Cycling Safety Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lonestar

Veteran
How can I rate myself...If I rate myself good then I'd be smug.I'd need other people to rate me.Same with other cyclists I guess.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just realised I don't break any laws these days, the only one I used to break (regularly) was speeding and I can't get the trike going fast enough for that.
I need a Tadpole.

Lonestar

Veteran
Those cycling traffic lights on the CS's are good as they change before the motorists ones and gives you less change of getting left hooked by a motorist whose a bit thick or couldn't give a toss.Well hopefully,I'm sure they'd manage it somehow.

(edited missed a bit out)

Last edited:

swansonj

Guru
Can't be done for speeding on a pedal cycle.
Yeah, exactly. I got to this question:

Do you break certain road rules when riding a bike that you would not do if driving a car? *
Yes
Sometimes
Only certain ones
Never
I don't think we have to obey the same rules that cars obey

The literally correct answer has to be the last one, because it is fact that we don't have to obey all the same rules cars do. But one supposes selecting the last answer would be interpreted as condoning RLJing.

Hilaryt

Done

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd to stop at " Do you break certain road rules when riding a bike that you would not do if driving a car?", never driven on the roads, I wouldn't know. Maybe if I did drive on the roads, they'd be safer. There'd be less traffic around me.

I'd like to know what the link with the facebook page is for myself

classic33

Leg End Member
True I guess but I'm sure there is a charge for that.
As such, cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence but they can, however, be prosecuted for “cycling furiously” or “wanton and furious cycling.”
&
A cyclist cannot actually be stopped for “wanton and furious cycling” as the offence only applies if an injury is suffered. A bike is considered a carriage under highways law, and The Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948) states:

“Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanour, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”

http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media...imit-or-does-the-law-only-apply-to-motorists/

Lonestar

Veteran
As such, cyclists who breach the speed limit may not be prosecuted for a speeding offence but they can, however, be prosecuted for “cycling furiously” or “wanton and furious cycling.”
&
A cyclist cannot actually be stopped for “wanton and furious cycling” as the offence only applies if an injury is suffered. A bike is considered a carriage under highways law, and The Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948) states:

“Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanour, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.”

http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/media...imit-or-does-the-law-only-apply-to-motorists/

It is also open to the police to prosecute cyclists for ‘careless and inconsiderate riding’. For example, in the Box Hill area of Surrey so popular with cyclists, the police have posted leaflets warning cyclists against antisocial cycling.

What a stupid survey. After the questions kept repeating themselves I answered differently to give contradictory responses. Waste my time I'll waste yours.

Lonestar

Veteran
What is that? I've just googled it, and after reading a few council sites, it seems to be riding on the pavement and going through pedestrian crossing. Are either a problem on Box Hill? If not, then what?

Don't know but I thought "speeding" would be classed as some sort of same charge as motorists get I.E cycling without due care?

Must be sort of a different enforced law there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom