Cycling Safety Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

russellsg

Agree, me too, but the thrust of the questions seems to be aimed at interaction with other road users, do we ride to keep out of the way to let vehicles pass etc.

I think a certain standpoint has been taken from which the questions have been constructed, I'm not sure that standpoint is rooted in quite the right place, the rather high handed bit of our questioners post that you emboldened doesn't fill me with a warm feeling for their grasp of the realities of cycling safety in and around others.

Again these are all interesting points and this is great feedback. Please believe me there is no standpoint in this survey. I have been riding on the public roads in many countries for 40 years now. I am also a car driver and so I understand both perspectives. I see all kinds of crazy things go on with both cyclists and drivers and my curiosity is more to do with the thought processes going on and how we can interpret behavior and subsequent actions from this.

OP
OP
R

russellsg

Wot Glenn said. It's a terrible survey and you need to work on your manners.
I really do not understand this comment. You are entitled to an opinion on the survey but I fail to understand why I have to work on my manners. Making comments in forums is a little bit like people on the road - why is that once there is a bit of anonymity through the computer or behind the wheel of a car that people become more aggressive. Interesting concept but that is for another study.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I really do not understand this comment. You are entitled to an opinion on the survey but I fail to understand why I have to work on my manners. Making comments in forums is a little bit like people on the road - why is that once there is a bit of anonymity through the computer or behind the wheel of a car that people become more aggressive. Interesting concept but that is for another study.

Your response to Summerdays in post #3 was patronizing and passive-aggressive. Your survey design is so poor as to be insulting and you are asking people for something without explaining why you want it or what you are going to do with it.

I am readily identifiable to anyone with a few minutes to spare and a bit of Google-fu. I've no idea who you are, though, and I won't be participating in your 'study'.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Again these are all interesting points and this is great feedback. Please believe me there is no standpoint in this survey. I have been riding on the public roads in many countries for 40 years now. I am also a car driver and so I understand both perspectives. I see all kinds of crazy things go on with both cyclists and drivers and my curiosity is more to do with the thought processes going on and how we can interpret behavior and subsequent actions from this.

*taking you at face value and not a troll with an agenda*

Likewise,
but to be honest from how you've interacted, the construction of your survey and your casual underestimation of our experience/understanding of psychometric (ykwim) testing, I had you pegged as an enthusiastic 6th form or Further Ed student who thinks they have just had a life changing revelation.

You need to do your research on your target audience & the reams of near as dammit identical research already carried out before floating this, to either find the answers you want are already out there time and time over OR find a way of making yours stand out for the right reasons if you want a less jaded appraisal of it.

the answer is simple: Because we as a society can and do get away with it every single day & we've more chance of turning base metals into gold without massive political buy-in over several generations, to engineer physically and mentally a transport model that works for all and reduces conflict.

It is also the nature of society not strictly a transport choice: Some people are paragons of virtue, some are total a**eholes in every walk of life, most are just trying to get by with a dozen other bits of day to day living whizzing round their head.

in transport terms, the casual acceptance of speeding all round is easiest eg of what I mean.
  • A few paragons people drive everywhere at speed limit -20%.
  • A few a**eholes people cannot anywhere drive without a screaming engine note and their foot flat to the floor.
  • The rest of us by and large are just going with the flow from A to B with our mind more on they day we've had or whats for tea or singing along to the song on the radio.
  • Officialdom don't make speeding so onerous a penalty it has a true deterrent
  • Manufacturers and civil engineers don't combine to impose roadside instructions to in-car systems to override an unduly light or heavy foot on the accelerator.
  • People nowadays invariably accept speeding penalties as an occupational hazard rather than a true wake-up call to modify their habits.
Tweak speeding and put in red light jumping (cars or bikes) or whatever other optional/contentious transport issues you choose an it works just as well.

We don't need another; not very well made; survey to tell us this, particularly not as the emphasis seems to be 'tell us how bad or hypocritical a cyclist you are'

I'm not going to spoil your survey by giving different answers to obviously the same question but I'm not going to complete it either.

boydj

Legendary Member
I am sorry that you feel that way. The purpose of the survey is to detect correlations between peoples attitudes to road rules and safety. If you have cycled in many countries of the world you will start to see such correlations. Anyway please support research and try not to look down on things which are attempting to make it a safer place for cyclists.

If you want to make the roads safer for cyclists, then you should be working on the attitudes of the drivers of motorised vehicles.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you want to make the roads safer for cyclists, then you should be working on the attitudes of the drivers of motorised vehicles.
But they don't pay Rego. :whistle:...............................................................................:bicycle: :becool: :cycle:

classic33

Leg End Member
Your response to Summerdays in post #3 was patronizing and passive-aggressive. Your survey design is so poor as to be insulting and you are asking people for something without explaining why you want it or what you are going to do with it.

I am readily identifiable to anyone with a few minutes to spare and a bit of Google-fu. I've no idea who you are, though, and I won't be participating in your 'study'.
He's identifable in just the same way. He's read an e-mail, and replied. Confirming details found before the reply.

Can I suggest that all who actually went to the survey, check their computers. Facebook link attached to it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why the interest in driving habits on a "cycling based survey"?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I don't really care who he is - my post was a reaction to his silly claim that I was 'hiding'. I just don't buy the idea that his crap survey is part of a legitimate study of anything, so I'm curious as to what it is for. I suspect it is what TMN suggests, in which case I recommend not filling it in.

OP
OP
R

russellsg

Wow! - I am not sure what all the aggression is about. I simply asked people to do a survey. If you don't want to or don't have time then that is fine. But some of the answers here would have taken considerably longer to type that just doing the survey. I have to say I am quite surprised at the comments on this forum as I have not had similar responses in other places. Anyway thanks to those that have participated.

OP
OP
R

russellsg

I am sorry you took it that way - there was no intention to be patronising

Wow! - I am not sure what all the aggression is about. I simply asked people to do a survey. If you don't want to or don't have time then that is fine. But some of the answers here would have taken considerably longer to type that just doing the survey. I have to say I am quite surprised at the comments on this forum as I have not had similar responses in other places. Anyway thanks to those that have participated.
Maybe if you just explained why you're doing this and exactly what you intend to do with the results...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom