Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
You forgot to mention "unicyclists" or "bmx er's" or "tandemists" to name three!

Then there's Tricyclists & Trick cyclists, to name another 2 or 3 plus 1

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Of course cycling is riven with snobbery…
Brilliant. (A few years ago I undertook a spot of psychological profiling, myself.) Your primer deserves wide dissemination.

2cyclists.gif

As a freewheeling singlespeeder, I know my place in the pecking order.

Wooden Top

Regular
Snobbery is annoying. I have a few bikes from cheap to a few grand and I don't care what I'm wearing. I will ride my Pinarello road bike to work in a baggy t-shirt and combat style shorts much to the amusement of my colleagues but I really couldn't give a damn.

And calf size is no indication of a part time weekend warrior rider! My legs are like twigs and I ride nearly every day!

Sludgy

Funny this, when I rode a mountain bike, 'road' cyclists generally blanked me as we passed. The moment I got a 'road' bike they all said hello. I tend to say hello to everyone, and make them respond

Mind you I bet I do more than some of those £3,000 bikes I see on strava (or did till people learned not advertise what bike they had in to much detail) and have better times as many of them

screenman

Legendary Member
Mind you I bet I do more than some of those £3,000 bikes I see on strava (or did till people learned not advertise what bike they had in to much detail) and have better times as many of them

I have a good friend who is 84 and has just spent £4,000+ on a new bike, I imagine that you may be a bit faster than him now. What on earth does it matter how much their bike cost, it just smacks of the green eyed monster when people write lines like that.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a good friend who is 84 and has just spent £4,000+ on a new bike, I imagine that you may be a bit faster than him now. What on earth does it matter how much their bike cost, it just smacks of the green eyed monster when people write lines like that.
I agree that I t's a 2 way street in my mind. Snobbyness doesn't work either way! Just don't judge and get on with it!

Faster or slower. Expensive or reasonable bike/kit. Who cares whatever the combination?

Do you I have been called materialistic and now jealous in the last month, I am neither I can assure you, I personally couldn't tell one bike from the next, my bike cost £300, but its worth a dam site more these days to replace I can assure you of that.
You may not of caught any of my recent posts about the WNBR, its a protest about several things, cycle safety, oil dependency and the use of earth's sustainability to support life, I maybe should have made it clearer that £3,000 bikes is some 3.5 to 4Kg's light than my bike and thats at best, I will put it another way take photography very similar to a lot of hobbies, at the ride I heard some talk about the latest kit Canon whatever, also someone there using a 70-200 f2.8 L series lens, I just went and did what I do best take pictures.
I received the complement from the ride organiser of probably having the best pictures of any of the WNBR groups on flickr, I am not saying they are the best, but what I used was an Canon 40D some 6 or 7 years and a sigma lens (can't carry much more as I had to ride both to and back to York)
I can't post here for obvious reasons but if you wish to look have look here https://www.flickr.com/photos/61323383@N07/ then compare with these it you want taken with a lens costing at discount £1,500 and the camera a Canon 7D costing £700 best price I found so the two together cost as much as many a bike.
I am then accused of being jealous, of kit costing more than mine, this is the link to the work he did, I am not putting him down at all because I don't know where on the learning curve he is. https://www.flickr.com/photos/133931455@N04/ however there is very little thought to composition the lens being an f2.8 has great capabilities to throw the background out of focus because the pictures are shot in Auto mode it has chosen a mid range setting which is neither here nor there, he also didn't have to worry about riding in the group so should have had better opportunities than me to compose his images better, I on the other hand had to ride from the back of the group to the front dismount and get pictures where I could.
So jealous no never I let my pictures and cycling do the talking I am just about to pass 20,000 miles in three years on what was a cheap Viking, and to be honest I really don't want to ride anything else these days as we have been together so long I am not sure I could cheat on the old lass.

I agree that I t's a 2 way street in my mind. Snobbyness doesn't work either way! Just don't judge and get on with it!

Faster or slower. Expensive or reasonable bike/kit. Who cares whatever the combination?
I think the point I was making is expensive kit doesn't make the photographer or cyclist, but the person behind the lens or on the bike.

Top Bottom