Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
You’re welcome to use my routes but it might be better if I give you some more general route info and you plot your own - so far I’ve just done some out and back type routes. Where about are you staying?

We're staying in Costa Adeje. I know the Teide routes but not done much else.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've just agreed my 2024 Goals with my Coach and he's sketched out the high level Plan for me. I've attached it below as 1. It makes me more accountable and 2. I think some of you will find it of interest....

Performance Goals
Achieve FTP of =>280W by end April – measure using 30 min test
5 min average power to be =>380w by end of April
30s min average power to be =>750w by end May (race finishes)
1 min average power to be =>600w by end of June (crossing gaps)
Maintain CTL of =>100 for the months of June and August

Roy asked me to do a 1 min max power test this week during my 2.5 hr Endurance ride. In the end I did 2 x 1 min efforts and 1 x 30 sec effort - two of them timed to coincide with Strava Segments I have been chasing.

I managed 711W for 30 secs and 551W for 1 min - which compare to season targets (above) of 750W and 600W respectively, so getting within reach. In the process I smashed my PRs on the 2 segments, getting a 2nd and 3rd in the All time Leaderboards - so all in all, quite a successful ride.

First workout of a recovery week in my plan was tonight and I did it on my commute. After the initial cycle path section when on road out of town I didn't pay attention to the computer but traffic so I exceeded my target HR a bit :blush:

1706050980527.png

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
On my Strava feed this morning Davide Formolo has got in this epic in which includes both Teide and Masca 😯
View attachment 719679
https://strava.app.link/8aipNiosCGb

Missed him…darn…i was up Teide today on the main route up from Adeje then took the descent from VILAFLOR to Granadilla. Passed a few pro looking boys (they were on the way down as i ascended. Useless garmin / iPhone combo wont upload my ride so looks like it didn’t happen 😂. 2.5 hours steady climb from the autopista to where the climb peaks out. I’ll have to wait to get home and connect to the laptop.

Entered the speciality phase of my Trainer Road TT Plan today and by coincidence I purchased a new gear cable for the TT bike. I’ll have to think about getting the TT bike out soon for workouts, so it truly is a speciality workout, but the shorter wheel base Ti road bike is a lot easier to get out of the cupboard and set up in my front hall with the front door ajar for cooling
:thinking:

I also maybe should have done it in the back garden or with the front door fully open as it was an average of 17deg tonight and 20deg a one point so I didn't confidently up the cadence (the white line in the above graph) until the last few minutes of the blocks.

Furkuk

Regular
Hi all, quick introduction. I’m 63, 204lbs and always enjoyed leisure cycling. I tend to average just over 1000 miles year at an average speed of 10mph. Thought of myself as reasonably fit until I did an FTP test last week which says that I’m lucky to be able to walk never mind cycle 😂😂😂 so seeing as I’ve got a Garmin, HRM and smart trainer I thought it was time to get fit. I’m going to alternate interval training with recovery ride every other day and see if there’s any improvement in a month. My long term goal to reduce my heart rate and increase my power. Attached should be my FTP test and my first attempts at interval training. I’ll update the progress at the end of February. Hopefully it’ll help other unfit riders 🤔😊

Attachments

• IMG_4118.jpeg
    IMG_4118.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 11

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Hi all, quick introduction. I’m 63, 204lbs and always enjoyed leisure cycling. I tend to average just over 1000 miles year at an average speed of 10mph. Thought of myself as reasonably fit until I did an FTP test last week which says that I’m lucky to be able to walk never mind cycle 😂😂😂 so seeing as I’ve got a Garmin, HRM and smart trainer I thought it was time to get fit. I’m going to alternate interval training with recovery ride every other day and see if there’s any improvement in a month. My long term goal to reduce my heart rate and increase my power. Attached should be my FTP test and my first attempts at interval training. I’ll update the progress at the end of February. Hopefully it’ll help other unfit riders 🤔😊

Good luck with your training. Are you using Zwift or other software platform for your workouts?

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member

Nice one, welcome.

I'm the same age as you. Cycling is a great way to get fit and get out and about. At some point maybe think about adding some strength and mobility stuff (if you don't already).

In the short term, just getting on your bike more regularly should have a quick positive impact on your fitness. Keep us updated :okay:

HR is a funny thing, it could get lower because you are getting fitter but it can also get lower because your worn out, remember to factor in a rest day. Whilst I'm no coach the general guidance I think if you have power ignore HR for the hard work, ignore power and use HR for the recovery stuff, and perhaps ignore both and push to the Max for VO2Max workouts. Good luck and welcome to the club 👍

Top Bottom