Cycling shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Just ride your bike in whatever is comfortable. I've done 70 miles in a pair of jeans more than once.

The more you ride the more accustomed you will be to the saddle and it will be more comfortable naturally.

That being said cycling specific gear can make a difference on very long rides in warmer weather or if you experience any chafing on rides as you start to increase distance. I'd suggest starting with some of the cheaper in house brands such as dhb from Wiggle or the Btwin stuff from decathlon. Be wary of making a judgment about comfort in store though as that will change significantly after an hour or two on the bike.

Thxcuz

I usually wear a chamois under cargo shorts or padded cycling knickers (knee pants, not ladies undergarments) but I'm not a race bike guy. I just get what's cheap. A little padding is all I need on a brooks saddle.

pawl

Legendary Member
I find that so many shorts for me the padding to dense and for me not wide enough.I found a brand on Amazon that I had never heard of Przewalski bib shorts £28,99 The pad.is.not as dense and is wider than my favourite Lusso brand of short.

I just could not get on with bib shorts even Lusso..I originally ordered one pair and rode 40 miles with no discomfort.Ordered another pair.I normally wear medium.I bought large and fit is fine.

I have tried various brands and prices .For me these are the most comfortable with one exception and those were the old chammy inserts softened with chammy cream.

Reactions: mjr

BigMeatball

I recently bought a pair of cycling shorts (not bibs) from amazon, brand is Souke Sports and they costed around £25. They have more than 500 good reviews on Amazon, have a good design and broad range of colours and don't cost much so I gave them a go. I used them yesterday for the first time.

The padding is the thickest I've ever seen. So thick that walking felt extremely weird...like what I think wearing a nappy would feel like. Maybe the padding will get thinner with use, hopefully.

Having said that riding in them felt very good. Only minor flaw is I had to pull them up a couple of times, which didn't bother me yesterday as I was training indoors but would bother me way more if I was riding outdoors.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got Le Col bibs which are a really good fit although a bit thick on padding, and I've also got Specialized bibs and waist shorts. I'm not a fan of Specialized bikes, but their shorts and their body geometry gloves are excellent, perfect for me. I'd like to try Pearl Izumi bibs next (when I can get some on offer) as their tops are superb, so I imagine the shorts are as well made and well fitting.

Decathlon Are decent for the price, most of my winter gear including tights come from them. I

It's such a personal area though, very hard to know what will float your bot. (Sic)

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got Le Col bibs which are a really good fit although a bit thick on padding, and I've also got Specialized bibs and waist shorts. I'm not a fan of Specialized bikes, but their shorts and their body geometry gloves are excellent, perfect for me. I'd like to try Pearl Izumi bibs next (when I can get some on offer) as their tops are superb, so I imagine the shorts are as well made and well fitting.

Decathlon Are decent for the price, most of my winter gear including tights come from them. I

It's such a personal area though, very hard to know what will float your bot. (Sic)
Depending on your size needs, large upwards in navy, all sizes in black. you need to sign up to see full details

Attachments

• 643AF213-9199-4DF4-B668-562C96D65870.png
    643AF213-9199-4DF4-B668-562C96D65870.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 4

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Depending on your size needs, large upwards in navy, all sizes in black. you need to sign up to see full details

Thanks Vickster, I'm signed up to Sportpursuit but don't often check the emails. In fact I was only on there 2 days ago and there were no Pearl bibs. Ta.

icowden

Veteran
If you are the more modest type and like a baggy top layer, I recommend Endura Humvee's. They are a two part solution - padded lycra undershort that clip to a baggy over short with great pockets. You can by additional undershorts to clip in too

12boy

Guru
My shorts come from Rivendell and are nylon MUSA shorts with a gusset and a stretchy belt thing. I usually wear knit cotton boxer type under shorts that don't have a seam where it counts. If I plan on riding for more than a hour or two I have short liners that have a little padding. The summers here are hot and dry compared to the UK and ventilation is important in terms of saddle sores, at least for me. I wear these shorts for swimming, yard work, etc. They wear very well. I also have long pants made the same way and I've got some 15 years old, although I've replaced the stretchy belt with some belt loops and a military type web belt. With poly-merino long johns they are good to -7 C, and while they are not waterproof, both shorts and pants dry very quickly. Other than a helmet, bike shoes and these shorts/pants I don't wear bike clothing. In fact, on hot days I find Hawaiian shirts to be the best and they don't seem to get as smelly as the synthetic ones.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have a pair of Endura paded shorts i use on the spin bike. But on the road its Rapha bibs at the moment. But Castelli. Assos are as good.tried some cheap ones once.but they where in the charity shop a week later.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are none IMO but I think I may have a problem with spandex. I switched to seamless pants and good saddles (Brev.M Sellino - a clone of the Concor - on the road bike, a Dawes GT on the roadster) instead.

Top Bottom