Cycling Turbo Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Furkz

Über Member
Hi

I haven no idea which one to buy. I have seen a few but don't have enough spare cash for the good stuff but just want to make the most of my bike in the winter months. My weight is gaining and I want to keep on top of that has I'm already huge.

I've seen this but have no idea if its any good. I know you guys will let me know or recommend me something for a similar budget please.

Clarke CCTI Bike Trainer: http://bit.ly/YdKfar

tjones

I shall read this thread with interest as I plan on buying a turbo trainer this year

jim55

Guru
good price for that brand new ,yeah that looks ok ,they are better than nothing ,but get a fan as well ,you WILL sweat

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
The only thing I'd say about trainers is that you should try and buy the best you can afford. Some of the cheaper one's can have a tendency to fall apart during prolonged hard use. It really pays to do your homework and a bit of web review surfing to see if particular models have issues. If in doubt, buy from a store, that way you can at least return the item should it fail.

The one I bought uses fluid and that one from decathlon uses magnets, which I'm led to believe is noisier?

magnets are not noisy..?

Reece

Veteran
magnets are not noisy..?
If I'm wrong then I'm wrong. When I was looking into getting a turbo a few weeks back I read fluid were a better option than magnetic ones and I'm sure one of the points were magnetic turbos were noiser than fluid turbos, maybe I'm confused on what I read.

However I still recommend the one I linked as was the upper part of my budget, came recommended by others and no problems so far and is very quiet. All that I hear on my is the bikes chain going round.

OP
OP
Furkz

Furkz

Über Member
Think I'm gonna get it and see ow it goes. Can always stick it back on eBay and upgrade later if indoor training is for me. Thanks guys.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Fluid one's are better because they have a linear resistance model and you use the bike's gearing to up the resistance rather than a bar attached lever. Mag ones tend to be both noiser and hotter as the resistance generates a lot of energy. Fluid one's are more expensive than Mags. Check out some youtube vids as you can often get an idea of the noise levels. If noise is an issue you can always invest in a specific trainer tyre which can help reduce noise, but unless you want to keep changing tyres, you will need another wheel and casette (which is when it all gets rather expensive).

Top Bottom