Cycling UK membership not quite all it seems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some years ago I subscribed to the family membership.
Me and my eldest used to cut about on a tandem, my youngest was getting into road cycling. It made sense.
Over the years the direct debit has been getting taken off annually. Family membership has been re-branded household membership; it covers 2 adults and 2 under 18s at the same address.
We haven't been out on the tandem for a good while. The current cyclists in my household are me & youngest. He got knocked off his bike*. The insurance and legal cover that I thought I had in place don't cover him. Looks like the last 3 years' worth of subs haven't been getting teh cover I thought I was getting.
I appreciate the old caveat emptor bit applies and I should have checked at each renewal, but I am still left with a feeling of disappointment.
Anyway, upshot is, check your membership status every now and then.

*front forks separated from headset. Police and ambulance in attendance. Driver being done for reckless driving. Digby Brown (Cycling UK's designated legal rep in Scotland) continuing on no-win no fee basis.

alicat

Legendary Member
I note that the claim is being pursued at no cost to you. For the benefit of anyone else in a similar position, last time I checked (ho, hum!) you could join Cycling UK and get the benefit of the insurance retrospectively.

Slick

Guru
Some years ago I subscribed to the family membership.
Me and my eldest used to cut about on a tandem, my youngest was getting into road cycling. It made sense.
Over the years the direct debit has been getting taken off annually. Family membership has been re-branded household membership; it covers 2 adults and 2 under 18s at the same address.
We haven't been out on the tandem for a good while. The current cyclists in my household are me & youngest. He got knocked off his bike*. The insurance and legal cover that I thought I had in place don't cover him. Looks like the last 3 years' worth of subs haven't been getting teh cover I thought I was getting.
I appreciate the old caveat emptor bit applies and I should have checked at each renewal, but I am still left with a feeling of disappointment.
Anyway, upshot is, check your membership status every now and then.

*front forks separated from headset. Police and ambulance in attendance. Driver being done for reckless driving. Digby Brown (Cycling UK's designated legal rep in Scotland) continuing on no-win no fee basis.

Lesson learned, who cares, Digby Brown. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
I note that the claim is being pursued at no cost to you. For the benefit of anyone else in a similar position, last time I checked (ho, hum!) you could join Cycling UK and get the benefit of the insurance retrospectively.
There's been a few, some this year, who have said that CUK membership wouldn't cover you in an incident that had happened before taking out membership of CUK.

I think many people think that "a claim will be pursued on your behalf" = insured.

You can appoint someone to pursue a claim on a no win no fee basis -so notes sure it's worth anything at all.

I use cycle plan - which covers injuries to myself - and it's a benefit - not a legal claim.

Top Bottom