Cycling to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Today's bright idea is to spend a week cycling to Paris in time for our already planned trip to see the Tour!! We'd have 5 days to get there, either from London or from my parents' home near Salisbury.

We'd either go London/Newhaven/Dieppe or Salisbury/Portsmouth/Le Havre and then on to Paris.

Quite excited...any thoughts on routes?

buggi

Bird Saviour
I've done London/Dover/Dunkerque/Arras/Compiegne/Paris (pretty flat except for Dover)

and London/Newhaven/Dieppe/Liseux/Vernon/Paris (more hilly but very scenic and we went slightly the long way round)

and this year i'm doing London/Portsmouth/St Malo/[insert town i can't remember name of]/Cheyenne, Paris. REALLY long way round and hilly... it's gonna be harder.

All have taken/will take 4 days.

I think the most direct route is London/Newhaven/Dieppe and then straight towards Paris rather than going through Liseux and Vernon which is slightly off the beaten track. if you go that way i think it's just over 200 miles.

Just got back from Paree last night!
3 days London - Dover over to Calais 87 Miles, Calais - Amiens 102 miles and down to Paris 96 miles.
So really to keep it to 200 you need a longer Ferry - so really my route will be useless for you!

Only advice is to really map the Paris bit on a good A-Z. We did not as we thought we could just pick up a road in and follow it until we got near enough to find our way. Total disaster and nearly missed the train home. I would probaly say also try to arrive out of rush hour I really nearly got splatted by Parisian traffic about three times within 1 hour. They just seem to ignore you and turn in front or barge you off the road.

Oh and France seems to be closed most of the time so travel with all you need for the day!

JackE

Über Member
If you PM me your e-mail address I will send you my Dieppe to Paris route which a lovely 125 mile ride. Our ride from London to Newhaven was 70 miles.

Top Bottom