cycling to have new car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

i'm also setting a limit on the price of a coffee , it's getting crazy :wacko: :tongue:
I'm with you on that one, one of my pleasures was on the 3 morning I have to go into the office was to have a Nero coffee, but it's gone from £2.10 to £2.70 in the last 5 years, £2.30 to £2.70 in the last 2 I think, I bought a cafetiere some ground coffee & make my own now, it's not the same & I miss it, but it's £40ish a month saved.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Spending money we haven't got, to buy items we can't afford, to impress people we don't like. That's a ridiculous cycle of pointless consumption, and is the reason a lot of folk aren't retiring 10 or 15 years earlier than they are.
The main reason I'm not retiring in five months' time is that the Government upped the minimum age to 55 for drawing a private pension!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We are doing down to one car soon as we just no longer need two. Can't cycle to work but can work round having one car. Will save all around too with cheeper insurance and fuel not that the Yaris is too costly but the Aygo runs on very little in comparison.

You can't go wrong with either. We had a Yaris for 16 years. Would do 60 mpg if you stuck to 60mph, and 40 mpg round town in stop start. Between the two, keep the newest.

If you can't afford to buy it with cash, or replace it if lost or stolen, you cant afford it. Only exception in my life is my house. Havnt paid interest on anything in 5 years now. Except once when I went overdrawn by £2.50 when I used the wrong card at a checkout. that account was swiftly closed. Now people pay ME interest. :cheers:

I prefer that arrangement.

fossyant

29mpg is horrific when one considers the dwindling hydrocarbon resources and environmental impact.

I'm not going to preach, you're a grown up, but some folk here and there don't seem to have cottoned on that such frivolities are fast becoming as acceptable as passive smoking. Enjoy it if thats your thing, but I wouldn't be harping on about it myself in the current climate (nice pun, eh?)

Thats why Im thinking of a mad hybrid. Will do 40 mpg in town, but less on a run. My miles are in town. Plus I keep my cars a long time. Our last two have been over 16 years in our ownership, and I look after them. Ive been sensible all my life with cars, as I got my fun on pedal bikes.

OP
OP
coolchef

coolchef

User13710 said:
Having said hello, the OP spends almost seven years thinking about what to post on a cycling forum, then decides to boast about his car. :wacko:

Other than deriding the OP is there a point to your post? I know there are numerous rules on the forum but is there a specific one that states members hove to post so many posts a year?

No offence was taken, i dont know User13710 so dont care. i put a post in a section thats for generalising. the comments have been wide reaching in the extremes from what i can see. i joined a long time ago but was busy getting on with life :smile: and just started to look at the forum again recently. Not boasting about my car i expect the same can be said about plenty of people here who post pics of their bikes. If when it comes to the end i can look back and said yep i ticked most of the boxes i wanted to then i am happy, and irrelevant what any one else says or thinks..
and i still love to ride my bikes and drive my car whatever makes us happy is important..

Last edited:

fossyant

Thanks, declared SORN and on the drive as I sort of ran out of money putting kids through uni etc.....

Sod the kids. They can borrow from the Government and never pay it back..

fossyant

Spending money we haven't got, to buy items we can't afford, to impress people we don't like. That's a ridiculous cycle of pointless consumption, and is the reason a lot of folk aren't retiring 10 or 15 years earlier than they are.

There are loads of folk who do it. Our neighbours both have top spec Merc A class and a 1 series BMW. Both very new, and both leased most likely. They live in a 2 bed terrace. See many folk with cars way better than their house.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are loads of folk who do it. Our neighbours both have top spec Merc A class and a 1 series BMW. Both very new, and both leased most likely. They live in a 2 bed terrace. See many folk with cars way better than their house.

If needs must, you can sleep in a car but cannot drive a house. Despite a lifetime of making my living from cars I have very little interest in them, as my choice of car shows.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you can't afford to buy it with cash, or replace it if lost or stolen, you cant afford it. Only exception in my life is my house. Havnt paid interest on anything in 5 years now. Except once when I went overdrawn by £2.50 when I used the wrong card at a checkout. that account was swiftly closed. Now people pay ME interest. :cheers:

I prefer that arrangement.
There is good debt and bad debt. If your budget allows you to comfortably afford the repayments you don't have a problem, if it doesn't you do. It is not immoral to buy on credit, in fact that's what makes the world go round - as you discovered with your house buying.

Don't forget that if you can't keep up the payments on a car they come and take it back. If you default on your mortgage you're homeless.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I went the other way, went from having two cars to one and that one hardly gets driven
Similar
Th bank crash started me cycling seriously again when i was put on short time for 2 years, went from running 2 cars to only one which the wife uses as the main driver and i occasionally borrow or i do long drives for family trips.
The main car is a 4 year old dacia which is perfect for our needs , to me the car is a tool , not an extension of my ego or other protuberance substitute.

Top Bottom