Cycling the whole coast of Ireland - anyone done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avsd

Guru
Ooh, have I inadvertently mapped myself over the Causeway? Desperate to see it but yes, not the ideal riding surface. :-/
Try to avoid Tor Head road out of Ballycastle towards the Giants Causeway unless you really like steep climbs and descents. It alongside Mamore Gap in north Donegal are the local 'iconic' climbs. There are also two on Kerry which will be hard to avoid on WAW - Conor's Pass and Healy Pass. Great views at the top of them all than make the climb worthwhile on a good day.

Ooh, have I inadvertently mapped myself over the Causeway? Desperate to see it but yes, not the ideal riding surface. :-/
The archaeological site at New Grange looks like a good place to visit .

@BikesBab
I mentioned it earlier but https://cycle.travel/map is an excellent planner with lots of tools useful for touring such as accommodation options, direct access to Streetview when available and the ability to break a long tour down by overnight stops.
It'll automatically favour the quieter roads and less steep options (but is not perfect).

And Osmand for those times when you want to change route last minute with no phone signal.

Enjoy the planning!

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Try to avoid Tor Head road out of Ballycastle towards the Giants Causeway unless you really like steep climbs and descents. It alongside Mamore Gap in north Donegal are the local 'iconic' climbs. There are also two on Kerry which will be hard to avoid on WAW - Conor's Pass and Healy Pass. Great views at the top of them all than make the climb worthwhile on a good day.
Mm - I do love a good hill. Though whether I will 1000 miles in with luggage I'm not sure! Think I've been over Conor's Pass and it was beautiful.

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
In case anyone was wondering.... it's happening! Time booked off work, plans in place, minimal gear borrowed or bought, routes plotted. Now for a few training rides and a quick bike maintenance 'course' from a mate in return for a couple of ciders. Your number 1 tips for a cycle journey of this scale, if you can be bothered...?!

classic33

Leg End Member
In case anyone was wondering.... it's happening! Time booked off work, plans in place, minimal gear borrowed or bought, routes plotted. Now for a few training rides and a quick bike maintenance 'course' from a mate in return for a couple of ciders. Your number 1 tips for a cycle journey of this scale, if you can be bothered...?!
Don't change the saddle.
Expect it to rain. It's Ireland.
Know when you've reached your limit, and don't try "pushing through it" to complete the days ride. Leads to...
Have alternative places already planned.
Try and get, and keep a taxi number, up to date on your mobile/cellophone, just in case.

Enjoy yourself and the scenery.

Delighted for you!

The advice is often suited to a particular style of touring - what works for one may be hell for another.

My advice is to keep it simple. Try to reduce the predictable stress;
If using a GPS stress test it by going off route etc. Know how much battery life X percent is. Practice plotting an emergency route away from your computer with whatever you will have on the road.
Ditto with gear. Test everything before you leave.
Ditto with any apps you may use - accommodation etc.
Ditto with bank cards, telephone etc.

With theses stresses taken care of I have the headspace to enjoy where I am and what I'm doing.

On a journey of that length, of that timescale it's helpful to be open to what the road presents to you. That town for lunch may be worth staying the night. The local's advice about a backroad may prove to be a gem.

If you want company take out a map. Most people can't resist butting in.

The most important thing to pack is a smile - it will open lots of doors.

And......
Whether you publish it or not I have found taking daily notes and writing them up at the end of the day to be a great tool for remembering detail. With a smartphone it's so easy to type notes or even voice memos.
On such a long trip days can blur and so much detail can be lost.
Strava/RWGPS offer the chance to record your ride and add photos and notes too. Simple, straightforward and very, very rewarding.

Have a great trip!

avsd

Guru
in some parts of rural Ireland cash is still king. I would carry at least a spare/emergency €100.

OP
OP
BikesBab

BikesBab

Regular
Thanks for these excellent tips, all. Definitely making notes of these and adding to my 'to do' and 'pack' lists!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don‘t be too ambitious with distances and be flexible with your schedule. For instance have a shorter day if the weather is awful, may do a little more if the weather is favourable. Booking.com can be good for this as you can often have bookings you can cancel up to 24 hours ahead at no cost.

Consider which is more important to you, cycling the whole coast, or enjoying your tour. The two aren’t exclusive but if you find you’ve bitten off more than you can chew don’t be afraid to miss out some headlands to make up time or be prepared to sacrifice completing the whole coast for enjoying the sections you manage.

Top Bottom