Cycling to school?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rode with my daughter to school this morning (both of us on the bikes).

After seeing her off I came out of the school gates to see a woman parked on the 'NO STOPPING' zig-zag lines, beneath the 'NO STOPPING' sign................

..wrestling to get her childs bike out of the back of the car :smile:

I didn't stop to help. Pity I didn't have a camera on me.

On the plus side the bike shed must have had twice the ususal amount of occupants. Might have something to do with a community PC visit to engrave and photo the kids bikes.

Noodley

Piemaster said:
Pity I didn't have a camera on me.

Why? Was she nekkid? :smile:;):smile:

SamNichols

I have to say that I'd be nervous to send a kid cycling to school on their own, as I myself was hit by a car on the way back from school when I was about 11.

Did you want to film it for You've been framed type purposes?

Trillian

i can see myself using a tail gator kind of thing to get my kid to school

need the wife and kid first...

OP
OP
Piemaster

Piemaster

Guru
SamNichols said:
I have to say that I'd be nervous to send a kid cycling to school on their own, as I myself was hit by a car on the way back from school when I was about 11.

Did you want to film it for You've been framed type purposes?

Most of cyclists in the area seem to use the paths anyway, including the adults. There's a 20mph zone around the area but at school times traffic is slow due to the volume and a forceful lolipop lady.

A photo would have summed up my OP without the use of words.

School is notorious for parking, one of a couple in the city that always has a regular problem with inconsiderate car drivers. Local PCSO pitches up now and then which stops the parking on the 'NO STOPPING' area while he's there, which only apply at school starting / leaving times anyway.

wafflycat

My offspring started cycling the 5+ miles to school when he went to high school. Country roads, narrow, 60mph limit, busy during rush hours, as they may be country roads, but they are still the main ways to get from A t0 B round here, many an HGV as there's manay a quarry round here, then there's the big agricultural machinery with pointy bits on it. No farcilities, no paths.

To start off with, I and/or his Dad cycled with him. Then, when we felt he'd got enough skill, we let him cycle on his own. I worried, I ate my fingernails. But I knew that part of being a parent is actually teaching the offspring the skills to survive in the real world & be independent & confident. By the time he was choosing where to study his A-levels, we said "you get there under your own steam" and he chose a place 13 miles away, so he had a cycling commute of 26 miles in all weathers. He survived and is a happy, confident, outgoing young adult at university and he has had bags more road sense than his non-cycling peers for many a year.

I'm glad I allowed him to cycle to & from school. Gave me lots of worry: it's what a mum does, but he managed to survive and so did I ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I wish this story beggered more belief Piemaster, at my daughters primary school we have had to call in the PCSOs to stop inconsiderate parents parking up on the zig zag lines to drop their kids off as well as to deter idiot drivers from completely ignoring the zebra crossings and both of our Lollypop Ladies.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's the same every school over and its the same parents each time. The other thing that amazes me is the ones who will park outside the school at 14:45 so they can be closest for when school chucks out at 15:30 !

Maz

Guru
We've got cycling proficiency week at our kid's school, hence bigger number of kids biking to school. Always get the odd parent parkng on the zig-zags, so there's sometimes a member of staff to tell them not to do it.

I used to live in Hull, Piemaster...off Newland Av.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I usually find a shout of "What part of 'Keep Clear' don't you understand?" helps... obviously it doesn't help them as they're clearly just moronic individuals with dried sheep droppings dipped in horse piss for brains, but it helps me relieve my rising stress levels at seeing these idiots. :angry::rolleyes:!

I'm all Zen-like, me. No, really! :sad:

Trillian

i don't see a problem with how my mum used to drop me off for school, admittedly it wasn't on the 'no stopping' lines, but it was simply pull into the kerb, i hopped out and my mum went, took about 5 mins tops.

to stop and leave the car however is a bit daft if you ask me.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Trillian said:
i don't see a problem with how my mum used to drop me off for school, admittedly it wasn't on the 'no stopping' lines, but it was simply pull into the kerb, i hopped out and my mum went, took about 5 mins tops.

to stop and leave the car however is a bit daft if you ask me.
Jesus - you must have been a slow 'hopper' :sad:

Always walked to School when I was a kid, then cycled when I got to 'Big School' or walked with my mates.

I had fond memories of the approx 3 mile hike... then measured it on Google maps and it was less that 1.5 miles!! :angry::rolleyes:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
We find parent who leave their cars locked with the engine running on the zig zags while they take their kids into the playground!!

Come September I am going to start trying to get the local road safety dept of the council to the school and look at ways to make these crossings and roads safer for all involved.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I walk to school which is just over a mile a way. I dont cycle it because my bike will be wrecked by the end of a day.
The school up the road had kids cycling there. They lock the bikes up to the railings of the boiler room. What annoyed me was when a kid rode down the hill no handed and was vering over the road. He wasnt going really fast and was honked at. He then tucked himself in close the to the parked cars.
The parents used to park right outside the school. The school is in a small square with roads going all around it. All these roads have people parking on them. They did used to park just down from where the lollypop lady stands. There was even a women that blocked her with the car and rushed to the school gates for their kid, who she had to wait for.

Top Bottom