Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nagden

Über Member
Average -2C and min -3C and it snowed for a brief period, freezing fog entire ride. Safely round and now home.

Hats off to you. That is dedication.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
This morning was the first time I've done any of the Zwift 'Unicorn' workouts. Most of them are very long (1hr30m+), but the Lavendar (sic) Unicorn is a half-hour job. I was expecting to find it relatively benign, but it's got an 18-minute block of Z3 with 90s spikes of Z5/6 thrown in, which made it actually pretty tough. Jo was doing 20 minutes on the treadmill beside me :okay:.

1701943755961.png

The threshold workout Red Slate-4 was in my Trainer Road training plan today. I dint quite have the cadence edge today though, whether its because I’m a bit tired, my bananas were too green (so I had an Aldi version of a nutella bake which was too dry) or as it was raining I done the workout with the front door closed and it was 18.2deg C average. Probably a combination of all 3 tbh

:joy:

I’ll probably need a new HR strap soon it doesnt look like the monitor kicked in correctly until towards the end of the first block

Edit I must have forgot to click Reply after typing Tuesday's VO2 max session but it was more 'Spinny' in 15deg C ave with the front door ajar, even after a wee bit of a harder warm up than I originally planned. Too much Z3 HR (and occasionally Z4 HR) on my 31mile round commute. Especially as on Tuesday night when I got of the train it was
:cold_face:
and I felt I had to go fast to keep warm. I don’t know if it was psychological but it was hard to get going on Tuesday (or perhaps I just needed to get some carbs into my system) as I seemed to finish off better than I started. Although my legs are feeling it after

1701980531940.png

Last edited:
I had an endurance workout (Harrah) in my Masters Plan tonight and chose to my commute again. Lol its all change again weatherwise and was a mild 10/9 deg C so I stopped for a pic/vid of one of the houses in a village (it had been too cold previously).

View: https://youtu.be/v40FPXXnFjU

4751d89b4e8918ac5793b2127a4955db2586358c.jpg

Lol, in the office my colleagues were talking about a famous cat who likes to sit on the train gates/barriers at the station, and I said in 3 years I hadn’t saw it. Guess who I saw tonight

Not really a workout but that was followed by a 4.4mile ride to the house and I was greeted by my Christmas Decoration delivery, so I duly put them up
:wink:

image1536×2048 185 KB

Decided to go on road today and loaded up a TR outside workout (Electra). Electra is a manageable Tempo workout I quite like for passing time. I was also using my winter bike with no PM so it was done on RPE/HR I made my way down to near the Holly Lodge Cafe but I made the mistake of pressing lap when I didn’t need to so I ended up with one 10 minute tempo interval short. So I did it after the cool down. Towards the end of that I realised I was near an OS tile that I needed to bag so I diverted down a steep lane which was a wee bit flooded at the bottom and the timer page had no %HR max so it looks like I dropped out of the Tempo HR zone. After I bagged the tile I loaded Electra again so I could do it right. I did stop briefly for coffee and cake after the 2nd 10min interval. I made it a quick one as it was forecasted to turn wet.

Screenshot_20231210-142239_Strava

After Electra was finished I decided to do some 60/60s at tempo to make sure I beat the rain. I did just
:+1:

https://youtube.com/shorts/YR-14gJMcpw

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A VO2 max workout today, four hill repeats of 4 minutes each. Roads are wet and flood other side of hill when I rolled down at the end.

1702386774200.png

I had a VO2max workout in my calendar tonight (South Twin) and if Intervals/ Strava Sauce are right I just about emptied the tank W’ wise although I didn’t quite average the 125% for the 2min intervals targeted. I marked it as ‘All Out’ in TrainerRoad's post ride survey as there was a lot of standing up. That got me a further struggle survey and its been a long day after an early start so I put it down to sleep.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I had a VO2max workout in my calendar tonight (South Twin) and if Intervals/ Strava Sauce are right I just about emptied the tank W’ wise although I didn’t quite average the 125% for the 2min intervals targeted. I marked it as ‘All Out’ in TrainerRoad's post ride survey as there was a lot of standing up. That got me a further struggle survey and its been a long day after an early start so I put it down to sleep.

View attachment 715971

View attachment 715972

Call that emptying the tank?
F2AA6E08-AD50-4AA7-8CE1-7587333422D8.jpeg

I had a Under/ Over Threshold workout in my TrainerRoad calendar tonight (Ritter -4). After the sprint at the end of the first 15 mins block according to intervals I had just about emptied the tank again (W’ wise). But although I felt close to that, I think there was a wee bit more and certainly not the completely drained and in debt state like @Legs 💪. I concentrated on upping the cadence in the 2nd block (9 mins) which saw me drop out of the threshold zone slightly until I got up to rpm
:neutral_face:

I did the workout again with the front door open and that got the background temperature down to 11/12 deg C, which was a good thing because I forgot my head band
:sweat:

My Workout today was an Endurance/ recovery one and as I’ve done quite a few times I did it on my commute. Although given there’s a lot of flooding I stuck to main roads and drifted out of the Endurance HR zone a few times. I averaged roughly where I wanted to be 59% Max HR but I drifted up to 75% max HR. Probably up the fast and busy main road into Knebworth

Top Bottom