Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

This type of person is actually pretty general across the whole range of bikes out there though. It's not specific to the Cervelo guy.

You also get strong characters, who know it all, riding bikes at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. They also get listened to and the same results happen.

Discrimination against the Cervelo rider is no more acceptable than A.N.Other bike, just because it's cheaper or the rider has been riding for longer!

So we can agree that actual knowledge is far more important than what bike you ride, right?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So we can agree that actual knowledge is far more important than what bike you ride, right?
Why do you have to be knowledgeable? It's not like cycling is difficult. It's like riding a bike.

I think there is obviously an optimum gear:idea ratio out there somewhere.

Citius

Why do you have to be knowledgeable? It's not like cycling is difficult. It's like riding a bike.

I think there is obviously an optimum gear:idea ratio out there somewhere.

I just meant in terms of giving advice. Obviously riding a bike itself is pretty straightforward...

Jimidh

Veteran
I am fairly new to cycling 3-4 years and haven't really came across bike snobs in either the road or MTB community.

I am lucky to ride with some serious good cyclists including national amateur champions and I have found them incredibly supportive and encouraging of us less able mortals.

Suppose in any walk of life you will always meet a few bellends.

andyfraser

Über Member
I might've met my first cycling snob! He was coming from the opposite direction on his red and white Pinerello and turned into the road I was going to turn into just ahead of me. I know he saw me but when I waved he blanked me! Thinking about it, he could've just got back from a long ride in the warm afternoon sun and was only able to wave mentally. Actually, maybe he didn't see me after all. Maybe I'm just jealous of his beautiful bike. Oh well...

Citius

I am saying, if you don't know yourself, don't Google it and then mouth off like you know what you're talking about.
Good advice. Has anyone done that?

Some (but by no means all) photographers can be a bit sniffy about things. In some exalted circles a photo isn't worth taking unless you're using at least £2k of kit.
And don't get me started on the Canon :okay:vs Nikon debate...:rolleyes:
Thats a shame, however a good lens is worth the money over an expensive body, and £2k you say, dam I fooked on both scores my whole equipment for both is no more than that, excluding a few sundries like hard drives and clothes ect....

DirtGambit

Nothing wrong with the carrera, I started road cycling on a cheap mtb, moved to the Carrera and now I have a carbon mekk, some of my personal bests are still held by the Carrera and to be honest the carbon bike is only a few minutes faster over my routes. Just cycle what you have, leave the snobs to drill all their funds into looking cool and focus on your own journey.

Jimidh

Veteran
Nothing wrong with the carrera, I started road cycling on a cheap mtb, moved to the Carrera and now I have a carbon mekk, some of my personal bests are still held by the Carrera and to be honest the carbon bike is only a few minutes faster over my routes. Just cycle what you have, leave the snobs to drill all their funds into looking cool and focus on your own journey.

My first Road Bike was a Carrera - now fitted with Mudguards and is my winter commute/ turbo bike.

My only complaint about it is that being from Halfords and me buying it online is that it doesn't quite fit me properly but that gives me the excuse to buy a new winter bike this year!! Keeping it for the Turbo though.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I went out on a 60 mile group ride yesterday morning with who I consider 4 top local riders, either winning TT's or competing in road racing, all on top kit, and me on my Argos Ventura. Not once was any of the bikes mentioned or any of the kit. The ride was all about the craic, conversation, and the enjoyment! 4.30 start was a bit early though!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Of course cycling is riven with snobbery. There are ...

Sportivistas and Strava kings, riding carbon frames with Di2. Snobbish about: Anyone with fewer KoMs than them. Anyone with a bike that weighs 0.5g more than theirs.

Audaxers. Don't get out of bed (which is normally in a bus shelter) for less than 200k. Snobbish about: Sportive riders, who need event signs to navigate instead of a clipboard of instructions, and who eat gels instead of beans on toast.

Club racers, riding in tight bunches - a blur of matching jerseys. Snobbish about: Sportive riders, "eee by gum, put a number on tha back lad, and enter t'real race, we'll see what tha's made of". (I don't know why I did that in Yorkshire).

Tree-trunk legged fixie riders. Snobbish about: Anyone with gears. Weedy-legged hipsters pretending to the fixie mantle. Wannabe singlespeed riders with freewheels.

Commuters and shoppers. Snobbish about: mere recreational cyclists.

Hipster fixie riders. Snobbish about: anyone with the wrong sort of goatee.

Retro bores. Riding old Puch, Peugot, and other 70s bikes. Snobbish about: anyone who uses indexed gears; anyone who doesn't have an extensive collection of different kinds of cotter pin at home.

Recumbent riders. Snobbish about: All those poor lambs riding upwrong bikes who have not yet seen the light.

MTB-ers. Snobbish about: anyone who can't bunny-hop out of an axle-deep lagoon of mud.

Bromptoneers. Snobbish about: other folders. Anyone riding a less comprehensively customised Brompton than them.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Of course cycling is riven with snobbery. There are ...

Sportivistas and Strava kings, riding carbon frames with Di2. Snobbish about: Anyone with fewer KoMs than them. Anyone with a bike that weighs 0.5g more than theirs.

Audaxers. Don't get out of bed (which is normally in a bus shelter) for less than 200k. Snobbish about: Sportive riders, who need event signs to navigate instead of a clipboard of instructions, and who eat gels instead of beans on toast.

Club racers, riding in tight bunches - a blur of matching jerseys. Snobbish about: Sportive riders, "eee by gum, put a number on tha back lad, and enter t'real race, we'll see what tha's made of". (I don't know why I did that in Yorkshire).

Tree-trunk legged fixie riders. Snobbish about: Anyone with gears. Weedy-legged hipsters pretending to the fixie mantle. Wannabe singlespeed riders with freewheels.

Commuters and shoppers. Snobbish about: mere recreational cyclists.

Hipster fixie riders. Snobbish about: anyone with the wrong sort of goatee.

Retro bores. Riding old Puch, Peugot, and other 70s bikes. Snobbish about: anyone who uses indexed gears; anyone who doesn't have an extensive collection of different kinds of cotter pin at home.

Recumbent riders. Snobbish about: All those poor lambs riding upwrong bikes who have not yet seen the light.

MTB-ers. Snobbish about: anyone who can't bunny-hop out of an axle-deep lagoon of mud.

Bromptoneers. Snobbish about: other folders. Anyone riding a less comprehensively customised Brompton than them.
You forgot to mention "unicyclists" or "bmx er's" or "tandemists" to name three! :whistle:

Top Bottom