Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I wonder if participants in other hobbies are as judgmental as cyclists.

I wonder, do anglers wander along the riverbank and when they see someone with the latest carbon rod and teflon waders (or whatever) and 11 speed reel, start sneering at them and way they are winding their reel or, how they have positioned their flask of tea or whatever ... "pah, all the gear and no idea, he's not a proper angler".

Some (but by no means all) photographers can be a bit sniffy about things. In some exalted circles a photo isn't worth taking unless you're using at least £2k of kit.
And don't get me started on the Canon vs Nikon debate...:rolleyes:

howard2107

Cyclists pale into insignificance at the side of Golfers! I play golf regularly and at some very nice courses, you should see the snobbery around those places, not to mention the very odd senses of dress. I personally couldn't give a monkeys about who has what and whether or not it is the latest model or must have, or what it costs.

If it is good for you, then that is all that matters, and sod anyone else's opinions and thoughts. I could go out and spend a fortune on either bikes or golf gear, but would it make me any better at either? i doubt it. I will replace things when they are no longer fit for purpose, and with what i want, not what others tell me i need.

I often apply the Phrase "All the gear and no idea", and it especially fitting when on a golf course.

Cheers...............Howard

NorvernRob

On my first decent ride (Of 30 miles) a couple of Sundays ago i saw perhaps 8 or 9 other 'speed-demon cyclists' on the road. And i say this - because they were dressed like, in the poise of, and acting like "cyclists", rather than perhaps commuters, young children etc etc

One single rider out of these said "Good Morning" in reply to my greeting.

3 or 4 didn't acknowledge, or even look-up in the direction of myself and my friend.,

3 or 4 heard me - didn't reply, or look me in the eye.....but instead just stared at my equipment (re: bike) as they passed by.

Pitiful.

90%+ of all cyclists I pass wave or give some kind of acknowledgement. The reaction is the same whether I'm wearing Rapha and on my best bike, or I'm on my alloy winter bike wearing a cheap hi viz with oil stains on, £10 leggings and cheap shoes.

It's nothing to do with what bike you're riding, at a closing speed approaching 30-40mph on most passes how can you even notice what model/group set other people have? Who even cares?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
90%+ of all cyclists I pass wave or give some kind of acknowledgement. The reaction is the same whether I'm wearing Rapha and on my best bike, or I'm on my alloy winter bike wearing a cheap hi viz with oil stains on, £10 leggings and cheap shoes.

It's nothing to do with what bike you're riding, at a closing speed approaching 30-40mph on most passes how can you even notice what model/group set other people have? Who even cares?

I dont care. I'm merely sitting on my chair at home after a day at work, and joined in by stating what me and my friend witnessed. It matters none to me or you i suspect - either way. I'm not upset. surprised, angry or anything else.

And as mentioned - i was sitting still when i saw most of these come past....so no "40mph closing speed"......

bpsmith

Veteran
Its the people with all the gear and no idea who think they are better than people who have not got the best bikes & clothing that I am talking about, that's not to say you shouldn't have the best you can afford, but just because you have the best don't look down & exclude people who have not.
Totally agree, but don't assume the people with the gear are looking down at those without. This is generally not the case.

Cyclists pale into insignificance at the side of Golfers! I play golf regularly and at some very nice courses, you should see the snobbery around those places, not to mention the very odd senses of dress. I personally couldn't give a monkeys about who has what and whether or not it is the latest model or must have, or what it costs.

If it is good for you, then that is all that matters, and sod anyone else's opinions and thoughts. I could go out and spend a fortune on either bikes or golf gear, but would it make me any better at either? i doubt it. I will replace things when they are no longer fit for purpose, and with what i want, not what others tell me i need.

I often apply the Phrase "All the gear and no idea", and it especially fitting when on a golf course.
Cheers...............Howard[/QU
I, too, play golf regularly and whilst I agree that there are many that lust after the latest driver, or whatever, I find very little evidence of snobbery or "looking down noses" at those that use older equipment.
I don't think that there is a great deal of difference from cyclists in that many seek to get better bikes or more hi-tech equipment knowing that it won't make much difference to their performance but they just fancy them! And why not?-spend your.money as you choose!!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ive played some of the best courses in Europe and have never come across golf Snobbery. Maybe I am more snobby than the others ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Ian? It's happening again!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Some (but by no means all) photographers can be a bit sniffy about things. In some exalted circles a photo isn't worth taking unless you're using at least £2k of kit.
And don't get me started on the Canon vs Nikon debate...:rolleyes:
Only Canon users get stuffy about this. Inferior gear and all that...

:whistle: :whistle:
One day they'll get a Pentax. :becool:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think one of the problems with "All the gear, no idea" in any field is where they believe the purchase of expensive kit makes them an expert. So you get people who have read a Cycling Plus and gone out and bought a £4k Cervelo and a load of Rapha gear. So far, no harm, no foul. But they then pull up to a novice in difficulty and rather than say "Sorry can't help you, I'm new to this myself" they say "oh yes what you need to do is this, this and this" when really they haven't got the faintest idea. Unfortunately novice sees expensive kit and lovely curvy carbon bike and thinks "Oh he's an expert I need to follow his advice". Now this might lead to something harmless like buying some useless tabs to stick in their water but at worst it could lead to dangerous modifications to their bike. They don't know that Cervelo guy gets his bike shop to change his punctures and follow his advice on how to tighten cranks up to the letter.

Top Bottom