Cycling to be faster than driving soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Certainly my commute through town is faster on the bike, it's only the national speed limit sections I lose out. Commute on a night shift by van is 45 minutes, bike about the same. Early shifts the van is always faster as it's pre-rush hour.

I like the article quoting motoring groups calling for cars to be allowed in bus lanes etc to 'optimise' traffic flow. Next they will be wanting all the cycling infrastructure removed too, all for the all powerful motorcar....

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
I like the article quoting motoring groups calling for cars to be allowed in bus lanes etc to 'optimise' traffic flow. Next they will be wanting all the cycling infrastructure removed too, all for the all powerful motorcar....
That caught my eye too. It is a completely backwards solution, the roads are full so let's make them fuller still. The logic of that approach completely escapes me.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I was sent a link to one of Quentin Wilson's fair fuel uk questionnaires last week. The topic was air quality and one of the answers to one of the questions was genuinely "Fewer cycle lanes".

Fortunately they gave the option to add your own, so I voted for significantly more and better designed cycle lanes :laugh:

It really shows the narrow-minded approach they're taking when they genuinely think that removing one of the most environmentally friendly methods of transport can be good for the environment :huh:

Slick

Guru
It's not really true for me, although I do cycle further than I would drive. Driving commute is 10 miles for 25 minutes as long as I leave about 40 minutes earlier than I need to, and the bike is around 50 minutes for a 15 mile commute although this goes to over an hour on the way home as the last 4 miles is all up hill.

Slick

Guru
I was sent a link to one of Quentin Wilson's fair fuel uk questionnaires last week. The topic was air quality and one of the answers to one of the questions was genuinely "Fewer cycle lanes".

Fortunately they gave the option to add your own, so I voted for significantly more and better designed cycle lanes :laugh:

It really shows the narrow-minded approach they're taking when they genuinely think that removing one of the most environmentally friendly methods of transport can be good for the environment :huh:
I was sent the same questionnaire and answered it in the same manner.:thumbsup:

Tizme

Veteran
I'm sorry, you obviously don't understand, just because you can get to work, have a shower and are sat drinking a cuppa as your car driving workmates arrive, you couldn't possibly have made the trip quicker - everyone knows cycling is much slower than driving, it's just the traffic queues and hold-ups that stopped them arriving before you:rolleyes:.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Trips by bicycle often seem weirdly fast to me. My commute is about 6 miles, most of which is an NSL road driven at around 45 mph. There is rarely any traffic, yet it takes me about 20 minutes by car and 25 by bike!? Once you factor in parking and walking to the destination the bicycle is probably a bit quicker.

On a commute, my average speed will often be 3 or 4 mph quicker, on the bike. There’s a guy who works on the same science park as I do, and drives pretty much the route I Cycle. I’ve passed him, and arrived well before him on several occasions.

mgs315

Yep I’d say my old 10 mile morning commute was about the same by bicycle (very early morning) and on the way home it’s about twice as fast due to gridlock of central London.

Hell I think even the train was only 2-3 minutes faster at the premium of £6-7 extra a day (Or about £1500 a year if you look at it that way). It does feature complimentary sardine tin/freezing platform experiences though. Oh and then the need for a gym membership to get enough cardio in.

Their suggestion based on the fact the average male pace of 16mph is quite amusing though. Yes that may be the average Strava speed in the UK but I wouldn’t call Strava cyclists a representation of the average cycling population, let alone the general population if you suddenly stuck them all on bikes. I don’t average 16mph (more about 14-15) but I’d say I’ve got about a 10:1 passing/passed ratio on the road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom