Cycling with two kids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

So, with mini User482 mk2 on the way, inevitably my thoughts have turned to bike transport arrangements...

I use a Croozer trailer (great bit of kit btw) for our daughter, who is coming up to 2 years old, but how am I going to transport the new arrival as well? A double trailer is out because the pinch gates on many of the paths round here are too narrow. The Helios tandem looks interesting but I fear is over budget.

So what do you do?

VamP

Banned
Engage the help of a partner.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
On Sunday we shared a ferry with a hundred or so cyclists and a couple who'd bought two cheap tandems, taken the pedals off the stoker cranks and stuck one child on each stoker seat plus one in a child seat. They'd bodged up a footrest for each larger child so that they didn't get their feet in the way of the bikes' operation.

I'm not a good judge of children's ages, but I'd guess 6, 4 and 2 or so. Those tandems will last until the largest one can use a bike of its own. If you stuck User482 major on a saddle as soon as she can sit upright and still, User482 minor can go in the trailer or on a child seat.

OP
OP
U

User482

Thanks for the tips. Primary use will be for the nursery run - the trailer is great for that because I can leave it there and pedal to work. The tandem idea is interesting, as it has the advantage of being adaptable as the kids get older. I believe there is a device that allows children to pedal but I've no idea how well it works.

U

User169

we have one of these...

(the thing attached to the rack is a buggy carrier)

Sparta-Amazone-Classic-Black.jpg

Sara_H

Guru
OH tells me that he used to ride with one boy on a seat that mounted on the cross bar in front of him, one boy on a rear seat and one on a trail gator.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
[QUOTE 2448141, member: 45"]A trailer and a weeride.[/quote]
^^^This is what I do.^^^
* I have a double trailer and never had a problem with pinch points *

Lyn

Hi
Not sure if it's too late but we have a Croozer - the one for 2 kids and I haven't had any problems with pinch points or narrow gates. It's fairly well-contained and easy to manoeuvre. Our oldest is not 5-and-a-half and she still squeezes in on rainy days when it's pouring and too wet to ride to school.
If it's of interest to anyone out there looking at trailers, here's a blog about how we chose ours and the pros and cons of the 2-seater Croozer:
http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/blog/our-future-cyclist-takes-to-the-road.html
Cheers
Lyn

Canrider

Guru
Congratulations, I'd missed the news.
My vote for a baby seat on the rear and keep using the trailer as a temporary measure. Then switch to trail-a-bike for the elder and into the trailer for Mk2. But doublecheck those pinch points to make absolutely certain a double trailer can't fit--that's got the be the cheapest and easiest option!

Lyn

The other good thing about the double trailer (if it works with pinch points etc) is that both kids have protection when it's really hot or raining. Our eldest now rides her own bike, but if her little legs get tired or if it's particularly cold/raining, she can still jump in the trailer. If we're cycling near home or in a circular route, we just lock the bike up somewhere and pick it up on the way back/later.

domtyler

Über Member
My youngest does amazing things on a mini-micro scooter, she's only three but the way she flies around on it is awesome, could be worth a try for yours?

Top Bottom