Cycling these days .... rise of the clones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I am an oddity (or am I really) ?

I love buying kit, new kit, especially Team race kit & especially Garmin Sharp, as well, it looks Sharp.

I also have bought used (very good condition) old Pro Team jerseys & happily wear them too.

I like the kit to be a bit matched and may be guilty of buying a black and white jersey to look right with the black and white bike (although, 15 euros from Decathlon so hardly splashing out) I like jerseys from out of the way places, so I have a couple from LBS's in Wisconsin. I'm not one for buying the team kit because (rightly or wrongly) I've signed on to the 'earn it before you wear it' ethos. I don't do many (any?) nip down the shops rides (my shops are down a hill on a narrow lane and on the edge of pikeyville so there'd be no bike when I came out with my pint of milk) but if I did I'd happily do it in whatever I was wearing. Because I rarely ride less than 15 miles a trip I wear 'proper' kit to do it in.

While we were in Amsterdam on our cheap bikes we rode everywhere in what we were wearing for the rest of the day quite happily.

I'm firmly in the 'do whatever makes you happy' camp although will scowl if that's telling other people they are doing it wrong.

U

User169

Nothing, all I was saying was that the Dutchies also ride in lycra and helmets, it's not all wobbling around stoned off their tits on ancient sit up and begs vying to see who can have the most buckled wheel and still move forwards. Come the weekend they get out the nice bikes they daren't park in public for fear of piranhas and go chase some Strava segments. :-) (it's possible my experience of Holland is all Amsterdam by the way and much like London, life is different in The Dam).

Yeah and scare the bejeezus out of the pootlers! A couple of years ago there was some talk about something having to be done about big peletons forcing slower riders off bike paths. Seems to have died down a bit now though.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If found this while looking for another thing, typically - the whole article is good, but these paragraphs sum up where FF is coming from, I think, in particular this;

"As an old riding buddy mentioned recently, this comparison leaves cycling with the risk of being seen by non-cyclists as an ‘elite sport’, and participation tantamount to a statement of social status."

http://creativextreme.com/?p=232

Excellent!
I think that's right in line with where I was coming from at the start.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Excellent!
I think that's right in line with where I was coming from at the start.
I agree FF, it is easy to derail from the original intentions or sentiments of the post & your sentiments in the OP are honest & well put.

There is a danger of some cloning & cronyism spreading as the cycling bug spreads.

Some of the side effects of the growing popularity of the sport side of things I suppose.

Generally I feel that the positives of this boom will outweigh these negatives & in the main cycling as.a sport, mode of transport or leisure pursuit will benefit overall.

Vive' la difference'

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
HOWEVER......
I wore a cycling cap the other day out cycling on the roadie, and got some funny stares from other cyclists... (though cap and no helmet seems to be de rigeur amongst older cyclists round these parts).

I must admit, I would never take a musette... outside of briefly on the Tour (etc) (food stations) I've only ever seen one cyclist with one (and he was also wearing a pink Rapha jersey, so probably a nobber) :thumbsup:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
HOWEVER......
I must admit, I would never take a musette... outside of briefly on the Tour (etc) (food stations) I've only ever seen one cyclist with one (and he was also wearing a pink Rapha jersey, so probably a nobber) :thumbsup:
I quite often have a musette to hand - I used to use one quite often for running the previous owners' (of our house) letters to them before carrying on on a longer ride. Musettes are handy because they roll up small & can go in a jersey pocket. Any ride on which left over cake, or other nice things may need carrying back benefits from one :smile:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
HOWEVER......
I wore a cycling cap the other day out cycling on the roadie, and got some funny stares from other cyclists... (though cap and no helmet seems to be de rigeur amongst older cyclists round these parts).

I do hope it's the Rapha bit that makes him a nobber, I've just ordered a pink jersey,

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Pink on its own is good, Rapha on its own would be good if I could afford it, but the combination screams NOBBER :smile::thumbsup:

:thanks:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
HOWEVER......

I wear my Turquoise Campagnolo cycling cap when I'm out on the folding shopper .... I got a nod from a Roadie today, so it must be a powerful indicator of my true status ....

SteCenturion

I am your Father
HOWEVER......

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Say what you see Fnaar... say what you see..

Top Bottom