Cycling to be faster than driving soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
IME, cycling is definitely faster than the bus - from the city centre to our home is 5 miles and nearly all uphill, but despite the bus having dedicated bus lanes, guided busways and priority traffic lights for most of the route I'm still first home on the bike.

And my average speed isn't 16mph either. ^_^

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm sorry, you obviously don't understand, just because you can get to work, have a shower and are sat drinking a cuppa as your car driving workmates arrive, you couldn't possibly have made the trip quicker - everyone knows cycling is much slower than driving, it's just the traffic queues and hold-ups that stopped them arriving before you:rolleyes:.
Let's not forget that a cycling commute is also our twice-daily exercise session, thus obviating the need to attend time-consuming gym sessions. But as soon as you tell all that to typical diehard motorists, their eyes glaze over and the denial sets in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My commute is 21 miles over a big hill and there's nowhere at work to store clothes, shower and change so I have only cycled it a few times but when I have done it by bike I've been amazed at how bright and effective I've felt at work. I'd love to cycle more often.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Cycling isn't faster for me - it's only 10-15 mins by car but up to an hour by bike. However that's 3.5 mind numbingly boring direct against up to 15 miles relaxed meandering all over Trimley, Walton & Felixstowe with views over the fields to the River Deben and riding alongside the seafront plus the occasional off road diversion.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
For me, it wasn't just a matter of the bike being quicker. It's just so much more fun than crawling along at a snail's pace in a motor vehicle.. You arrive at work refreshed and stimulated, rather than grumpy from wasting your life in stationary traffic.

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
The thread title made me believe this was about the rise in numbers of illegally powerful pedelecs.
Sorry, it was half tongue in cheek, half clickbait. Should I edit the title to make it more descriptive?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Having a largely separate and uninterrupted cycle path on an old railroad grade, my commute was often faster due to less traffic crossings and fewer bicycles and pedestrians at my time of day. Good design can make all traffic flow better, but it is much easier to make cycling paths more efficient than it is to make auto roads more efficient. Motorists seem to be a bit to impatient to accept the necessary compromises to make such a thing happen.

Reactions: mjr

spen666

Legendary Member

I like the article quoting motoring groups calling for cars to be allowed in bus lanes etc to 'optimise' traffic flow. Next they will be wanting all the cycling infrastructure removed too, all for the all powerful motorcar....

I was watching football at Orient on Saturday, and yes, I went by car [ Hangs heads in shame]

There was the usual congestion around Leyton area before and after the game. The crowd at the game was 5600. In the relatively recent past - eg 1970s and 1980s, Orient used to get crowds of upto 20,000 at games. People managed to get to and from games with little traffic congestion. They walked, cycled and used public transport.

These days everyone wants to be saelfish and travel in their own little box and wants no one else on the road slowing them down. [ Me included]

This mindset must change. We need to realise that walking, cycling and public transport can provide more than adequate alternatives. It just means we need to think ahead and plan what we are doing.

A similar situation is now we have mobile phones, no one makes proper plans or arranges in advance where to meet up. We prefer to put off planning till the last minute

Top Bottom