Cycling snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RitchieJoe

here was me planning on buying the best bike I could afford (around £1000 from planet X) and never did I think I may be potentially judged for it. I have never really understood jealousy/bitterness/snobbery or what people get from it. It's a shame we live in a society where people are judged for what they do or do not have and not actually on WHO they are.

Citius

here was me planning on buying the best bike I could afford (around £1000 from planet X) and never did I think I may be potentially judged for it. I have never really understood jealousy/bitterness/snobbery or what people get from it. It's a shame we live in a society where people are judged for what they do or do not have and not actually on WHO they are.

Nothing wrong with PX. They make some great value, good performing kit. My lad will probably be on a PX frame next season.

RitchieJoe

Nothing wrong with PX. They make some great value, good performing kit. My lad will probably be on a PX frame next season.

I didn't mean just by the people on more expensive bikes, but also the ones on cheaper bikes. What I was saying is some may perceive me to be a snob and the others a tight git. From reading this thread it appears you can't win

Citius

I didn't mean just by the people on more expensive bikes, but also the ones on cheaper bikes. What I was saying is some may perceive me to be a snob and the others a tight git. From reading this thread it appears you can't win

In my experience, there is always someone on a cheaper bike who is faster, and there is always someone on a more expensive bike who is slower. The reverse is also true. So no, you can't win - well, you can, but you know what I mean..

zizou

Veteran
The idea of there being alot of "cycling snobs" about is IMO a false perception from people with an inferiority complex for whatever reason. Maybe it is different elsewhere but i dont know anyone who has a 'exotic' bike who makes negative comments about people riding cheaper bikes, in fact there is usually more respect given for those on cheaper bikes who are good riders than if they were just as good but on some superbike. The things that get commented on (in terms of banter) are usually to do with dirty bikes, messy bartape, excessive rattles and noise rather than the expense of the equipment in question.

So stop being so self obsessed, enjoy riding your bike whatever you have and don't care what other people might be thinking - it's more than likely they are not thinking about you negatively (or positively) in any case!

I think one of the problems with "All the gear, no idea" in any field is where they believe the purchase of expensive kit makes them an expert. So you get people who have read a Cycling Plus and gone out and bought a £4k Cervelo and a load of Rapha gear. So far, no harm, no foul.
I agree, however, among some observers and commentators of the upsurge in cycling it is suggested that some more experienced cyclists resent the increase in popularity in a sport they previously had all to themselves, preferring to keep it within the confines of their little elite group, rather than accepting cycling as an inclusive a sport as it it most definitely should be. I don't know how commonplace it is but in some articles it is reported that some types of riders feel that it is OK to denigrate or belittle the less experienced or less able or indeed the less affluent in order to remain as a self appointed vanguard against this rise in popularity.
My personal take on this is that even if such reports are vaguely accurate it is something I have not experienced personally. Secondly I believe it is not something that is confined just to cycling, pretty much the same sort of thing will happen to whatever new 'craze' comes to the fore next.

Last edited:
The idea of there being alot of "cycling snobs" about is IMO a false perception from people with an inferiority complex for whatever reason. Maybe it is different elsewhere but i dont know anyone who has a 'exotic' bike who makes negative comments about people riding cheaper bikes, in fact there is usually more respect given for those on cheaper bikes who are good riders than if they were just as good but on some superbike. The things that get commented on (in terms of banter) are usually to do with dirty bikes, messy bartape, excessive rattles and noise rather than the expense of the equipment in question.

So stop being so self obsessed, enjoy riding your bike whatever you have and don't care what other people might be thinking - it's more than likely they are not thinking about you negatively (or positively) in any case!
Couldn't agree more with this. It is about self obsession and inferiority complexes as much as the other way round. I enjoy riding my bike. I don't give a toss what others think. I am the cyclist that I am and I am comfortable with that.
I do wonder whether reporting of this fashion is just another media stick to beat the cycling fraternity with rather than being an accurate picture. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...9/Why-does-cycling-attract-so-many-snobs.html

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's even a book about it: Bike Snob

Edit. I'd better add a winky thing. ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tee hee. My wife just got in from the shops and had got me a copy of Cycling Weekly. In the letters page, obviously part of a long correspondence, probably very long, is some bloke bemoaning the fact that he's been "blanked" by other cyclists "presumably because I don't ride a Pinarello", and gleeful that a bloke who didn't wave back subsequently suffered a mechanical of some sort.

You've got to laugh. :hello:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Tee hee. My wife just got in from the shops and had got me a copy of Cycling Weekly. In the letters page, obviously part of a long correspondence, probably very long, is some bloke bemoaning the fact that he's been "blanked" by other cyclists "presumably because I don't ride a Pinarello", and gleeful that a bloke who didn't wave back subsequently suffered a mechanical of some sort.

You've got to laugh. :hello:

I should send a reply with this
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsWZvRvKWM3ndOTsND4Z8Y2Bhp3vQKhj7MPibDIbOlZnkNTNBC.jpg

bpsmith

Veteran
I think one of the problems with "All the gear, no idea" in any field is where they believe the purchase of expensive kit makes them an expert. So you get people who have read a Cycling Plus and gone out and bought a £4k Cervelo and a load of Rapha gear. So far, no harm, no foul. But they then pull up to a novice in difficulty and rather than say "Sorry can't help you, I'm new to this myself" they say "oh yes what you need to do is this, this and this" when really they haven't got the faintest idea. Unfortunately novice sees expensive kit and lovely curvy carbon bike and thinks "Oh he's an expert I need to follow his advice". Now this might lead to something harmless like buying some useless tabs to stick in their water but at worst it could lead to dangerous modifications to their bike. They don't know that Cervelo guy gets his bike shop to change his punctures and follow his advice on how to tighten cranks up to the letter.
This type of person is actually pretty general across the whole range of bikes out there though. It's not specific to the Cervelo guy.

You also get strong characters, who know it all, riding bikes at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. They also get listened to and the same results happen.

Discrimination against the Cervelo rider is no more acceptable than A.N.Other bike, just because it's cheaper or the rider has been riding for longer!

Top Bottom