Cycling to be faster than driving soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Certainly my commute through town is faster on the bike, it's only the national speed limit sections I lose out. Commute on a night shift by van is 45 minutes, bike about the same. Early shifts the van is always faster as it's pre-rush hour.

I like the article quoting motoring groups calling for cars to be allowed in bus lanes etc to 'optimise' traffic flow. Next they will be wanting all the cycling infrastructure removed too, all for the all powerful motorcar....
Those car lobbyists should tell us how the buses lanes will be optimized after the cars have taken that lane. Until then, they're chatting cr4p.

Reactions: C R
Cycling to be faster than driving soon

It already is in some cities :-)

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
[QUOTE 5192395, member: 43827"]Like mgs315 I would question the average cyclist speed in the article. This is via Strava, which includes a subset of cyclists that are possibly more concerned about performance cycling than the typical cyclist. Does it cover cycling in towns and cities specifically, and does it cover elapsed time or moving time?

Not saying it's wrong but I would like to see how the figures are arrived at.[/QUOTE]
My average is about 13 mph, so well below the quoted average, and I still get quicker to work in my bike than in my car.

Slick

Guru
Me too!
I noticed they consider me to be a Supporter, but my only contact with their organisation was to ridicule an earlier opinion poll of theirs some months ago:biggrin:.
Yes, that's the only disappointing thing, I'm registered as a supporter. :evil:

I suppose it's the enemy within.:thumbsup:

Slick

Guru
It strikes me that all those branch railways that Beeching axed wold be viable nowadays if reopened because the communities they served have grown out of control into commuter towns.
I think that's probably very true, however after spending last week on Aberdeens many paths and trails I reckon they are better placed as bike paths. :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's no political will to reopen railways yet I bet with modern equipment they would be considerably cheaper to run than in the 1880s.

One example is the Manchester Metro, which runs from Manchester to Bury where it terminates. Yet a track bed exists all the way up Rossendale to Accrington where it could connect with the Blackburn to Burnley line. For part of that distance it is used by a heritage line.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I did a job a couple of years ago in New cross , London . Its about 18 miles from my house and was taking me 4 hours to drive there and 4 to get home . I ended up dropping everything off one Sunday and then riding there and home during the week .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
25 years ago I used to cycle to work across the city on a hefty Raleigh Amazon MTB with knobbly tyres. About 7 miles each way.

At peak times, on a good day the car took a couple of minutes less than the bike. Most times the bike was quicker though, especially during the evening commute back home.

It seems not much has changed.

rivers

How far can I go?
My commute by bike is quicker than if I drove my car, if I leave at the same time (in the off chance I have to take the car to work, I leave before rush hour so I can get a parking space). And the route I take cycling is 5 miles longer than the car/motorbike route. Motorbike wins out as the quickest though.

Top Bottom