Cycling stuff you wish you hadn't bought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
dan_bo said:
Conti sport contact MTB tyres.

3 weeks- no joke- 7 punctures and down to the thread.

Fourty quids' worth of tyre. and I lost the puncture proof guarantee thing so i couldn't even get 'em replaced.
On the 3rd set:
3 years
18'000-20'000 miles
punctures 0.... well actually 1 where 4" nail which went through the tyre, inner tube & rim tape before denting the inside of the rim so I let that one slide.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
TopPeak fx front defender.
No, no no no and no ...one size does not fit all!!!

so if you are thinking of buying... think very carefully
I had to destroy the packaging to get it out.... have used the front bit at least .. tied on with zips :blush: .. rear bit useless.. the fitting useless .. it was less than £9 so I cannot be bothered to think about returning it....
.. I do have a crud catcher on underside of frame....

Coco

MajorMantra said:
My second pair of Lidl shoes with the cleat plate made of brie. (The 1st pair is still fine.)

Matthew

So it wasn't just me overtightneing them then? :blush:

I made replacement plates from aluminium & fibreglass. Really tough and work much better than the originals.

MajorMantra

Coco said:
So it wasn't just me overtightneing them then? :blush:

I made replacement plates from aluminium & fibreglass. Really tough and work much better than the originals.

Could you elaborate? I've been wondering about ways to fix them. I was considering trying to persuade someone in my uni's engineering lab to knock me up some plates.

Matthew

EDIT: Sorry, this is a bit of a thread hijack.

EDIT: Scratch that, I've successfully returned them. :ohmy:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dayvo said:
Reasonable, compared to prices here!

BUT got collared by import tax! 50% - KUNZ! :smile:

Well for Ground Effect I realise that the NZ is New Zealand but what does the KU stand for:wacko:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
All the bike lights I ever bought prior to buying Dinotte ones. I hate to think what the total added up to, would have been far, far cheaper just to buy Dinottes in the first place.

a_n_t

mr Mag00 said:
sealskin socks a few years ago, held water and my feet were freezing, painful for hours afterward

See, the thing with sealskin socks / gloves is that if water gets into them via the big holes where you stick your hands and feet then they will hold water as they are waterproof BOTH WAYS!

Stop water getting in and they work fine.

MajorMantra

Thought of another one: BBB winter gloves. IIRC they claimed to be waterproof (or at least water resistant) and breathable. In reality they are very sweaty and will let water in as well. They do work reasonably well with glove liners but I don't think they were worth the money.

Matthew

Ben Lovejoy said:
All the bike lights I ever bought prior to buying Dinotte ones. I hate to think what the total added up to, would have been far, far cheaper just to buy Dinottes in the first place.

Especially as you bought the Dinottes anyway...;). Know what you mean though. High price lights do look expensive until you've had a set of cheap ones then realise just why there is a big price difference.

For me Aldi waterproof overtrousers (actually Mrs. Pm got them for me) still in the drawer with price tag on as they just looked hot and sweaty.

Top Bottom