Cycling the whole coast of Ireland - anyone done this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikesBab

Regular
Hi - I've been wondering for a couple of years about taking a few weeks off work to cycle round the entire coast of Ireland. I thought this might be 'a thing' but can't find many other tales of people doing the whole coast, though obvs the WIld Atlantic Way section is popular.

If there are other people who's done this, or sections of it, and have any tips to share about anything really - routeplanning, how easy /acceptable it is to discreetly wild-camp, how long it might take... I'd love to hear from you.

I'm a new member here, but a lifelong cyclist in the 'goes everywhere by bike' sense, not so much into competitions and things - just love getting about by bike, aren't they just the best things? I'd not want to rush - maybe 50m a day average and lots of sea-swimming stops.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm only familiar with the Wild Atlantic Way around Bundoran. I don't think you'll be surprised to hear that there are strong head winds. There seem to be fewer rules and regulations in Ireland, people actually drive their cars along the beach.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, a German friend did it in 2018. About 3,300km from memory, following Wild Atlantic Way (for most the Wild Atlantic Way has many optional extras). for west coast. Took 14 days from memory. How long it is will obviously depend on how closely you follow the coast, since coasts are fractal.

She enjoyed West, North and South coasts but East coast not so much. But depends what you like.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
Yes, a German friend did it in 2018. About 3,300km from memory, following Wild Atlantic Way (for most the Wild Atlantic Way has many optional extras). for west coast. Took 14 days from memory. How long it is will obviously depend on how closely you follow the coast, since coasts are fractal.

She enjoyed West, North and South coasts but East coast not so much. But depends what you like.
The east coast is much less rugged so not as interesting to me personally but some probably prefer it. The weather on the east coast is probably more predictable.

If you really do ride every coast road and visit all the beaches and little harbours you will add serious mileage and time but it's worth it if you can spare the time.

The other thing if you are doing the West Coast is if you ride south to north you should have the prevailing wind behind you.

I rode it north to South but that's because I live in the North West.
you seem to know it well tyred.
Can you shed any light on the OP's question about wild camping possibilities?

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
you seem to know it well tyred.
Can you shed any light on the OP's question about wild canmping possibilities?
I stayed in hostels or very occasionally B&Bs if there was no hostel where I wanted to stay.

I have only experimented with camping quite recently since Covid and only localish around Donegal. You should be okay at the quieter beaches on the sand dunes, just check that there is no signs prohibiting camping. If there's a problem with people leaving litter or making a mess the council will often stick up a no camping sign.

There are a lot of small remote harbours too. Just ask someone if in doubt.

As far as I know, you are allowed to camp in forests too.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've done a large chunk of it from Larne to Wexford. Some day I hope to fill in the missing bit. I didn't do it all in one go but in bits and pieces. I mostly stayed in hostels and usually aimed for about fifty miles per day travelling with everything including the kitchen sink.

You can find the articles I wrote about it on my blog - https://theoldbikeshome.wordpress.com/
That's a good read @tyred ! Hope the ankle is mending well.

It's a wonderful idea!

I did a bit of research on the same a few years ago and from memory:
Mizen to Malin completely along the coast was about 3500km!

There is a route pretty much from Malin to (I think) north of Belfast, a lot coastal, but not all.

The East coast was trickier. There wasn't much that I recall between Belfast and Dublin. Dublin into Wicklow was well served for bikes and south to Rosslare would have been parallel to the coast with occasional turn offs to the coast.

I reckoned it would have taken 3 months, probably longer. But that's me😊.

No disrespect to @tyred but my understanding is that the State ownned (Coillte) forests do not allow wild camping. My understanding could be wrong.
In any case, I think that in a Post-Covid world wild camping could well be a victim. Too many places happily used respectfully for years have been trashed during lockdowns. Landowners and the general public are much more on the alert.

I used cycle.travel for planning.
If you do a search for "greenway" I know that someone is maintaining a map of the entire country showing greenways in the planning stages through to completion. That may help with the East coast.
iOverlander may help with stealth camping options (I've never used it in Ireland). Google maps can be useful for saving interesting things.
Osmand too.

Certainly, the west coast, especially, has some fantastic scenery but it can be wet and windy^_^. I'd suggest you plan accordingly^_^. On another thread I recently suggested a part of that planning should be researching all the pubs with an open fire^_^

Best of luck and please update us on any progress.

No disrespect to @tyred but my understanding is that the State ownned (Coillte) forests do not allow wild camping. My understanding could be wrong.

In any case, I think that in a Post-Covid world wild camping could well be a victim. Too many places happily used respectfully for years have been trashed during lockdowns. Landowners and the general public are much more on the alert.

maybe you should start another thread on that issue hobbes.

For you are surely very experienced/more than the vast majority of us (am not being sarky I stress)

I have the idea that wild-camping is strictly by the letter of the law not allowed on many places on the planet.

But I would consider this very sad if people felt too constrained by this.

Trashing anywhere, or leaving any trace, is of course to be condemned.

Always was/always should be.

I don't see any Covid implications in wild camping at all.

Unless you are a Derbyshire police empire builder.

all the best

Top Bottom