Cycling these days .... rise of the clones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
If I gave them any thought it would probably bug me, but I don't so it doesn't

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I ditched sunglasses :becool: for a visored helmet :ph34r:

1 Kopie.jpg2b16f5af-fd2f-4398-894a-550d0ad65098Large.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You might have something there.
We met a couple of sky clones, one with an upside down bike and a perplexed expression, who didn't know how to take a wheel off. Hubster took the wheel off, had the tyre off in seconds and then spent a couple of mins locating the hole and fixing the puncture. The Sky-clones asked where he went to learn how to do that :laugh: Hubster said "watch and learn, watch and learn". Hubster fixed the puncture, put the tyre back on and left them too it. He figured that they could put the wheel back on and pump it up properly. They may still be there for all I know.
How does the front wheel go on ? The wife is expecting me back !
stock-illustration-25482723-bicycle-skeleton.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Stay for a weekend, you'll see the Lycra and helmets come out as they head for they countryside.
Whats wrong with that :wacko: I live in London and work during the week . If I get to go for a ride I pick Richmond park as its local but at the weekend I want to go for a bigger ride as I have more time to myself . If its early I go into London but get out before the traffic starts . So I then head for the country side .
As I am on a longer ride I wear clothes that stop me getting smothered in sweat and that happens to be lycra . I wear the helmet because I love looking like a twat :laugh:

Ansome

Uh oh...Fab Foodie will be pleased, here it comes.... The rise of the 'Corporate rides'...
http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/news/9987.php#.U8eLnPldX4E

It's the new golf you know (except it's not anything like it). Probably they'll come up with bikes for the category...,Pinarello frames with 'CARBON' written big on the frame so everyone can see, fat and wide saddles, suspension seat posts, suspension headsets, electric motors, 'novelty' clothing and perhaps a special 'domestique', (they might invent a new word for him, maybe umm... 'caddy') to ride alongside to pass the feed bag and G&T's over. It's what we 'cyclists' have been missing all these years after all, a bit of 'pampering'. As long as they enjoy themselves though, that's the main thing.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
You said you lean towards commuting and shopping cycling.

Well stick to that and let others get on. Because I'm one of the peas in a pod and find commuters and shoppers disgusting!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Whats wrong with that :wacko: I live in London and work during the week . If I get to go for a ride I pick Richmond park as its local but at the weekend I want to go for a bigger ride as I have more time to myself . If its early I go into London but get out before the traffic starts . So I then head for the country side .
As I am on a longer ride I wear clothes that stop me getting smothered in sweat and that happens to be lycra . I wear the helmet because I love looking like a twat :laugh:

Nothing, all I was saying was that the Dutchies also ride in lycra and helmets, it's not all wobbling around stoned off their tits on ancient sit up and begs vying to see who can have the most buckled wheel and still move forwards. Come the weekend they get out the nice bikes they daren't park in public for fear of piranhas and go chase some Strava segments. :-) (it's possible my experience of Holland is all Amsterdam by the way and much like London, life is different in The Dam).

SteCenturion

I am your Father
We are seeing a rise in the numbers of cyclists in this area. You can tell the differance between out of towners and locals, by the way they dress. However I have spoken to some of the outsiders and have to say they are very nice people and are always a pleasure to talk to, and I have never been ignored by them even while they fly past me.

The locals on the other hand often ride around on old mtb, wearing shorts, or jeans, tee shirt, and sunglasses, no helmets, and don't give a dam. But, does it matter what people
Wear or look like, as long as they are getting out and about and exercising.

If they are discriminating against people who are older and who don't dress the same as them, then yes that is wrong, and if they are like that then to hell with them. I'd find another club, or not bother at all with a club. But each to his or her own. I have no doubt that some wouldn't even consider me to be a cyclist, because I don't cycle every day but I don't care what anyone else thinks, and neither should anyone else. If being a member of a club like that suits you, then go for it, just as long as they dont try to ram they're opinion down my throat, I don't care what they wear.
Excellent post WD :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Uh oh...Fab Foodie will be pleased, here it comes.... The rise of the 'Corporate rides'...
http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/news/9987.php#.U8eLnPldX4E

It's the new golf you know (except it's not anything like it). Probably they'll come up with bikes for the category...,Pinarello frames with 'CARBON' written big on the frame so everyone can see, fat and wide saddles, suspension seat posts, suspension headsets, electric motors, 'novelty' clothing and perhaps a special 'domestique', (they might invent a new word for him, maybe umm... 'caddy') to ride alongside to pass the feed bag and G&T's over. It's what we 'cyclists' have been missing all these years after all, a bit of 'pampering'. As long as they enjoy themselves though, that's the main thing.
Damn! Why didn't I think of that .....

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I am an oddity (or am I really) ?

I love buying kit, new kit, especially Team race kit & especially Garmin Sharp, as well, it looks Sharp.

I also have bought used (very good condition) old Pro Team jerseys & happily wear them too.

If I had a nipping down the shops bike, I would nip, wearing jeans or shorts & a t-shirt, in trainers, on flat pedals.

As much as I like a fast carbon bike & Rudy Project hard hats & shades, I also love classic steel racers & modern artisan built steel & titanium bikes.

Whether someone has all the gear & no idea, (I might be approaching that camp) or a budget old bike & tons of knowledge doesn't matter so much to me, as, in the end they have a common interest & are better on a bike exercising than standing on shop corners drinking Buckfast or damaging property.

Clubs on the other hand, I am very wary of. By this I mean the type previously described elsewhere, officious looking, everyone in a club jersey, quite regimented in appearance.

It would worry me that some members would be of the "keep up" - "you're not fast enough" - "where's your club jersey" type.

The thought of 'enforcement' to comply & wear club colours or be on every ride out I find the most off putting.

Of course it may not be like this & may only be my outsiders perception.

Each to their own, but with a shared love of cycling & the friendships they can produce.

Enjoy all your cycling good folks, whichever type floats your boat.

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
If found this while looking for another thing, typically - the whole article is good, but these paragraphs sum up where FF is coming from, I think, in particular this;

"As an old riding buddy mentioned recently, this comparison leaves cycling with the risk of being seen by non-cyclists as an ‘elite sport’, and participation tantamount to a statement of social status."

This cycling=golf thinking can only lead to doom. The risk I see is that this nouveau high end of the sport, and the media in lockstep, may position elite level riding too closely with the impression of *requiring* the $8000 bike and the club membership, rather than requiring nothing more than a good attuide, perhaps some interval training, and maybe a few 6hr rides. I imagine wrinkled veterans and young skinsuited pros with fresh manicures saying to those who can afford it: “Welcome to the good life. Here is your custom carbon bike, you have now made it into the club. Have a cigar.” As if that somehow wins you a podium spot in your next crit. It does not. And you know this.

As an old riding buddy mentioned recently, this comparison leaves cycling with the risk of being seen by non-cyclists as an ‘elite sport’, and participation tantamount to a statement of social status. We must fight this with every bit of Cat-5 scrappaciousness that we can collectively muster. Growing the sport to include the country club members is fine, but not if they commandeer the sport’s soul from the same people who made cycling awesome.

http://creativextreme.com/?p=232

Top Bottom