Cycling the morning after drinking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I always wonder what a drunken cyclist could be charged with.

As has been said, 'wanton and furious' doesn't really apply to wobbly riding.

Some Scottish law is different, so there may be a charge up there, but I think it's unlikely.

Section 30 of the road traffic act covers drunk in charge of a pedal Cycle. Very rarely used though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Section 30 of the road traffic act covers drunk in charge of a pedal Cycle. Very rarely used though.
According to the CTC article the charge would be "cycling under the influence of drink or drugs", max penalty a fine of 1k.

Makes some sense, although given there is no legal limit for cycling and a cyclist cannot be forced to take a test anyway, securing a conviction could be difficult.

A panel of magistrates would probably accept a policeman's account, assuming it were so, that the cyclist's speech was slurred and he was unsteady on his feet.

So provided you are not in that state, I think you are safe from prosecution.

Makes some sense, although given there is no legal limit for cycling and a cyclist cannot be forced to take a test anyway, securing a conviction could be difficult.

A panel of magistrates would probably accept a policeman's account, assuming it were so, that the cyclist's speech was slurred and he was unsteady on his feet.

So provided you are not in that state, I think you are safe from prosecution.

Yep, spot on. Would also need some evidence that the drunkenness effected the riding (I. E. Unable to hold a straight line, wobbling etc).

Ian193

Über Member
Yep, spot on. Would also need some evidence that the drunkenness effected the riding (I. E. Unable to hold a straight line, wobbling etc).

Some people round here struggle to ride in a straight line when there sober let alone three parts to the wind

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Where I used to live, there was a long alleyway all the way from town to my house, which made a 15-20 minute walk into a 5-10 minute bike ride.

So I fairly often rode home quite merry. I wouldn't recommend it, but I was only endangering myself. I recall a couple of incidents when I ricocheted of the fences on either side.

I don't think cycling on roads when very drunk is clever, but 2 or 3 are probably OK, depending on the busyness.

mattobrien

Guru
Managed perfectly well to cycle home last night on the Brompton after four pints.

I wouldn't probably have more than five or possibly six if riding home and them probably wouldn't be on the Brompton as it isn't the most stable thing in the world.

That said, I did manage to ride no hands for a while on the way home, which with the size of where's on the Brompton is a challenge while stone cold sober, so I am happy I was in control...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Managed perfectly well to cycle home last night on the Brompton after four pints.

I wouldn't probably have more than five or possibly six if riding home and them probably wouldn't be on the Brompton as it isn't the most stable thing in the world.

That said, I did manage to ride no hands for a while on the way home, which with the size of where's on the Brompton is a challenge while stone cold sober, so I am happy I was in control...

I presume the argument is that "managed perfectly well to cycle home last night on the Brompton after four pints" is akin to walking home from the pub after four pints and nothing like driving your car after four pints.

Having said that, it does feel that this attitude smacks a bit of the way drink drivers used to rationalise what they did 40 years ago ie. I was perfectly OK to drive after four pints (when the reality was of course quite different)

mattobrien

Guru
I presume the argument is that "managed perfectly well to cycle home last night on the Brompton after four pints" is akin to walking home from the pub after four pints and nothing like driving your car after four pints.

Having said that, it does feel that this attitude smacks a bit of the way drink drivers used to rationalise what they did 40 years ago ie. I was perfectly OK to drive after four pints (when the reality was of course quite different)
Very happy to walk home after having had four pints. Very happy to cycle home having had four pints (all pints were c. 3.6%, so not quite Stella). Would dream of driving having had two pints, let a lone four.

I was in control of a full 12kg of metal and travelling at the best part of 9mph, probably quite different consequences of being in control of 1,500kgs of metal and travelling a lot faster, should I cease being in control of my functions.

I wouldn't cycle having had a skin full, but I tend not to have a skin full anymore.

Top Bottom