Cycling to school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Well, my oldest is 9, he walks himself to school crossing a major road (there is an island and the majority of time he's waved across)....the school is about 150M away if that!.....He's been doing this for almost a year.
The school also sent home a letter after xmas seeing if you wanted to allow your child to walk home....forward thinking I guess.
I'd appauld the school as when we go in for "parents evenings" now done on a sat so the working parents dont miss out or have to take time off.....(son number 2 (now 3y/o will be going there also))
High school is 1 1/2 mile down the canal with bike sheds.
He also takes himself to boxing which is about a mile, maybe a mile 1/2 away on his razor scooter(no room in the gym for his bike) crossing two major roads but using crossing points, I pick him up with son number two on his bike...I jog.

As parents we're still nervous about him being out and dont let him wander around/playout unlike some of his peers, however at his age I was riding off up to Saddleworth on my BMX from Oldham so maybe I should "chillout oldman!"

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
I kid you not, one of the parents at my sons' school drives two kids *300* feet to school (just measured it on Memory Map, and that's being generous). Her argument is that "it's on her way" to work...

I used to live down the road from a housewife who would drive her kid about that same distance to school, then she would turn around and drive home.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
As parents we're still nervous about him being out and dont let him wander around/playout unlike some of his peers, however at his age I was riding off up to Saddleworth on my BMX from Oldham so maybe I should "chillout oldman!"

A tip I learned in the Cycling Instructor course - when using the sidewalk, you cut the risk of being hit at intersections in half if you walk on the same side as cars travelling in your direction. Motorists tend to look towards oncoming traffic when pulling out onto a road, and if you're walking against traffic, the motorists are less likely to see you. Might be a good tip to pass on to your son.

Hicky

Guru
A tip I learned in the Cycling Instructor course - when using the sidewalk, you cut the risk of being hit at intersections in half if you walk on the same side as cars travelling in your direction. Motorists tend to look towards oncoming traffic when pulling out onto a road, and if you're walking against traffic, the motorists are less likely to see you. Might be a good tip to pass on to your son.

I'll put him onto it thanks, he's probably done more road riding in France than here and he knows not to use the road as he's not sensible(or had any training) so knows my views on it.....and the local scrotes would probably nick it off him if left to ride where ever he wanted.

I'm trying to get the school to run a bikeability course or something as one of the other local primarys have done so recently....lord knows some of the staff could do with a bit of exersize.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.

Funnily enough, I was taught at school to always walk against traffic on the pavement, so you can see what is coming at you.

Hicky

Guru
I always jog into traffic(on the pavement!) and walk into oncomming traffic if on roads with no path(when hiking or the like)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, my oldest is 9, he walks himself to school crossing a major road (there is an island and the majority of time he's waved across)....the school is about 150M away if that!.....He's been doing this for almost a year.
The school also sent home a letter after xmas seeing if you wanted to allow your child to walk home....forward thinking I guess.
I'd appauld the school as when we go in for "parents evenings" now done on a sat so the working parents dont miss out or have to take time off.....(son number 2 (now 3y/o will be going there also))
High school is 1 1/2 mile down the canal with bike sheds.
He also takes himself to boxing which is about a mile, maybe a mile 1/2 away on his razor scooter(no room in the gym for his bike) crossing two major roads but using crossing points, I pick him up with son number two on his bike...I jog.

This is my view on the issue, but it is a thorny one and my wife takes the opposing view so at the moment my 9yr old son is not allowed to ride out on his own. I know he is ready and capable and I know i was riding free at his age, and with a damn site less coaching!

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Funnily enough, I was taught at school to always walk against traffic on the pavement, so you can see what is coming at you.

Yeah. They always used to teach that. But apparently it's wrong.

You just have to consider where the driver is looking. They just don't look at where Cars aren't an immediate danger to them. They aren't interested in that direction because nothing coming from there can hurt them. When you're walking against traffic, motorists entering the roadway will only glance your way for a split second. Conversely, they will scan and scan over again the direction where oncoming traffic is likely to be.

Statistically, you're twice as likely to be hit walking against traffic as you are walking with traffic.

Here in Maryland, where there is no sidewalk, pedestrians are required by law (though I'm sure it's not policed) to walk in the direction of traffic, for this reason.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Yeah. They always used to teach that. But apparently it's wrong.

You just have to consider where the driver is looking. They just don't look at where Cars aren't an immediate danger to them. They aren't interested in that direction because nothing coming from there can hurt them. When you're walking against traffic, motorists entering the roadway will only glance your way for a split second. Conversely, they will scan and scan over again the direction where oncoming traffic is likely to be.

Statistically, you're twice as likely to be hit walking against traffic as you are walking with traffic.

Is that simply because 80 percent (completely made up) of pedestrains are walking "facing" traffic therefore creating a "twice as likely" statistic out of sheer numbers? I do most of my daily commute on small back roads that have quite a few pedestrians. The ones that are walking toward me I can smile and wave at. They see me, I see them.

But then there are the ones who are walking with their back to the traffic (and me). A good portion of them have headphones or ear buds in and have no clue of what's going on around them. Even with me moving to the middle of the road (putting myself in potential danger) I still manage to scare the shite out of alot of them.

And just to show I try to be flexible, I have tried walking in the other direction on the roads. I don't think I've ever come that close to gettin run over so many times in so little time. It was genuinely unnerving.

Hicky

Guru
This is my view on the issue, but it is a thorny one and my wife takes the opposing view so at the moment my 9yr old son is not allowed to ride out on his own. I know he is ready and capable and I know i was riding free at his age, and with a damn site less coaching!

I hate the "I'll be on my best behaviour" look as he goes tearing along completely ignoring the fact mum is watching him.
I have two large scar's pointing to the fact I'm not the most carefull and dont want him to find out the painfull way.....plus I dont want him to be mugged for his Cube....another 10months or so and him and the friends from school who I trust(loosely used term they're all barmy) will all be out and are close knit.

I'm might ask my folks what they experianced at this time with me.....oh, I'm the youngest of 5 didnt matter too much:B)

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
Is that simply because 80 percent (completely made up) of pedestrains are walking "facing" traffic therefore creating a "twice as likely" statistic out of sheer numbers?

Definitely not. This has been studied many times.

I do most of my daily commute on small back roads that have quite a few pedestrians. The ones that are walking toward me I can smile and wave at. They see me, I see them.

I don't think you see my point. It's not on the straightaways that the problem is. It's at intersections when cars are coming from different directions and entering the roadway.

While it's true that pedestrians fear cars coming along the same road that they're on the most, the real danger is when they cross the road at an intersection. Here is where most pedestrians are struck.

Top Bottom