Cycling with a cold be careful

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For the last 2 weeks i have had a stinking cold, the full works with mucus cough, nose running constantly yet i religiously cycle commuted to work as i was convinced that i was on the mend and 2 10 mile trips a day and a manual job where i can be in and out of a cold warehouse would not affect me .
Yesterday i got a lot worse, people at work were saying i should not have been in at all.So i struggle home and decide to wimp out and take the car tomorrow.

Last night i develop a high temperature on top of the other symptoms so i get up in the morning thinking " lets see how wee feel in a bit "
Phoned work to say i will not be in and i am off to the doctors just in case i need something a bit stronger.

Moral of the story ..

"Don`t be a martyr to the bike "

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's simple: the cold virus thrives in the damp conditions in your upper respiratory tract and part of your body's defence mechanism is to raise its temperature to the point where the virus can no longer reproduce. Interfere with that mechanism and you might as well give the viruses an olympic swimming pool and tell them to have fun.

Your defences will have been at a low ebb so now you have a secondary bacterial infection and you need some Amoxy.

Wash hands as soon as you get home, break the habit of rubbing your eyes and picking your nose, which transmits cold viruses into the mucosa. Get some Corsodyl and gargle with it as soon as you feel a sore throat. Take zinc as well but ignore the bollocks about vitamin C.

Blue

Legendary Member
Obviously you had symptoms 'below the neck' and should have eased up. That said, I hope you get well very soon.

I've tried to train through illness before and it just doesn't work. You've got to listen to your body, if its telling you to rest that's what you should do.

MickL

Über Member
I had crappy chest infection this year, I went to the doc's, I told him I do a lot cycling as its my main form of transport. He you got to stop, Ive seen younger fitter men(the cheek), ride bikes and continue to exercise end up in hospital in a very bad way. So I took two weeks of work and three weeks of the bike.

yello

Moral of the story ..

Wise words.

In fact, I would extend them from the bike to the work place too. Sadly, not everyone sees it that way (particularly and understandably employers!) and there are all manner of silly MTFU expectations in relation to colds and flu.

In my humble opinion, I reckon everybody is better served if you give yourself time to recover fully before getting back on the bike or going into work.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tried the MTFU approach to recuperation from illness once and ended up unconscious behind a dry stone wall!

I rode straight up one of the steep hills surrounding Hebden Bridge and the effort nearly killed me. I felt myself blacking out and just managed to get off the road before my body's lights went out. I came round some minutes later on the other side of the wall, lying on a pile of leaves.

It scared me so much that I've never tried anything like that again. When I'm ill now, I accept it and let my body sort itself out properly before exerting myself.

Noodley

For the past 2 or 3 days I have thought I had a cold coming on, but jept up the turbo sessions...did an hour last night and this morning I feel as if someone has hit me with a shovel...Lemsip now being consumed.

Crankarm

Guru
For the last 2 weeks i have had a stinking cold, the full works with mucus cough, nose running constantly yet i religiously cycle commuted to work as i was convinced that i was on the mend and 2 10 mile trips a day and a manual job where i can be in and out of a cold warehouse would not affect me .
Yesterday i got a lot worse, people at work were saying i should not have been in at all.So i struggle home and decide to wimp out and take the car tomorrow.

Last night i develop a high temperature on top of the other symptoms so i get up in the morning thinking " lets see how wee feel in a bit "
Phoned work to say i will not be in and i am off to the doctors just in case i need something a bit stronger.

Moral of the story ..

Forgive me if I have missed something, but ............... did you not go to your GP? You could have developed pneumnonia which can kill.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Forgive me if I have missed something, but ............... did you not go to your GP? You could have developed pneumnonia which can kill.

Yes crank in my OP i said i was off to the Doctors:blush:

Still feeling like crap but at least the medication is cutting through it now and i can breathe , sleeping a lot as well.Should be ok for work Monday but any thoughts of a weekend ride have been shelved.

cjb

In an earlier life, I had a training partner who did the London Marathon while suffering from a cold (well he'd trained 6 months for it, hadn't he!). His heartrate went right off the scale and he was hospitalised for a week. His running was never the same after that.

Top Bottom