Cycling the whole coast of Ireland - anyone done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was a book*, Cicerone I think, that was about going round Ireland on a bike by pub. Which is what I was looking for.

*2018 as far as I remember.
how many miles a day?

I stand corrected. Camping is only allowed in some forests nowadays in designated areas.

If the OP is a Facebook user, there is a group called Wild camping Ireland which gives a lot of info and ideas.
Sorry tyred I wouldn't dream of restricting myself to a designated area.
And I don't like FB - also the idea of swapping ideas on FB about where to head for a bit of peace sounds like madness itself.

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Wow, thanks so much everyone for these replies - had not realised you had all replied until I checked in just now, so that was a nice surprise. Lots of good links to follow and some good bits of advice. Clockwise, then, for definite, for a bunch of reasons! I will take a look at some of the blogs and links, and post again if I have plan updates or more questions. Starting to feel as it it might happen.... Thanks all!

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
I stand corrected. Camping is only allowed in some forests nowadays in designated areas.

If the OP is a Facebook user, there is a group called Wild camping Ireland which gives a lot of info and ideas.
That's a really handy tip, thank you tyred - I am on FB (a bit reluctantly!) and will definitely check that out. PS your blog is fab too.

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Don't think it was done in one go. Split by County.
This is close to my idea of heaven. Basically I'm going to do it clockwise, and stop at every beach on the left and every pub on the right. Reckon it's going to take me about five years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tap the Ireland tag at the top of the page for other threads that may be able to help.
IMG_20211125_233528.jpg

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Yes, a German friend did it in 2018. About 3,300km from memory, following Wild Atlantic Way (for most the Wild Atlantic Way has many optional extras). for west coast. Took 14 days from memory. How long it is will obviously depend on how closely you follow the coast, since coasts are fractal.

She enjoyed West, North and South coasts but East coast not so much. But depends what you like.
Thanks for this. I don't suppose your German friend would be willing to have some sort of email exchange/online chat with me about it...? 14 days seems unlikely as it would be 235.7km/day...! But would love to know more about her routes and experiences!

tyred

Legendary Member
Thanks for this. I don't suppose your German friend would be willing to have some sort of email exchange/online chat with me about it...? 14 days seems unlikely as it would be 235.7km/day...! But would love to know more about her routes and experiences!
Funny that this should come up as I did meet and talk to a German guy at a hostel (may have been in Westport but can't really remember now) who was touring and covering 200 - 300km per day. Pretty minimalist kit on an alloy framed hybrid from what I recall. He had a Brooks Flyer which he said was the only saddle comfortable for that distance day after day. I wonder was it the same person as surely there aren't that many cycle tourists doing that kind of daily mileage.

EDIT: just read again and see the cyclist referred to was a woman so obviously not the same person.

Funny that this should come up as I did meet and talk to a German guy at a hostel (may have been in Westport but can't really remember now) who was touring and covering 200 - 300km per day. Pretty minimalist kit on an alloy framed hybrid from what I recall. He had a Brooks Flyer which he said was the only saddle comfortable for that distance day after day. I wonder was it the same person as surely there aren't that many cycle tourists doing that kind of daily mileage.
Confirms my idea that those brooks are the quickest way to castration.

@BikesBab if you're a reader you might enjoy McCarthy's Bar, a tale of a man drifting semi aimlessly around the west of Ireland with a similar "rule" to your own. An entertaining and uplifting read to pass the time and whet the appetite as you plan

Top Bottom