formby. Also you can follow footpaths alongside rail track towards southport!! Another suggestion is train out to ormskirk then there is miles and miles of lanes between ormskirk and southport which i know fairly well due to living out that way for ten yrs!!
I missed cyclist33's ride the other day due to work but i hope to try and take part in the next ride or organise one myself in the not to distant future!! I'm about to go and meet pjayys66 at pier head and ride with him up the leeds liverpool canal to aintree then i'll be doing loopline home and he's making his merry way to leeds on canal. welcome aboard.

OP
OP
Josh James

Josh James

Regular
Wow, thanks everyone! I'll definitely look into those routes. There's too many people to quote and thank everyone, so, thanks all!

I'll look out for the group rides too, and get involved.

Went on a nice ride yesterday; through Sefton, down to the prom, through Festival Gardens and then back up Park road way.

Took a pic in the Gardens:

525697_10151481025827880_67792912_n.jpg

You could try the Wirral Cycling Group ride from Southport this Sunday, pace is never 'fast' but distance is usually 30 or more just on the 'ride' - and the chance of more with a return to town depending on riders taking part (and weather).
Road bike and to avoid main roads but in green areas makes it hard to advise in all honesty - and from city centre must be near impossible?
As others mention crossing to Wirral might be best bet.

Top Bottom