Cycling Safety Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone,

I am currently conducting some private research on cycling safety and how cyclists conduct themselves on the highway. This has no commercial basis and I have no commercial interests in cycling or cycling products. I trust that people using this webstie will treat this in good faith and respond to this research by completing a short Cycling Safety Survey from the attached link. It will only take a few minutes and your input is very much appreciated.

http://goo.gl/forms/97TyELFKC3K8mKDT2

Many thanks

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The survey isn't the best in the world.... I'm sure I was asked more than once if I had had an accident.... Well On my definition of accident I suspect most people have, I've come off my bike on multiple occasions usually my own fault reading the road surface incorrectly (ice, leaves, pothole).

It will be interesting to see if he posts the results of the survey back here. And what it will actually tell us (if anything).

OP
OP
R

russellsg

I am sorry that you feel that way. The purpose of the survey is to detect correlations between peoples attitudes to road rules and safety. If you have cycled in many countries of the world you will start to see such correlations. Anyway please support research and try not to look down on things which are attempting to make it a safer place for cyclists.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I had to stop halfway through. It asked if I used lights at night, and there is no option to respond that I don't ride at night.

OP
OP
R

russellsg

Thanks for your comments - the questions may appear to repeat but there are subtle differences. These are there for a reason which I can not go into until the completion of the survey. It assists with the integrity of the analysis.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I ended up saying I did cycle on the pavement as there are two places where I do for all of 3ft but it is pavement (one of them cuts out 2 right turns onto and off a busy A road, and 2 sets of traffic lights). But I don't actually cycle along a footpath next to a road anywhere, however it did say be honest.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I am sorry that you feel that way. The purpose of the survey is to detect correlations between peoples attitudes to road rules and safety. If you have cycled in many countries of the world you will start to see such correlations. Anyway please support research and try not to look down on things which are attempting to make it a safer place for cyclists.
How is it going to make it safer for cyclists?

I don't think that your questions will have established enough about me to know whether I'm a safe cyclist or not, or the types of roads that I cycle on. I'm not even sure what a safe cyclist is?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
How is it going to make it safer for cyclists?

I don't think that your questions will have established enough about me to know whether I'm a safe cyclist or not, or the types of roads that I cycle on. I'm not even sure what a safe cyclist is?
It puts a whole new slant on this and I'd be intrigued to know how our OP intends such a grand and self important aim when the statistics are unequivocally clear that the vast majority of safety problems cyclists face are predicated on the people in the mobile metal boxes not on their personal attitude to red lights, hi vis and riding primary or in the gutter to help drivers get past

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Seems that reply has been deleted. It puts a whole new slant on this and I'd be intrigued to know how our OP intends such a grand and self important aim when the statistics are unequivocally clear that the vast majority of safety problems cyclists face are predicated on the people in the mobile metal boxes not on their personal attitude to red lights, hi vis and riding primary or in the gutter to help drivers get past
But to be fair... The vast majority of my "accidents", don't usually involve another vehicle, just me, and some of them don't involve roads or traffic lights either.

As I've said I will be interested to see what conclusions can be drawn from those questions.

Just remembered I answered I don't go through red lights and yet I crossed the line 3 weeks ago when I skidded in the rain.... Again those road surface problems!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
But to be fair... The vast majority of my "accidents", don't usually involve another vehicle, just me, and some of them don't involve roads or traffic lights either.

As I've said I will be interested to see what conclusions can be drawn from those questions.
Agree, me too, but the thrust of the questions seems to be aimed at interaction with other road users, do we ride to keep out of the way to let vehicles pass etc.

I think a certain standpoint has been taken from which the questions have been constructed, I'm not sure that standpoint is rooted in quite the right place, the rather high handed bit of our questioners post that you emboldened doesn't fill me with a warm feeling for their grasp of the realities of cycling safety in and around others.

Thanks for your comments - the questions may appear to repeat but there are subtle differences. These are there for a reason which I can not go into until the completion of the survey. It assists with the integrity of the analysis.
Sounds like you want to check if we are lying.

Well, whatever the reason you have so many questions, I had a look at your survey, decided there were too many questions, and moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom