Cycling with two kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

womblechops

I have the helios tandem and it was great with the kids. I also got bigger thighs with the weight!

However, I now have the double sized rear rack and two copilot child seats clogging up the garage so if you wanted to just buy your helios tandem I'd do you a good deal on the "child carrying" bits.

(And if anyone has a pair of crank shorteners that would fit a five year old, drop me a line!)

e-rider

crappy member
So, with mini User482 mk2 on the way, inevitably my thoughts have turned to bike transport arrangements...

I use a Croozer trailer (great bit of kit btw) for our daughter, who is coming up to 2 years old, but how am I going to transport the new arrival as well? A double trailer is out because the pinch gates on many of the paths round here are too narrow. The Helios tandem looks interesting but I fear is over budget.

So what do you do?
I use a double trailer and just cycle around the pinch gates (which are often too narrow) but can always get round them

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Congratulations, I'd missed the news.
My vote for a baby seat on the rear and keep using the trailer as a temporary measure. Then switch to trail-a-bike for the elder and into the trailer for Mk2. But doublecheck those pinch points to make absolutely certain a double trailer can't fit--that's got the be the cheapest and easiest option!

I don't think you'd be able to use a tagalong bike and a trailer at the same time.

Canrider

Guru
I don't think you'd be able to use a tagalong bike and a trailer at the same time.

I'm sure I've seen a family with Dad, Mum, teen on a triple, child in a tagalong and baby in a trailer. Memory could be faulty though!

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
I did actually try this once, bit of a laugh, but you've got to know your route, as reversing back up a narrow dead end path is a bit of a mission :popcorn:

haptree

My Aunt used to pick 3 of us up from school on her bike and cycle us all home, one on handle bars, one on top tube and one on the back hanging on for dear life! No helmets of course! :smile: Never fell off but I certainly wouldn't try it with my own kids!

I have a Workcycles Fr8 with Yepp Mini on the front; see their website for child-options on bike. However if you're in newborn territory it's either a sling attached to you; or in the carseat in the trailer. Mini SHK is actually still 'too young' for the Yepp Mini but he's huge and has good head control so we've had him in it for a good few weeks now. I can post a pic if you would like :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I moved to Hebden Bridge in 1986, I noticed a local cyclist riding about with his 2-year old twins on his bike, one on a rear child seat, and one on a seat bolted to the top tube. I eventually got to know him. I saw him the other day picking his grandson up from school, presumably the child of one of the twins. Where does the time go! :whistle:

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
My problem here is slightly different and I wonder if you good CCers could help.

I have 2 children of 7 and 10. My 7 year old loves riding and will do it at the "drop of a hat" but has no road sense yet, and my 10 year old has just learnt to ride and is ok with the concept but needs encouragement.

My intent is to get a "long bike" like a Kona, Surly or Madsen but need to know which one, and which one would gives us the longest amount of use. Ideally I would like to be able to have both my daughters on the bench at the back with me until they don't want to anymore, to use the bike as a car replacement as much as possible.

And please - no one mention the wife getting a bike and riding! That has been done to death and unless every car is taken off the road will never happen.

So which bike would be best to get?

OP
OP
U

User482

Some work with a tape measure tells me that a double Chariot is only 7cm wider than my Croozer, so I think that's the way to go after all.

OP
OP
U

User482

A Burley D'lite arrived chez User482 this week. First impressions are very positive - it seems well made, has adjustable suspension and plenty of room inside. I'll be doing a test ride soon to see which paths and gates it'll fit through.

Linford

I would have thought that quality suspension would be a must in a trailer and then when the baby is led down in a car seat given the quality of the roads now. I'd be disinclined to put a child under the age of 2 on a cycle in an upright seat as they don't have the strength in their necks to support their heads properly when getting bounced around.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I would have thought that quality suspension would be a must in a trailer and then when the baby is led down in a car seat given the quality of the roads now. I'd be disinclined to put a child under the age of 2 on a cycle in an upright seat as they don't have the strength in their necks to support their heads properly when getting bounced around.

My daughter has been in an upright seat since 1. The back of it comes right up and around so she can lean her head against it. We haven't had any issues.
Don't bother with a helmet for her though, so that makes the holding up of head less problematic.

Top Bottom