Cyclist assaulted by white van man.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Just back to the original incident, a Police Caution is a criminal conviction in law. It's exactly the same as being taken to court, pleading guilty and then being bound over to keep the peace.

Having a criminal record for assault will have all kinds of effects on his life, from not being eligible for visa waiver programmes (like ESTA for the USA) to being barred from many types of employment. While I'd have preferred to see the driver receive a court-ordered penalty as well, it's not a trivial outcome. It's clear from the video that the cyclist slapped the van then lied to police about it, so I think in the circumstances he should probably be glad it didn't go to court: perjury is a more serious offence than common assault.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Why are people going on about PCSO? I have no ambition to become one and never will. It was an idea that I had ages ago which has now passed. I find it odd that people keep reverting to it.

Why are people going on about PCSO? I have no ambition to become one and never will. It was an idea that I had ages ago which has now passed. I find it odd that people keep reverting to it.

Fair enough... You had posted something about your lack of Welsh thwarting your ambition to become one and it sounded quite a deep-seated yearning. You appeared to have researched it and thought seriously about it.

... and you continue to lecture members of the general public about their road behaviour in a way that suggests you long for something like the power of a PCSO.

It seems widely believed on these pages that you have ambitions in that direction. If you do not, you do not.

I no longer have ambitions to become involved with Cameron Diaz. I wish she and everyone else would stop going on at me about it.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
... and you continue to lecture members of the general public about their road behaviour in a way that suggests you long for something like the power of a PCSO.
PCSO's dont have any special powers. They just have a better understanding of the law. They dont even have power of arrest, they can only citizens arrest you (just like every other member of the public). I could make my own uniform, write some kind of 'enforcement officer' on the back which has no relation to any existing uniforms or officers, then walk around town. I bet a lot of people would respect me and even approach me with problems.

NB: This is speculative, I am not actually saying that I will do that however the principal still stands.

PCSO's dont have any special powers. They just have a better understanding of the law. They dont even have power of arrest, they can only citizens arrest you (just like every other member of the public). I could make my own uniform, write some kind of 'enforcement officer' on the back which has no relation to any existing uniforms or officers, then walk around town. I bet a lot of people would respect me and even approach me with problems.

NB: This is speculative, I am not actually saying that I will do that however the principal still stands.

I think you've hit on something here.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
[QUOTE 2566740, member: 1314"]We will get to the ironic position where I have to be sensitive to police hassling me s I have to understand that they have no people skills?

Those young members of the Met (I only know Met police from rugby) are intelligent, socially aware and sociable. I like them, It's not so long ago Matthew was talking about how much he disliked the Welsh culture and wanted to move to England. I'm being emphatic by saying that I don't want him anywhere near a Police public facing role, well, not n London anyway. Where there is loads of Welsh and other types of culture.

He'll be good in a technical role. He joins the police...you serious?[/quote]

I didn't say he should or shouldn't join the police or PCSO. I wouldn't presume to know him well enough to say one way or another.
What I do know is that the way you said it, if not the actual content, was a very long way from the empathy you said he was lacking in.

I think he did it because he's a teenager who thinks he is always right and knows everything... I believe they are sometimes referred to as 'Kevins' in honour of the Enfield character.

I'm a teenager and I dont think i'm always right and i dont know everything... not saying that I agree with what Matthew did in anyway but thats a harsh generalization, especially as alot of us recognize if we are in the wrong and can apologize if need be...

Bman

Guru
Some one very near and dear to me happens to be called Kevin and they strongly resent the perpetuation of the name being used as a term of ridicule. It's not my er, their fault tha they were given this name and it is unfair that they have to suffer like this. I mean it's not as if I'm He's called Wayne or anything that tragic so lay off with the unfair prejudice if you don't mind becuase it upsets my friend. Not me obviously who have a perfectly acceptable name which has no negative connotations what so ever.

A. Hitler.
home-alone.jpg

Top Bottom