Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wonder if participants in other hobbies are as judgmental as cyclists.

I wonder, do anglers wander along the riverbank and when they see someone with the latest carbon rod and teflon waders (or whatever) and 11 speed reel, start sneering at them and way they are winding their reel or, how they have positioned their flask of tea or whatever ... "pah, all the gear and no idea, he's not a proper angler".

Citius

The only cycling snobs I've ever come across are the ex-golfers who took it up after Wiggins won the tour. Ironically, they're the ones with all the top-end kit :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member

I wonder, do anglers wander along the riverbank and when they see someone with the latest carbon rod and teflon waders (or whatever) and 11 speed reel, start sneering at them and way they are winding their reel or, how they have positioned their flask of tea or whatever ... "pah, all the gear and no idea, he's not a proper angler".
Guess what else Shimano make. :whistle:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I hear they are coming out with an electronic reel system called Ri2, and they reckon the pros will all be using disc brakes on them inside two years.

Don't joke about it... A cork disc brake on a reel.

matthews_brake_3.jpg

Plus - here is the 'big version' http://www.deepdropcommercial.com/fishing-equipment/reels/electric-reels/

middleman

Regular

Very good lol. I must be a cycling snob because when i'm not wearing my club kit I sometimes have my Trek Team Gear (RadioShack as it was cheap, maybe get TFR next year) on when riding my Domane like Fattien Cancellouta and I have kitted it out with Bontrager accessories. I'm a bit OCD, that's my reasoning behind it.

Anyway my faith in fellow cyclists was partially restored on Saturday when I was cycling back from some hills through an industrial estate and another cyclist took my wheel for a short time before coming alongside and having a chat about where I was going to etc. He was doing laps of the estate, had a wee chat and then I he continued I headed home. No idea what sort of kit he was wearing or bike he was on but friendly cyclist, thats what its all about.

bpsmith

Veteran
I hate judgement Either way tbh. If you have the gear, don't judge others for not having it. Equally, if you don't have the gear, then don't judge riders who do.

What's more, you have to start cycling at some point. Why does the reason matter?

I only started about 22 months ago and it was due to me not exercising much and needing an outlet of my own. Had always fancied a road bike as a young adult and never went there. Decide out of the blue when the C2W Scheme started and now on my second bike already. I am absolutely hooked, that's what matters. If I happened to start because of Wiggo, and it becoming fashionable, then so be it as long as I found it!?! Who said it wasn't fashionable before btw?

I like to buy nice kit. I don't judge others who don't, whether they can afford or want to or not. Shock!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I hate judgement Either way tbh. If you have the gear, don't judge others for not having it. Equally, if you don't have the gear, then don't judge riders who do.

What's more, you have to start cycling at some point. Why does the reason matter?

I only started about 22 months ago and it was due to me not exercising much and needing an outlet of my own. Had always fancied a road bike as a young adult and never went there. Decide out of the blue when the C2W Scheme started and now on my second bike already. I am absolutely hooked, that's what matters. If I happened to start because of Wiggo, and it becoming fashionable, then so be it as long as I found it!?! Who said it wasn't fashionable before btw?

I like to buy nice kit. I don't judge others who don't, whether they can afford or want to or not. Shock!

Totally agree - I think it is far more important that people are cycling, rather than what they are riding/wearing and why they decided to ride. Cyclists have enough to worry about than what other cyclists think if them.

Venod

Eh up
I'd be interested to know what the criteria for an 'all the gear but no idea' are

Its the people with all the gear and no idea who think they are better than people who have not got the best bikes & clothing that I am talking about, that's not to say you shouldn't have the best you can afford, but just because you have the best don't look down & exclude people who have not.

NorvernRob

Its the people with all the gear and no idea who think they are better than people who have not got the best bikes & clothing that I am talking about, that's not to say you shouldn't have the best you can afford, but just because you have the best don't look down & exclude people who have not.

Which is weird, because I've never seen a forum post saying 'this guy on a crap old bike didnt wave back to me today' (plenty don't!) but I've seen hundreds slagging off people on expensive bikes or with expensive gear.

Seems the problem doesn't lie with the ones who have expensive kit, in fact I don't think the problem is actually that those people don't wave back. These threads always smell of jealousy to me, with tales of how poster X regularly smashes people on Pinarellos with his 20kg commuting bike.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
On my first decent ride (Of 30 miles) a couple of Sundays ago i saw perhaps 8 or 9 other 'speed-demon cyclists' on the road. And i say this - because they were dressed like, in the poise of, and acting like "cyclists", rather than perhaps commuters, young children etc etc

One single rider out of these said "Good Morning" in reply to my greeting.

3 or 4 didn't acknowledge, or even look-up in the direction of myself and my friend.,

3 or 4 heard me - didn't reply, or look me in the eye.....but instead just stared at my equipment (re: bike) as they passed by.

Pitiful.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On my first decent ride (Of 30 miles) a couple of Sundays ago i saw perhaps 8 or 9 other 'speed-demon cyclists' on the road. And i say this - because they were dressed like, in the poise of, and acting like "cyclists", rather than perhaps commuters, young children etc etc

One single rider out of these said "Good Morning" in reply to my greeting.

3 or 4 didn't acknowledge, or even look-up in the direction of myself and my friend.,

3 or 4 heard me - didn't reply, or look me in the eye.....but instead just stared at my equipment (re: bike) as they passed by.

Pitiful.

Perhaps you missed the raised finger or hand rather than the 'good morning'. Around here I think I get a positive reaction from at least 75% of cyclists when I am on my Sunday blasts.

doog

Perhaps you missed the raised finger or hand rather than the 'good morning'. Around here I think I get a positive reaction from at least 75% of cyclists when I am on my Sunday blasts.

Indeed, sometimes a move of the head / nod / raised hand whilst still on the bar is all I can bloody muster...subtle signs but usually reciprocated no matter what our physical state. :smile:

The absolute worst offenders....blokes with their missus and kids on the sunday ride, the blokes go into some kind of 'im just doing the family thing' and ignore you,yet the wife / partner usually follows up the little tribe with a lovely smile.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

Quite a few were seen as i sat on a bench with my friend for a while, and watched the World go by............

I commend you for your positive train of thought, but i'd be 99% sure i missed "nothing".

Which funnily enough is the same response i got from most of the colour-co-ordinated Power-Rangers sprinting past..............

Top Bottom