Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
well that was a bust !
6 miles in i had to answer the door as mrs ck didnt want too, cue losing the pacer group and opening the door in just my bib shorts !
then another 15 miles to make this mornings target

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
well that was a bust !
6 miles in i had to answer the door as mrs ck didnt want too, cue losing the pacer group and opening the door in just my bib shorts !
then another 15 miles to make this mornings target

But at least you cheered up the Jehova's Witnesses.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Mostly training my ability to swim. An hour of strength endurance training.

IMG_0181.jpeg

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I agreed my 2024 Goals with my Coach yesterday - and below is my high level plan for the year.

2024 Goals

Process Goals – Most important ones!!

Jan-Feb training focus to be on base fitness with only a small amount of higher intensity work during these months. HI to come from Zwift races and some outdoor sessions. Also include some low cadence strength work both outdoors and indoors.

Mar-Apr block to start with focus on Lifting FTP (VO2Max sessions, then a block of miles in Calpe with some hill efforts while out there to continue VO2MAX building. During April include some more race specific work to achieve some race fitness for May. This period will also include some races but no goals or targets for these. Continue with low cadence work.

May period to include more race specific efforts aimed at achieving performance goals. Race as much as possible and ride “before” events if possible to increase training effect gained from races.

June – focus on BMCR RR Champs and riding “training” races to fine tune form for this event. After BMCR Crit champs big block of training to prep for RR Champs.

July – easier couple of weeks early in the month - mid season recovery period – then start to build again for remainder of the month. Might also include BC Champs TBC. Possible visit to Roy’s based around riding TLI Crit champs course at UCLAN (Preston)

August – first 2 weeks is a big block of training and the focus is TLI Crit and RR champs as they are only 1 week apart. Like June “training” races and fine tuning will be important. Possible visit to Roy’s based around riding TLI Crit champs course at UCLAN (Preston)

Continue year-round stretching and flexibility

Performance Goals

Achieve FTP of =>280W by end April – measure using 30 min test

5 min average power to be =>380w by end of April

30s min average power to be =>750w by end May (race finishes)

1 min average power to be =>600w by end of June (crossing gaps)

Maintain CTL of =>100 for the months of June and August

Outcome Goals

Maintain 69-70kg as competing weight April through to September

National Champs podium – road or crit

2 race wins during the year

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
.... and now I have 2 FTP tests next week. Indoor on Monday and outdoor on Saturday. Roy likes me to do 30 minute efforts to determine my FTP. Ouch.

I’m sure we could all agree that he should make you just do the full 60mins until you fall off the bike, and if you don’t fall off then clearly you need to repeat the test the following day 😂

Those are some good challenging goals Martin. Best of luck with it. I haven’t been as honest to set any goals yet which I really should. I’ll take a look back over the last 12 months, as thats when I refound my mojo, and set myself a few targets too.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I’m sure we could all agree that he should make you just do the full 60mins until you fall off the bike, and if you don’t fall off then clearly you need to repeat the test the following day 😂

Those are some good challenging goals Martin. Best of luck with it. I haven’t been as honest to set any goals yet which I really should. I’ll take a look back over the last 12 months, as thats when I refound my mojo, and set myself a few targets too.

Cheers Al. Post them up when you get them figured out.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
6 x 4 min outside VO2 max at lunchtime. Easier taper next week, and event next Sat. Hill in better shape this week, no trees or streams to avoid!

IMG_0243.jpeg

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I had to do an indoor FTP Test this week. Roy favours an all-out 30 minute effort which he then "rounds" down to an appropriate FTP. I averaged 260W for the 30 mins and he's set my indoor FTP at 255W now. I'm usually 10ish Watts higher outdoors and weather permitting I have to do the same test outside on Saturday.

Finally got back to indoor training with a VO2 Max workout (Mount Deborah -1, 5x3 @ 105-109%) today. It started OK enough but in staying relatively comfortable to target I let my self naturally stand up and dance on the pedals in the last two intervals. You can perhaps see that in the cadence.

Some one moved in over Christmas to the upstairs Maisonette so in the interests of being a good neighbour I did the workout in the small ring. I’m quite happy with the noise (or lack of) results. I maybe should have did it with the front door open to control the temperature. I think when I decided it was too hot I mentally resorted to the relatively comfortable standing up
:thinking:

Top Bottom